logo
This thread is privately moderated by JohnnyKatana, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by JohnnyKatana
Joined Aug 2006
95 Posts
Begining competiton

id like to start competing, but have no idea where to start
i have an electric showtime 90 and i dont even know what class or type of flying i should start with
any opinions?
JohnnyKatana is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyKatana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by toprudder
Hey y'all, watch THIS!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,536 Posts
Re: Begining competiton

Two options that I can think of, off the top of my head. Pattern or IMAC. The plane you describe is more like a pattern plane (less than 2m wingspan/length, and probably less than 11 lbs). Pattern is basically precision aerobatics.

Your plane is NOT an IMAC legal plane, but you can fly it in the Basic class since they allow any AMA legal plane in that class. IMAC is also (primarily) precision aerobatics, but for scale aerobatic planes.

While Pattern and IMAC are different, they have a lot in common, and flying in one is good practice for the other.

Bob R.
toprudder is offline Find More Posts by toprudder
Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Toprudder gave you some good information.

If you are thinking of getting into bigger birds, fly what you have in the Basic class of IMAC. If you do not want to go big in the near future you may be able to get into pattern. The only issue may be the weight of the plane you have. From another thread it sounded like it may be too heavy, but I am not sure. Others will know the regulations better than I do. The best thing you can do is practice with what you have. The time spent will be well worth it no matter what you end up doing.

Most of all, have fun.
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 02-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by Temptation
Lawn Dart Pilot
Lenox Twp. MI, United States
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

You can fly the Showtime in the Sportsman class for pattern. Any AMA legal plane can be flown in the Sportsman class. Check out this website, it has a lot of good info to get you started in pattern. www.nsrca.org

Once you move up to Intermediate, your plane can not be larger than 2 meters, and can not weigh more than 11 lbs.

Hope this helps,

Mike Darr
Temptation is offline Find More Posts by Temptation

Quick Reply