Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by yakwards
Check it bleed,bro was on.
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Apr 2010
2,477 Posts
Practicing on the sim at 50% physics speed helped me alot.If you have'nt tried that yet,give it a shot.It allows you to time your inputs which to me is a good starting point.I also noticed a drastic improvement when I stopped blurping the throttle & kept it stationary.The roll became more consistent.
yakwards is offline Find More Posts by yakwards
Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
May try that.
Tks...
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by rcrunnerdawn
Joined Aug 2011
37 Posts
this is very helpful, been practicing for weeks and still cant get it down, thanks!
rcrunnerdawn is offline Find More Posts by rcrunnerdawn
Old 11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts
Dont' feel bad. It took me a couple of years to even be able to consistently keep my plane in the air, and another couple of years before I have full directional control. Leseberg talks about putting 1000+ hrs to get that maneuver down.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by deason
Old dog, New tricks
United States, TN, Munford
Joined Jul 2011
333 Posts
I have no problems with slow-roll, etc. But when it comes to rolling harriers, I have screwed up and learned with elevator only. No control. I can complete the circle but it is still not as smooth as it should be. Any pointers on how to "un learn" this and do it the correct way? As info, i do have a sim.
deason is offline Find More Posts by deason
Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts
slow down your roll rate, and that will help you get the feel for the stir going.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Just my two cents---------I have heard others say this too. My foamy helped me. 6 months later and rolling left no prob. Now rolling right but not 10 feet off thedeck. Get a foamy. You do them into the wind and you really get the feel for the stir in relation to plane orientation. And bam you are stirring with out thinking. I sit on the couch too and practice the stir with trans in hand. Have too train your fingers.

And it is easier to keep the high alpha when you do not blurp the throttle too. And it is easier when you are lower. You can see it better.

I by no means am the expert and i am sure most are better then me but this is what worked for me.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Last edited by parpar1; 01-11-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Just Do It
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Apr 2008
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post
slow down your roll rate, and that will help you get the feel for the stir going.
I have the same problem as you being only successful using aileron and elevator. Along Docs comment I put my aileron dual rates on one switch and rudder and elevator on another. So it is much easier to work with.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,079 Posts
I am only about 8 hours into learning to 3D on the Sim, I made a point of learning rolling manouvers both ways from the start. But other than not being able to get 3 rolls in a row max before things go pear shaped, or perhaps one more with just elevator, i am wondering if my control set up needs work, when I fly the big extra and S12 on Pheonix V3 I have issues keeping the nose high enough. I am still on the default Sim and TX settings with 80% rates.

anyone have a good idea what changes I need to make to get 3D controls while also keeping it realistic in flight performance?

I am a way newbie to 3D stuff. It wasn't around when I gave up the hobby.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
I am only about 8 hours into learning to 3D on the Sim, I made a point of learning rolling manouvers both ways from the start. But other than not being able to get 3 rolls in a row max before things go pear shaped, or perhaps one more with just elevator, i am wondering if my control set up needs work, when I fly the big extra and S12 on Pheonix V3 I have issues keeping the nose high enough. I am still on the default Sim and TX settings with 80% rates.

anyone have a good idea what changes I need to make to get 3D controls while also keeping it realistic in flight performance?

I am a way newbie to 3D stuff. It wasn't around when I gave up the hobby.
The stock models should be able to do rolling harriers just fine. I tend to tweak the models to my liking but until you learn there isn't much you can tweak to make it easier.

If you can't keep the nose up you need to introduce more throttle into your stir. I pump some throttle along with rudder so my stick kind of makes a figure 8 shape(mode 2). Of course there needs to be more or less input depending on the direction you want the plane to go and what corrections are needed...so it is no a perfect figure 8 shape. You must keep in mind that you are still flying the plane through the whole manuever...not just moving the sticks in a pattern and expecting results.

Learn 4 and 8 point rolls and rolling circles first. It makes things much easier.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by deason
Old dog, New tricks
United States, TN, Munford
Joined Jul 2011
333 Posts
[QUOTE=
I am a way newbie to 3D stuff. It wasn't around when I gave up the hobby.[/QUOTE]

Same here.... i got out of this hobby in 1998, after 10 years. Got back in September 2010 Now I find myself trying to fly with the "new crowd" of 3-d. Years of flying sport and precision makes you hesitant to "slow down" that slow.

Very, very challenging flight the 3-d envelope is. But, challenging is very gratifying.
deason is offline Find More Posts by deason
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by William Storzuk
Live to Fly Another Day
Canada, QC, Boucherville
Joined Apr 2006
456 Posts
I have no problem with the rolling harrier at a constant speed, as soon as, i introduce some throttle stick movement, it throws off my rythem and i crash on the sims. WHY?
William Storzuk is offline Find More Posts by William Storzuk
Last edited by William Storzuk; 01-16-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Storzuk View Post
I have no problem with the rolling harrier at a constant speed, as soon as, i introduce some throttle stick movement, it throws off my rythm and i crash on the sims. WHY?
unsure, but it's sounds like you're making progress! just keep practicing! (there's no other answer really... it's a 15 minute explanation and all the rest is years of practice).
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Will I had the same problem. For me I realized it was because the throttle would mess up my rudder, with me only doind half input. IE I would only use right rudder, my thumb was so used to traveling say two centimeters then going back, that if I added in the horizontal component of the throttle, I would move say 1.5 cm up for throttle and only .5 cm left for rudder so I would lose the rudder very quickly

although now I can happily say that after 150 or so hours on the sim , I have rollers down. Starting from any orientation, rolling any direction. Now to take the stir to the field!
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck

Quick Reply