logo
Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts

Tomorrow is the "Day"
Any good numbers on expos? Flaps are on a switch to be used as ailerons. Flap 1=20 Degrees, Flap 2=38 Degrees
Plane weighs 46lbs wet. Its got a DLA112.
Half tank of gas CG is dead on, with a full tank of gas its a tipping to the nose a few degrees.
stssa is offline Find More Posts by stssa
Old 10-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
30 Posts

Stssa....I'm flying the 40% I have found that the airplane needs all the aileron you can get out of it so I take off with full rates and with the flaps switch set so that they move with the ailerons. The only time I switch the latter off is for using the flaps when I'm landing or doing a reallllllllllllllllllllllllly slow low photo op low pass. I think I have about 50% expo. The elevator is a different story....even at low rates it is pretty sensitive but I still fly it at high rates so I don't have to fool with the switch... but have about 70% expo in it to keep things smooth... Rudder is full rate with 50% expo. I don't think you need to worry about over controlling with full rates in this airplane except possibly jerking the airplane elevator so hard on a fast downline that it pulls the wings off. Don't know your level of experience but it is helpful in terms of looking more scale [and probably safer for the airframe] if you reduce power on the downlines to keep the speed reasonable.
pc2209 is offline Find More Posts by pc2209
Old 10-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Gettin' Lower!
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts

Thanks for the advises. I have already maiden it. It was a blast. Check out the maiden video. It only needed a couple clicks on the rudder. Dla112 was pulling better than I thought. For a second I was going to try to hover but it felt a little weak and didnt want to risk it on the maiden flight.

stssa is offline Find More Posts by stssa
Last edited by stssa; 10-04-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,193 Posts

Congrats !
McFueler is offline Find More Posts by McFueler
Old 12-25-2014, 06:59 PM
United States, VA, Manassas
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts

Has anyone put a GP 176evo in this 40%?
hoikeskins is offline Find More Posts by hoikeskins
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM
United States, TX, Orange
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts

This weekend I picked up a used pilot decathlon just needs a reciever. Does anyone know if a ar9200 will work for this plane?
mean hover is offline Find More Posts by mean hover
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM
KRAZY KANUK
Canada, ON, Parry Sound District
Joined May 2011
667 Posts

How many servos are you running?
bamdfisher is offline Find More Posts by bamdfisher
Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts

Throttle
2 on each aileron
1 on each flap
2 on rudder
1 on each elevator
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
30 Posts

Hey Mean....
What radio do you have? That might limit how you do things anyway. If you have a DX 18 I would get a different receiver with more channels and assign more servos to separate channels. In your plane you have a total of 11 servos plus you will need a kill switch. These kind of airplanes are where the multichannel receivers and radios make things simple because you can assign more servos to separate channels.. That means: No inline servo reversers [for flaps hooked up to the same channel] No y-harnesses. No match boxes or servo programming ( I always found them inaccurate anyway] . Also I also have smoke system and landing and nav. lights in mine which I switch off and on with the radio. [not imperative but kind of cool] In one of my previous posts I stated that this plane's roll rate benefits from coupling the flaps with the ailerons so that they move together except on landing where you want to use the flaps as flaps. When you start doing stuff like this it gets easier to set things up if you have more channels. See what the other guys have to say about setting up if you have a DX 9.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts

I have a jr 11x. Thinking about going to jeti 16 channel
Old 01-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2012
80 Posts

Hi guys. Just noticed this thread and I hope that I'm not high jacking here but this very similar to what I've been working on. I have the BH 38% Decathlon with a DLE 111. For my electronics I'm using and DX9 black edition transmitter with a AR10000 ( 3 sat. receivers) receiver hooked to the Smart-Fly EQ10. I running 13 servos, 2 per aileron, 2 per flap, 1 per elevator half, 2 for the rudder, and 1 throttle. I also using the SWB self adjusting rudder tray (the one with the cables)I'm also have the TME smoke hooked up. I have my radio set up as running single aileron and single flap. With theEQ10 I'm able to plug the 4 ailerons and 4 flap servos into 2 ports and use the servo matching to fine tune each servo. I found it easier to combine the aileron and flaps with this setup. So I have the ignition cut-off in 1 channel, ailerons in another, flaps in another, rudder in one, throttle in one, smoke in one, and o ya elevator in the other with a total of 7 channel use up in the EQ10. There for I should of been able to still fly this with my DX8 but I bought the DX9 with the voice just for the coolness. Still working on getting every thing cramped in. I haven't weighed the plane yet but I'm thinking a bird with 146 wing span I shouldn't be far off the 50#.
19pointbuck is offline Find More Posts by 19pointbuck
Old 01-31-2015, 02:19 PM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19pointbuck View Post
Hi guys. Just noticed this thread and I hope that I'm not high jacking here but this very similar to what I've been working on. I have the BH 38% Decathlon with a DLE 111. For my electronics I'm using and DX9 black edition transmitter with a AR10000 ( 3 sat. receivers) receiver hooked to the Smart-Fly EQ10. I running 13 servos, 2 per aileron, 2 per flap, 1 per elevator half, 2 for the rudder, and 1 throttle. I also using the SWB self adjusting rudder tray (the one with the cables)I'm also have the TME smoke hooked up. I have my radio set up as running single aileron and single flap. With theEQ10 I'm able to plug the 4 ailerons and 4 flap servos into 2 ports and use the servo matching to fine tune each servo. I found it easier to combine the aileron and flaps with this setup. So I have the ignition cut-off in 1 channel, ailerons in another, flaps in another, rudder in one, throttle in one, smoke in one, and o ya elevator in the other with a total of 7 channel use up in the EQ10. There for I should of been able to still fly this with my DX8 but I bought the DX9 with the voice just for the coolness. Still working on getting every thing cramped in. I haven't weighed the plane yet but I'm thinking a bird with 146 wing span I shouldn't be far off the 50#.
Mine is 45# with 8 servos. No flaps. So 50# should be close. May be a bit more.
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 01-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
80 Posts

I have changed the main landing wheels from 5" to 8". I can't use the wheel pants however I think the 8" look more to scale.( more weight) I will using a 32oz smoke tank (dubro) and 16oz gas tank. I forgot about the pilot (doll) I put in which my daughter gave me. The doll had a swivel head so I installed a servo in it and hooked it up the rudder channel. It can be checked out on my YouTube channel.RC Bill Hempel 38% Decathlon moving Pilot
19pointbuck is offline Find More Posts by 19pointbuck
Old 02-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Joined Jan 2009
30 Posts

Although I have never owned one I agree that a power expander is a way that will allow you to run several servos on one channel and there is an equalizing function for each servo which, if I'm not mistaken, lets you match the end point of all the servos on that channel....so I guess that's the best way to go if you have a 9 channel radio. But....there is still an advantage to the DX19...It has a balancing feature that allows you to balance each servo at 3 points [not just the end point] to each side of neutral. I didn't realize that would be important until I hooked an ampmeter to a servo I was matching and could see how it was helpful to have all these points of adjustment. Also the cost of the Smart Fly EQ 10 is 250 and the Dx9 450. Combine that and you will be within 100 of a DX18....so if you have more than one plane with multiple servos and need a power expander on all of them that is 250 x whatever number of planes you have. Obviously it doesn't take more than 2 planes to realize the cost saving of having a transmitter that will do that for free on 50 of them. [I get it that the larger receivers are an additional expense and that makes up for it a little.] Threr are l ots of ways to skin the same cat in this hobby and sometimes the differences amount to splitting hairs but I have just really appreciated my DX 18 since I bit the bullet to buy one.