Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
Any military anything nearby?

Any military overflights?

Radars- weather or otherwise?

Broadcast tv antennae ( the crazy high ones) are very directional- are you inline with any of those?

Any consistent complaints from field neighbors- could they be jamming signals? This could appear as no-service on cell phones but I've no idea.

Grasping at straws also.
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by Street2strip1320
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2013
56 Posts
Only thing I know of is the tower they built in the hills. About 20 miles out. It does seem to be happening in the same spot. Now that being said I would hate to point at the field, because its been there for 10 years, and everyone is really nice. My friends gram pa is the vice president of the field. But most those guys are on fm.
Street2strip1320 is offline Find More Posts by Street2strip1320
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by MaceH
DA rocks
Joined Jun 2011
1,078 Posts
I used to fly my dsm2 sailplanes right through spread spectrum oilfield telemetry beams- no issues. That is what the FCC is there to do- keep signals separate. Jammers won't obey those rules though.

Does anyone know about 2.4ghz spectrum sharing? What else is on our bandwidth?
MaceH is offline Find More Posts by MaceH
Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Apr 2013
56 Posts
Just to answer your question, not saying at all this would efect us but cordless phones and baby monitors, blue tueth, car alarms, motion sencors in car alarms, wifi. Seems most simple house hold stuff uses it
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Do you have many baby montiors at your flying field?

If you really want to know how these things work get the 2.4 radio clinic DVD from Radio Carbon Art.

It's the black helicopters, make sure you wear this.....
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Do you have many baby montiors at your flying field?

If you really want to know how these things work get the 2.4 radio clinic DVD from Radio Carbon Art.

It's the black helicopters, make sure you wear this.....
Sometimes you are just so BAD Andy.....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
It's all in fun.... I have a couple of those I like to keep stashed for special occasions so its hard to pass up when one presents itself.

I do have a miliary electronics background though.... and I always get a chuckle about speculation about radar and such.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceH View Post
I like the notion of 'folks should be responsible for their actions', and I totally subscribe to the idea that we are modeling aircraft, and on many levels, all that goes with it. There's mechanical checks, electrical checks, operator checklists, flight prep, postflight prep (yuck, homework) and all that stuff that makes the hobby fun and interesting.

I also think technology should help us... imagine a lipo charger that has no balancer. Operator error if the battery burns up, sure, because he didn't manually balance the cells. So, someone hatches a piece of hardware and writes code to do that for us. I'm just saying there are parts of the system that are not helping us not screw up as much as they could.

I'll go out on a limb and say that a 747 would not let the pilot take off with full trim on a surface. Yes, the pilot should have caught it, but caught that and any one of a hundred other things out of wack? Automation must help us not screw up.
Automation can only go so far. The only trim position monitored on a jet, is elevator trim. If it's out of limits, a warning horn sounds when you advance the throttles for takeoff. That usually means you missed it on the checklist or during preflight. Aileron and rudder trim position is up to the flight crew to be sure they are set correctly.
Dan767 is online now Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
It's all in fun.... I have a couple of those I like to keep stashed for special occasions so its hard to pass up when one presents itself.

I do have a miliary electronics background though.... and I always get a chuckle about speculation about radar and such.
Yeah I know a bit about your background and you generally are really kind to most folks but sometimes it's necessary to lighten the mood.

That's a great pic of the P-3 looking at the angle of attack on the prop blades is just unreal and with the flaps out I don't guess he's pulling a lot of power.

That Lockheed Electra has always been one of my favorite planes and the fact that the US Navy still uses them with numerous mods and updates is just a testement to how far ahead of it's time that airframe was. I don't get to see those birds in military trim, but it's WAY impressive to see them in fire tanker trim and watch 'em work on a wildfire in the mountains around here....
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Flaps are at takeoff/approach, thats full power right after takeoff. 2500 horses each, lightly loaded that plane would scram.

This is one of my favorites (Tango -002) , two of us flying formation down the St Johns river over downtown Jacksonville.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by starzak
Giant Scale only spoken here.
Chacotoma, NM
Joined Dec 2006
350 Posts
" I got bout 100ft out before any disruption. about 70 more then futaba says. the I ran the battery directly into the receiver and did the same test. This time I made it about 130ft out. "

This is a tough one ! Have you considered the possibility of "Shadowing" ? Maybe the fuselage material, paint, engine or other components blocking the signal. Are there vehicles, or even people walking in front of you while you are flying ? Are both the Tx, and Rx Futaba ? Maybe flying that system in an old trainer is in order ? I fly all of the 7 giants that I own on the lowly Spektrum here, and have never had a glitch, and I can't walk the thing out of range doing a ground test. ( but I'm old ) I see that you are in Phoenix, is that where you are having the problem ?

zak
starzak is offline Find More Posts by starzak
Last edited by starzak; 04-19-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Joined Apr 2013
56 Posts
I went out with my 26% extra today. No smart fly. No resistor switch before the reciver. No problems what so ever. Perfect flying day. Same reciver and battery as before. I flew way out too. Only differentcewas a different field.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Futaba recommends aligning the antennae 90 degrees from each other. If you have one going hard right and the other left then they will be parallel, not 90 degrees. Put one going either left or right and the other straight out from the RX.

When you do your low power range check, either go out a hundred feet or so and walk a 360 circle around the plane or even easier, stand still and have a buddy rotate the plane.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Apr 2013
56 Posts
Not a bad idea. Il try that next time.

Quick Reply