logo
Old 01-13-2015, 12:51 AM
Who put that tree there?
Fort McMurray AB
Joined Mar 2008
7,057 Posts

Here is the video of my 176 when I first got it and ran it up on the stock mufflers and a Mej 30x13 EvoL. I later tried a set of KS 95 cans and the rpm jumped to 6250.

Super08 is offline Find More Posts by Super08
Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 AM
Pensacola, Florida
Joined Jan 2006
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
I have flown both the GP 176 EVO and zdz 180 in the same plane. Oh, and a dle 222 ;-)

This is my observations.

For torque and throttle response and lightest weight , the zdz 180 hands down. It's a beast.
GP 176 EVO, good throttle response but doesn't have the low and midrange torque of the zdz.
The GP 176 would unload in the air to within a 100 rpm of the zdz at full throttle. But took a few extra seconds to get there.
Out of a hover, you could feel the GP was loaded more. It wouldn't rev out fully like the zdz could.
Throttle response on the same prop wasn't quite as instant and crisp as the zdz.

Now, all that said......
The GP is a much easier engine to run. Easier to tune, easier to start, a bit smoother running. Doesn't hit as hard. It is a solid reliable motor. Fuel, flip and fly. Over and over

I wouldn't hesitate to own another one if I went back to bigger planes again

Curious what exhaust systems were on the two engines.
BOATNIK is offline Find More Posts by BOATNIK
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 AM
Learn 1 thing new Every Day
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
1,890 Posts

I was using RE3 pipes at the time . Plane Bender didn't have the large Smooth pipes then.

The plane was an EMHW 50% Ultimate. Weighed in at 48 lbs
Flying around carving big lines. I flew with a Falcon 32x12 carbon. For slower 3D type flying, I would use the Falcon 32x11 wide.
Bdegan is offline Find More Posts by Bdegan
Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 PM
USA, FL, Cape Coral
Joined May 2008
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats View Post
I have 4 176 evo's all on Pro Flow cans except one on Pro Flow smooth pipes. The cans are great for low and slow 3D. They will not ad power but make for great midrange transition. The piped one is a rocket. It turns 7400rpm on the ground with the 3W 3D prop. I do not open it up much in the air but the crisp mid power is incredible.
Is the GP176 & smooth pipes combo usable for 3D or should one better go with cans instead?

Thomas
bluelevel is offline Find More Posts by bluelevel
Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Trolls need love too.
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2012
1,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelevel View Post
Is the GP176 & smooth pipes combo usable for 3D or should one better go with cans instead?

Thomas
I was concerned about the same thing but hence the name "Smoothpipe" is worth its weight in gold. Unlike most tuned pipes the mid range is fantastic. I am a low and slow 3D person so mid range is really important to me. One thing I tell people is if it's a new engine don't judge the smooth pipes until you get about 10-15 gallons threw it and it's fully broke in. I actually broke mine in on cans for 15 gallons and then went to the pipes. I have seen a couple others use the combo with positive results. Planebender can give you great tips on tuning for them.

The smooth pipes are usable for 3D IMO.
Spats is offline Find More Posts by Spats
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Learn 1 thing new Every Day
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
1,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelevel View Post

Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats View Post
I was concerned about the same thing but hence the name "Smoothpipe" is worth its weight in gold. Unlike most tuned pipes the mid range is fantastic. I am a low and slow 3D person so mid range is really important to me. One thing I tell people is if it's a new engine don't judge the smooth pipes until you get about 10-15 gallons threw it and it's fully broke in. I actually broke mine in on cans for 15 gallons and then went to the pipes. I have seen a couple others use the combo with positive results. Planebender can give you great tips on tuning for them.

The smooth pipes are usable for 3D IMO.
Agreed
I have had the 35cc pipes on a da 70. And the medium smooth pipes on an eme 60, DA60 and GP 61.
no issues here. Very user friendly for slow 3D.
A buddy f mine has large smooth pipes. Used on an mvvs 190 quad and a GP 176 EVO.
And another friend had a large smooth pipe on a zdz 90.
They were all easy to tune and fly nice 3 D with .
Bdegan is offline Find More Posts by Bdegan