logo
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
527 Posts
Discussion
30cc Pilot edge 540 Build

Hi Guys,

I am Please to say i have a pilot edge, This is my first Pilot Plane and Edge as well,(Previous was a Peak Sbach)
I thought i would do a build log on the 30cc as there was not one for this size, Only the 100cc as far as i could find

It arrived this morning from the local distributor and must say it is very well packaged , With timber sides and foam carved out for all the parts to fit into. It does provide great protection.

My first impressions of getting it out of the box was, "everything has been well thought out" All the parts are individually bagged (but not labelled) The wheels look great, Aluminium hubs with bushings and there quite light, Tail wheel looks neat (5 spoke design with pilot name etched).Carbon gear Tubes and all the normal stuff, All Control linkages are pre assembled with ball links (Turn-buckle type, With Spanner included,Its a very complete model and i got a pilot hat too!!!

The fuse look really nice, Plenty on room, Good size can tunnel, Looks built really well, Wings and stabs have counter balances and are all pre hinged, The Rudder is huge But not prefited. Wings look great, Covering & Paint is great, Over all its just a beautiful Plane.

Parts wise im using:

Dle30 V1 - With Rear carb Conversion.+Front Dump canister
Savox 0251 Mg Servos On all Surfaces with A Jr Digital for throttle.
Dubro 14oz Tank (As i have it all pre barbed and setup)
Fromeco Switch
2000mh Eneloop - Ignition
2500mh Nimh - Rxr (But this Change to be a Life or A123 (May go duel batts also)
42% Products ign Cutoff.

I'm loving this colour scheme and the Ultimate style spinner sets it off. Ill be getting to work on in the next few days, Just printing off the manual as didn't seam to get one

Im open for any tips etc that you guys have found when building the edge, Or errors in the manual etc.

Here is some "out of the box" pics , There will be more details type shots to come once i start.
monarocoupe is online now Find More Posts by monarocoupe
Old 03-17-2015, 04:26 AM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
527 Posts

Ok so i got a few small thing done, Like main gear, and axles,Like others have mentioned there an odd design with a nut and a lock nut, not like a conventional dubro part , So holding the nut on the wheel side will not allow you to do it up as it will undo and become loose, Got around this by using some vice grips on the tip of the axle to hold it and then do it up.

The Collars are a dual grub screw design which is nice.
I noticed that it did not come with and canister templates/Mounts, i have emailed tony to see if mine were not packed or if the 30cc does not have them - Im guessing it does not come with any as there is not a traditional tunnel as such, So ill need to fab something up for my can.

Wheels pants and tail wheel are next, Ill post some pics once there on.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,292 Posts

I built one a few months back. With the DLE 35 up front, we had to put a TP 3800 Lipo as far forward as we could for a neutral balance. Still thinking of adding a aluminum spinner for more nose weight. Also, toss those axles in the trash. I have seen a few of them let go. What happens is the axle shaft will come loose from the threads and wonder around. It is just pressed into the thread housing.
gapple12 is online now Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM
vancouver
Joined Oct 2006
97 Posts

that motor box looks like an electric version, I assume the top plate is also lightened like the rest? seems a bit flimsy for a gasser, but easy enough to beef up if needed.
nitrowing is offline Find More Posts by nitrowing
Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
I built one a few months back. With the DLE 35 up front, we had to put a TP 3800 Lipo as far forward as we could for a neutral balance. Still thinking of adding a aluminum spinner for more nose weight. Also, toss those axles in the trash. I have seen a few of them let go. What happens is the axle shaft will come loose from the threads and wonder around. It is just pressed into the thread housing.
Hi Gapple,

Did you run a can in your one, Hopefully it will balance easier with a can in front.
I know what your saying about the axls, Ill keep a check on them, May swap them with a dubro item.

Would you have a pic of how your mounted the rxr and batts etc, There does not seam to be a lot of spots to mount that are solid, I wish to use a secraft rxr mount for rxr, I amy need to add some 2.0mm ply to the ledge near the rudder servos to affix the rxr mount.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:14 AM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrowing View Post
that motor box looks like an electric version, I assume the top plate is also lightened like the rest? seems a bit flimsy for a gasser, but easy enough to beef up if needed.
Correct it is lighted, But pretty stiff, and also comes with extra tristock to mount it to the firewall, The Firewall\Motorbox is Also epoxied, I thought the same thing, look like an elec set-up, I may look into some carbon cloth for the sides.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Joined Aug 2006
4,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarocoupe View Post
Hi Gapple,

Did you run a can in your one, Hopefully it will balance easier with a can in front.
I know what your saying about the axls, Ill keep a check on them, May swap them with a dubro item.

Would you have a pic of how your mounted the rxr and batts etc, There does not seam to be a lot of spots to mount that are solid, I wish to use a secraft rxr mount for rxr, I amy need to add some 2.0mm ply to the ledge near the rudder servos to affix the rxr mount.
No, stock DLE 35 muffler. With a canister on there, your CG would be good. We had the battery right in front of the tank and ran an IBEC for the ignition. I will snap a pic of the install tonight for you.

These are the only pics I have right now. Ill post more later.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Joined Aug 2006
4,292 Posts

Quote:
Correct it is lighted, But pretty stiff, and also comes with extra tristock to mount it to the firewall, The FirewallMotorbox is Also epoxied, I thought the same thing, look like an elec set-up, I may look into some carbon cloth for the sides.
So far we have at least 30 hard flights on this plane with the factory set up firewall. No issues, however, I always soak the entire firewall and tri-stock with thin CA until all voids are filed. I also assemble the top on and give it all a good coat of thinned epoxy.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2006
4,292 Posts

Well, I had these pics I forgot about. You can see the flat wood piece I added to the right of the tank for the Lipo.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Joined Aug 2006
4,292 Posts

I circled in red the 2 places we can put the lipo.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
527 Posts

Quote:
So far we have at least 30 hard flights on this plane with the factory set up firewall. No issues, however, I always soak the entire firewall and tri-stock with thin CA until all voids are filed. I also assemble the top on and give it all a good coat of thinned epoxy.
Good to know, Ill do the same once i mount the top cover.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
527 Posts

Thank you for the great pics Gapple, I think ill stick with installing the rxr just like how you have, So you were running 2 lipos, both to rxr. Im looking at the LiFe cell option, as there fairly compact, I do have two A123, packs but there big
Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
527 Posts

Quote:
On the Topic of wheel Axles what did you replace then with,. Dubros?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
4,292 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the great pics Gapple, I think ill stick with installing the rxr just like how you have, So you were running 2 lipos, both to rxr. Im looking at the LiFe cell option, as there fairly compact, I do have two A123, packs but there big
No, one Thunder Power 3800 Lipo for RX and IBEC. I just made two locations to mount it depending on what was easier.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Joined Aug 2006
4,292 Posts

Quote:
On the Topic of wheel Axles what did you replace then with,. Dubros?
Yes, changed to Dubros and lite dubro tires