Find More Posts by wcc963
Head in the clouds
United States, FL, Coconut Creek
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts
Re: 2010 sportsman manuver 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I REALLY am hesitant to get into a snap discussion on the internet but, if your being judged by judge who knows what he is looking for and you snap the way just decribed, you should get a huge downgrade or even a zero (depending on degrees of rotation that did not carry pitch) if pitch is not maintained all the way through a snap.

Full scale and models are different.
Full scale uses pitch to actually stall the plane prior to auto-rotation. This happens becuase the wing loading of a full scale plane is much higher than a model.
In a model, we pitch to "simulate" the accelerated stall prior to autorotation. We are far from stalled though.
Wingloading on our models are simply too light to actually get the plane into an accelerated stall.
i understand that each judge is different and each competition is different. i was basically going by the books definition of a snap roll. but as long as you can see the plane depart just before it rolls you'll be fine. but you also have to remember that even though the physics are different between full scale and RC the manuvers are the same. thats how we got IMAC(International Miniture Aerobatic Club) basically a scaled down version of the IAC. most of the manuvers that we see on our sequences they see... until you start getting into the advanced and unlimited class(full scale) then the physical limits of the pilots and planes inhibit the ability to perform some manuvers that we dont even think about when we do them in RC.

Quote:
And... FWIW...
Most, if not all IMAC pilots roll out their snaps.
Its not caught 99% of the time at a local level because the judges simply are used to seeing snaps look like that.
Doesnt make it right though.
im guilty of this to, but another reason that it might not be caught 99% of the time is that RC planes tend to snap much faster than full scale and they stop so abrubtly that it is hard to tell if they do aileron out. but we should seriously try to stop that. it couldnt hurt

what do you mean at the local level... like just a local comp at a field rather than like tuscon or nats?
wcc963 is offline Find More Posts by wcc963
Last edited by wcc963; 09-28-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc963 View Post
as long as you can see the plane depart just before it rolls you'll be fine.
In IMAC it can (doesnt have to) pitch and roll at the same time.

Quote:
another reason that it might not be caught 99% of the time is that RC planes tend to snap much faster than full scale and they stop so abrubtly that it is hard to tell if they do aileron out.
Not really. Its actually very easy to see when a snap is rolled out regardless of rate of rotation.

Quote:
what do you mean at the local level... like just a local comp at a field rather than like tuscon or nats?
Yes. Local as in a local IMAC event on any given weekend in any Region.
When was the last time you heard of anyone getting zero-ed on a snap for rolling out at a local event where it was contestant judged?

Nats, Tucson, Clover... Roll one out and you may get away with it. Probably not though.
Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wayne
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeer View Post
Well, I spent the weekend trying to learn the "IMAC snap". For the last 50 years or so I have always done snaps with elevator, rudder, and aileron, all held until I wanted to end the snap, never even thought about just using elevator to start the snap. The Yak proved again that it flies much better then I do. Of the few times I got the timing close the Yak easily snaped and I was able to go right into the half cuban 8. This is going to take some serious practice but I see how it works so thanks again for letting me in on this. I also tried a few with out elevator at all and they looked pretty darn good. I can't wait till next year........................

Tom
Tom,
Glad to hear that it is working for you. Just make sure to show the break. Good luck with your practice.
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts

Quote:
Still trying to get use to the Yak, it's my first one. The Velox has totally spoiled me. One of the things that drives me crazy about the Yak is how much speed it looses in a snap. Never even thought about the quick blip elevator trick. Anyway, you guys are a great help to the IMAC wanabees like me.
Take care;

Tom
You will appreciate the speed of that Yak just about the time you are into the 2nd or 3rd manuever of your unknown and need to fly s-l-o-w so you can get ready for the next manuever.......

Bill A.
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams View Post
You will appreciate the speed of that Yak just about the time you are into the 2nd or 3rd manuever of your unknown and need to fly s-l-o-w so you can get ready for the next manuever.......

Bill A.
We know all about that don't we Bill!!!!
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts

Quote:
Not really. Its actually very easy to see when a snap is rolled out regardless of rate of rotation.
hmm i must not be doing it that often then... cool

Quote:
Yes. Local as in a local IMAC event on any given weekend in any Region.
When was the last time you heard of anyone getting zero-ed on a snap for rolling out at a local event where it was contestant judged?

Nats, Tucson, Clover... Roll one out and you may get away with it. Probably not though.
well the main thing i've noticed with the judges at local events is they usually lack judging experience. from what i've seen its usually some of the higher class pilots and a few others who judge the lower classes.(i havent been able to travel very much due to finacial issues, so this is based on a few smaller local events) where as the larger national and international competitions have very well qualified judges. not saying that the local guys are not qualified but there can be some bias in the scoring of the local jusdges when pilots they know are flying compared to pilots that they dont know.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Nov 2006
338 Posts

Quote:
Well, I spent the weekend trying to learn the "IMAC snap". For the last 50 years or so I have always done snaps with elevator, rudder, and aileron, all held until I wanted to end the snap, never even thought about just using elevator to start the snap. The Yak proved again that it flies much better then I do. Of the few times I got the timing close the Yak easily snaped and I was able to go right into the half cuban 8. This is going to take some serious practice but I see how it works so thanks again for letting me in on this. I also tried a few with out elevator at all and they looked pretty darn good. I can't wait till next year........................

Tom
the countless time spent practicing will all be worth it when you see your scores, and the flying starts to become easier
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbacosa View Post
We know all about that don't we Bill!!!!
If real life was like a simulator, I could dial the speed back to about 50% and always be ahead of the plane..........well mostly ahead of it anyway....... alright alright, i'd have to dial it down to 25% speed............
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts

Quote:

well the main thing i've noticed with the judges at local events is they usually lack judging experience. from what i've seen its usually some of the higher class pilots and a few others who judge the lower classes.(i havent been able to travel very much due to finacial issues, so this is based on a few smaller local events) where as the larger national and international competitions have very well qualified judges. not saying that the local guys are not qualified but there can be some bias in the scoring of the local jusdges when pilots they know are flying compared to pilots that they dont know.
I guess thats one way to look at it. I dont fully agree.
But anyways, my point referring to snaps..... Let go of the elevator early and you run the risk of a huge downgrade or a zero.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

wayne do you have any info on the judging school in the spring for north central? dates and place
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts

I don't have exact dates yet.
Most likely mid to late April in Muncie at the AMA headquarters.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

cool thanks.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts

Quote:
i understand that each judge is different and each competition is different. i was basically going by the books definition of a snap roll. but as long as you can see the plane depart just before it rolls you'll be fine. but you also have to remember that even though the physics are different between full scale and RC the manuvers are the same. thats how we got IMAC(International Miniture Aerobatic Club) basically a scaled down version of the IAC. most of the manuvers that we see on our sequences they see... until you start getting into the advanced and unlimited class(full scale) then the physical limits of the pilots and planes inhibit the ability to perform some manuvers that we dont even think about when we do them in RC.
I'm not really sure I understand what you mean here. If you are talking about IMAC then we use the same catalog (Aresti Systems Inc) as is being utilized in sequence construction for full scale (CIVA/FAI) sequences. So in effect, the catalog includes all maneuvers that are flown in constructed sequences for both disciplines.
Maybe you can enlighten us on the maneuvers that we use in IMAC for competition that meet the category you are addressing?
Wayne
IMAC Sequence Committee
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
cool thanks.

You driving us?? I'll give you some gas money.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Closet Jesus Freak
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2006
3,557 Posts

Wayne, I just saw your 2010 Sportsman video, and I notice that you weren't using much elevator in your snaps. I presume that this is universally ok, and contestants won't get dinged for this?
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc

Quick Reply