logo
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by parapup
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
Help!
What to buy???

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for some advice... Up until now I have been only flying 1/4 scale planes. I recently bought a hangar 9 sukhoi and am thinking about purchasing a smart fly setup, but I'm not real sure which one suits me best. My current radio is a dx8 and I am going to go with a hv setup with 9 jr 8911 servos. (Throttle too) I was also thinking about running the spectrum ar12020 receiver just for the 3 satellites for signal purposes. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks
parapup is offline Find More Posts by parapup
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Move the rudder what way ?????
United States, NJ, Egg Harbor City
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts
An EQ10 will give you all the servo programing and unregulated for HV usage.
2robinhood is offline Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts
The EQ10 is a good choice. You may be able to get by with the competition 12 is you plan on programing the servos with your radio.
rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by parapup
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcakropilot View Post
The EQ10 is a good choice. You may be able to get by with the competition 12 is you plan on programing the servos with your radio.
To be honest this is my first aircraft with multiple servos per surface. Not real sure what I'm doing. I'm hoping I can get some help through flying giants before I take my questions to the members of my club. Is the ar12020 a good choice of receiver for the eq10?
parapup is offline Find More Posts by parapup
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Move the rudder what way ?????
United States, NJ, Egg Harbor City
Joined Aug 2006
3,242 Posts
I can not answer that because I am Futaba TX & RX.
2robinhood is offline Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
Buy a powersafe receiver. Go fly... If you price out setting up a couple planes that have more than 8 servos your transmitter will handle, you will see that buying a better transmitter-more channels- and going to powersafe receivers with save you money and be simpler than using the powerbox eq.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 02-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapup View Post
To be honest this is my first aircraft with multiple servos per surface. Not real sure what I'm doing. I'm hoping I can get some help through flying giants before I take my questions to the members of my club. Is the ar12020 a good choice of receiver for the eq10?
You can use that Rx with a SF. Or you can buy a PS Rx. If you are going to spend the money, but the PS Rx. You will be fine.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by BMACK991
Joined Aug 2011
98 Posts
I would go with the EQ10.
BMACK991 is offline Find More Posts by BMACK991
Old 02-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Look, I know you are trying to be helpful but can you limit your responses to Smart-Fly products ONLY.
If the customer wants to know about PowerSafe receivers he can make a general post. This is not the forum to post about PowerSafe receivers. Thanks for your understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
Buy a powersafe receiver. Go fly... If you price out setting up a couple planes that have more than 8 servos your transmitter will handle, you will see that buying a better transmitter-more channels- and going to powersafe receivers with save you money and be simpler than using the powerbox eq.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
From the information given the Eq10 does sound like the best advice since you would need to match several surfaces. You DX8 is not up to this task so you need to match them externally. This would provide you the ability to run HV system with straight Li-ion/poly and match your ailerons and rudder and even your elevator halves if you want to free up one more channel. The AR12020 receiver will work fine with the Eq10, but you could go with an 8-channel or 9-channel receiver also, probably cheaper. You do want to use the receiver mount or make you own system to raise the receiver. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapup View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for some advice... Up until now I have been only flying 1/4 scale planes. I recently bought a hangar 9 sukhoi and am thinking about purchasing a smart fly setup, but I'm not real sure which one suits me best. My current radio is a dx8 and I am going to go with a hv setup with 9 jr 8911 servos. (Throttle too) I was also thinking about running the spectrum ar12020 receiver just for the 3 satellites for signal purposes. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by jhelber08
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2013
995 Posts
My first GS that I built has the EQ 10 with the ar12020. I got it for the same reason, more satellites and I only had a dx8. Has been working great so far. I now use power safe rx's on my new planes since upgrading radios. If you plan on having a few more planes down the road, its cheaper to bite the bullet now for a new radio that can handle the servo matching rather than buying more smart fly's. Either way works great. I think the smart fly is great if you decide to keep that radio. Another plus is that you can have 3 servos matched with the SF which I do have on that plane. Good luck!
jhelber08 is offline Find More Posts by jhelber08

Quick Reply