logo

Valley View RC 20cc Gasoline Engine Review - Part One

It is my pleasure to present an initial review of the Valley View RC 20cc gas engine from Tom Denney, Linda Denney, Tim Hanstine and the great folks at Valley View RC in Puyallup, Washington.

Splash

Introduction

Valley View RC 20cc Gasoline Engine
Displacement:1.22 cu in (20cc)
Bore:1.3" (32mm)
Stroke:1.0" (25mm)
Weight:23 oz (652g) engine only; 32 oz (907g) with all accessories
RPM Range:1650 - 9000
Output:2.5 hp (1.86kW) @ 9000 RPM
Fuel/Oil Requirements:89-octane unleaded gasoline; Red Line synthetic two-stroke oil or equivalent
Carburetor:Walbro WT-408 single barrel
Spark Plug:NGK CM-6
Ignition:Rxcel CDI electronic with Hall effect sensor
Ignition Cutoff:Rxcel Opto Type K1 optical
Recommended Propeller Sizes:14x10, 15x8, 16x6, 16x8, 17x6, 17x8
Muffler as Tested:J'tec Pitts muffler
Available From:Valley View RC, 5518 163rd Street East, Suite C, Puyallup, Washington 98375
Price (USD):$209.99

A review by Ralph Squillace:

The task seemed simple at the time. Find an engine for a large-scale Nitroplanes Pitts Python biplane. Nitroplanes did a terrific video of this model in action, but it was with electric power. They'd asked if I'd do this review with an engine.

The model will fly on a .90 nitro four-stroke. I'd actually located one, but it would have been at the bottom end of the power requirements for this big biplane.

Research showed that a 20cc two-stroke gasoline engine would be just the ticket for this airframe, fitting perfectly within the cowl and with the benefit of far lower operating costs. Pretty much all of the engine vendors dealing in this size wanted their engine showcased in their airframe and Nitroplanes doesn't carry an engine of that size.

It is my pleasure to present an initial review of the Valley View RC 20cc gas engine from Tom Denney, Linda Denney, Tim Hanstine and the great folks at Valley View RC in Puyallup, Washington. Tom and Linda's family business has their own line of gas engines and beechwood propellers. Tim shipped samples of their 16x8 and very popular 17x6 along with this beautiful engine.

This will represent my first foray into gasoline-powered aviation. The engine sports a genuine Walbro carburetor, Rxcel electronic ignition and an NGK spark plug, all part of the package. According to VVRC, it takes the good aspects of a more well-known brand and improves on both its good and bad aspects for added reliability and longevity.

Since this engine is going in the round cowl of a Pitts biplane, what better muffler than one of VVRC's J'tec 20cc Pitts mufflers?

Contents

The Valley View RC 20cc engine comes with the following:

• Rxcel CDI electronic ignition with preinstalled Hall effect crankshaft sensor
  • Preinstalled NGK spark plug
  • Muffler, gasket and muffler installation hardware
  • Propeller nut and washer
  • Engine mounts
  • Detailed installation and setup manual

Needed to complete the installation:

• Fuel tank with Tygon fuel tubing
  • Propeller and spinner of the recommended size
  • Gasoline fueling equipment
  • Optical ignition cutoff module
  • Blue liquid thread locking compound
  • 89-octane unleaded gasoline
  • High quality two-stroke synthetic engine oil; VVRC recommends the use of Red Line, Stihl or Husqvarna brand oils
  • Electric model engine starter
  • Ignition battery
  • Voltage regulator if necessary, available here from Valley View RC
  • Throttle servo and pushrod
  • Optional choke servo and pushrod
  • Optional Great Planes Dead Center Engine Mount Hole Locator
  • Hardware for mounting the engine
  • Optional engine installation kit, such as the Aeroworks 20cc installation kit
  • Electric rotary tool, bits and cutoff wheel if needed
  • Basic hand tools

It came securely packed and protected within a molded foam cradle. There was no trace of any assembly oils, cleaning solvents, casting slag or casting flash and the "VVRC" trademark was neatly laser engraved on the crankcase below the exhaust port. According to Valley View RC, the engine comes ready to run with mixture screws on the Walbro carburetor and ignition timing via the Hall effect sensor already preset. Should any adjustments become necessary for fine tuning during and after the break-in procedure, the detailed, easy-to-read manual explains how.

Getting Ready

My foray into gasoline power began with the basic installation of the engine using the supplied mounts. From there, it was easy to determine what I'd need next one step at a time.

The high speed FHSS-3 frame rate of the Sanwa RX-861 receiver I'd planned on using along with an Airtronics SD-10GS transmitter meant that an analog throttle servo might have presented problems according to Mike Greenshields at Global Hobby Distributors. Off went the LHS analog servo Mike forwarded for these reviews in exchange for a pair of Airtronics/Sanwa 94835 standard ball bearing digitals. One for throttle, the other for a radio controlled choke. I'd checked the fit of standard servos in the model's motor/engine mount and they were a perfect fit. Seems Nitroplanes may have done their homework and it didn't take long to cut and bend some pushrods and to get both servos working the carburetor.

Based on a discussion thread on it was necessary to cut an opening in the firewall to clear a similar engine. I did so, but the dimensions and construction of the VVRC engine may be different; mounting the engine in the manner posted on RCU would have placed it too far rearward.

I knew that I'd need oil before long. A lot of motorsports distributors have come and gone from this area, which is surprising given its close proximity to world famous Glamis, California and its sand dunes.

What better place to go than one run by some old friends? Valley V-Twin in Indio, California is run by George and Halle Fetty; Halle and I go back years as coworkers. They checked the Red Line catalog and discovered that their synthetic two-stroke oil could be ordered by the bottle and not the case.

Getting the servos installed and working gave me a great feeling of accomplishment. I could finally see the home stretch of a very long review process!

As of this writing, I've finally had all of my questions answered regarding this airframe and what I'll need to make it fly. These issues have kept the reviews of the airframe and engine in limbo for far longer than anticipated since the model is primarily designed as an electric.

Photo Gallery

VVRC pilot Victor Chatellier puts one of these engines through its paces on a VVRC airframe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwBOCuIcr4E

Conclusion

The Valley View RC 20cc gasoline engine is, by all online accounts, a real winner. It is a beautiful piece of the machinist's art and promises to turn the Pitts into a screamer.

I for one am looking forward to getting this engine and model airborne and to do the second parts of these reviews.

My sincerest thanks go to Tom Denney, Linda Denney, Tim Hanstine and the crew at Valley View RC. Their support throughout the review process thus far has been invaluable. I should mention that I spoke to Tim on his last day with Valley View and I wish him nothing but success.

George and Halle Fetty of Valley V-Twin are longtime friends and they'll continue to be my source for Red Line oil. Crystal Ng of Nitroplanes is one of the most charming product reps with whom I've ever had the pleasure of working. Her and chief engineer Roland have been as close as a phone call or email. I can always count on Mike Greenshields of Global Hobby Distributors for virtually anything having to do with electronics. For graphics, I can likewise count on Callie Soden of Callie Graphics whose peerless work adorns the airframe.

See you all back here for part two of this review and part two of the airframe review when we put this model in the air!

Last edited by Jim T.; 07-22-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Invictus
That's soo classic you.
Joined Jan 2014
128 Posts
"I'm giving this engine a two thumbs up thus far based on my impressions. I've not yet operated it as of this writing. "

A review without running the engine? I'm confused.
Invictus is offline Find More Posts by Invictus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Invictus
That's soo classic you.
Joined Jan 2014
128 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that this is only part 1 of the review.
Invictus is offline Find More Posts by Invictus
Last edited by Invictus; 07-22-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
20cc

If SupaTim and the rest of the VV Gang have their name on an engine, I'm all over it! They are super people/organization. Met Tim at Toledo this year and had a nice conversation with him. I'm thinking there will be more motors with VVRC on them and their sales will more than likely shoot through the roof!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 07-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
www.gunnphotoservices.com
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Oct 2009
1,568 Posts
Looks like you got her installed nicely; looking forward to seeing the flight performance in part 2. I wonder if we'll see a VVRC engine in the 50cc class soon??
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by Kaveman
ont,ca,usa
Joined Jul 2007
340 Posts
I have this motor inmy sons 110 rascal ran perfect out of the box and still getting stronger highly recomend this motor
Kaveman is offline Find More Posts by Kaveman
Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by Red Raider
Race to the Rain
United States, NM, Mayhill
Joined Mar 2009
144 Posts
I have one in a Nitroplanes P-40. Beautiful engine that runs as good as it looks. I installed a bowman ring in it and the improvement was noticeable.
Red Raider is offline Find More Posts by Red Raider
Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by mountainroad
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Feb 2009
76 Posts
I agree with you guys, if it has VVRC on it I will fly it. They are the best!

The author said the Supra Tim was leaving, Where is he goin?
mountainroad is offline Find More Posts by mountainroad
Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainroad View Post
I agree with you guys, if it has VVRC on it I will fly it. They are the best!

The author said the Supra Tim was leaving, Where is he goin?
I believe he has started up this company:
http://northwestrc.com/
suds is offline Find More Posts by suds
Old 07-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Mike 48
Super Contributor
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Jul 2010
296 Posts
I happen to live in Indio, CA. and own a Harley Davidson motorcycle. George Fetty at Valley V Twin has been servicing my mc for many years. I didn't realize I could get Red Line oil from him until I read this engine review. I also have 3 VVRC 20cc engines. Small world isn't it.

Mke 48
Mike 48 is offline Find More Posts by Mike 48
Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
they should include a big chocolate chip cookie with every order..
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 07-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by tailskid2
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Feb 2007
557 Posts
We have one!

We have one flying at our field most of the summer....absolutely NO problems!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by gabe221
Tree Hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Nov 2014
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn View Post
I wonder if we'll see a VVRC engine in the 50cc class soon??

Let's hope the 40cc twin issue gets resolved first..
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by gabe221
Tree Hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Nov 2014
79 Posts
I'm getting one of these engines, can't wait to install it in one of there VVRC profile planes !!
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by KeithIlle
United States, CA, Waterford
Joined Aug 2012
362 Posts
I won one of these engines at last year Wenatchee Huckfest and put it in a Aeroworks GT Trainer and this motor has been lights out!! 1 Flip and she is off and running. It runs cool and has never missed a beat since the day I got it. I probaly have around 20 Gallons through it and it seems to just keep getting stronger and stronger!! Thanks again VV!
KeithIlle is offline Find More Posts by KeithIlle

Quick Reply