logo
Old 01-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by eagle1
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts
Composite-ARF Extra 260 3m Build

Recieved the brand new straight from the factory Composite-ARF 3m 260 in on Fri. 1-25-08, Christmas present from my wife.
the order went in about the 17th of nov.This was going to be a custom color scheme so they had to produce me one at the factory and low and behold exactly one month from Christmas I recieved the huge crate.
Actually the plane left Dallas and went to louisiana instead of going to Odessa and be delievered to my house, so it was late in the evening when it finally arrived in Odessa I made the 45 min trip from Andrews to Odessa to pick up the plane
eagle1 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts
Re: Composite-ARF Extra 260 3m Build

So I have the EXTRA260 In my hands FINALY!!!!! for those following the which Comp. thread you know what I've went through.
So the crate is in my house now, Out comes the electric screwdriver to take out the 20 or so screws that hold the top on
Old 01-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Tex
Find More Posts by Tex
Tex
United States, TX, Iowa Park
Joined Aug 2007
2,478 Posts

Ok eagle I'm subscribe to the thread, One thing I noticed in the pictures is a tool that we all know in Texas to be a most important need when building these planes is a large DR. Pepper from Sonic. So you are well on your way, Dont forget to save all your photo's to a folder on your computer so you can make a build thread video.

I dont know who's more excited you or me.
Tex is offline Find More Posts by Tex
Old 01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

So now that all the screws are out I finaly get to see the finished product fresh out of the factory,....not much to see if you like the bags they come in but as I take the things out I almost shed a tear...Thanks Comp-ARF for yet another perfect plane.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

All I did yesterday was take everything out of the crate to get the crate out of the house and the plane staged in the hobby room, Well to see if I could get this plane into the hobby room which is 107in X 117in with two tight corners to go around but you know I was able to get it in and even to some measuring up to see if I could get the plane out of this tiny space. All is good and I think it will work.
Did a little comparison to the 2.6m and well you can see for yourself Great looking plane I think.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

Thats-a Big 10-4 on the route 44 Dr. Pepper from sonic, helps with all the gasping while loking at this plane,waiting on some glue to dry so I can move onto the next step playing guitar and back to the story.
Today I moved the building table to the middle of the room and retreived the 28X10 door I used to build the 33% GreatPLanes Extra 330L and now use when I need to work on the big planes.
I got right to work once I puty the 260 on the table after topping it with bubble wrap.
Drilled the holes for the main landing gear bolts, moved the hole 5 mm from where they tell you to put them just to get some of the landing gear mounts a little further from the end of the gear.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

now she is standing on her own two feet! thats always a good to know that your bird can standbut then a buddy of mine came to ghock at the beast so work slowed down
Old 01-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

I drilled the holes for the axle and glued the ply backing to the inside of the wheel pants as the instructions say to do.and while I am waiting on the glue to dry I am getting caught up with the thread.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

Now that I am caught up on the thread and the glue is dry now it is time to put some wheels on her I will be using the 5in Du-Bro tread-lite wheels.so enough chat it's time to go back to work on the beast.
Stay tuned more to come.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by plaster93
Churchville , Pa U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
1,213 Posts

plaster93 is offline Find More Posts by plaster93
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
The good, the bad and the IMAC
United States, CA, Homeland
Joined Jan 2006
819 Posts

VERY IMPORTANT!! mount everything on this plane in front of the wing tube. Except the fuel tank, mount it on the wing tube. You will love the 260.
lazyboyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by thewrap
I had it, but then I lost it.
Highland Village Texas
Joined Feb 2006
1,884 Posts

Very cool. I'm jelous.
thewrap is offline Find More Posts by thewrap
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

well took a break to eat dinner and watch saw 4 not a good idea if yoy just got through eating, and now back to the task at hand, after the glue has set I removed the clamp and drilled the axle hole in the wheel pant to a 17/64 and outside the wheel pant to 27/64 to accept the axle Bolt head again with the other side as well mounted the wheel pant to the leg and drilled a 1/8 hole for the wheel pant retaining bolt on both sides L&R and epoxy'd the blind nuts for the axle and the retainning bolt,and let that dry
Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

now that the glue has dried I removed the axle bolt, had to drill the 5in wheel hub to 17/64 to accept the axle bolt,did this for both sides and then came the task of spacing the wheels out right first attemp I used just one wheel collar on both sides of the tire did not work when everything was tightened down, next I put 2 collars on the inside and on the outside I used 2 washers and a collar perfect,I had some 3/16 collars I drilled out worked out just right.
Now my baby has shoes over them feet.
battling with myself since i don't have a tailwheel yet to either mount the engine or cowl, instructions say cowl next but I like mounting the engine before hand but I do not have the 3* standoff ....what to do
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Tex
Find More Posts by Tex
Tex
United States, TX, Iowa Park
Joined Aug 2007
2,478 Posts

I was just looking at the manual, So Im to understand that the phenolic arms are all ready installed on this arf at the factory.
Tex is offline Find More Posts by Tex

Quick Reply