Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsez View Post
40-50 % ---Really that much ??
I never really worked with the ail diff on this plane, so I probably could have gained more if I did before I added the tape. Hope to make a new video soon and we can compare from a older video!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Make a video of using both elevator and rudder so we can see what your thumbs are doing. That will help to see what's going wrong. If you want a clean, axial, and more controllable fast roll, you need both. It's a process getting your stick movements and input amount down. Don't get frustrated! I'm sure others will agree that in the beginning, learning rolling harriers and fast rolls were challenging to say the least. If my dumb/fat thumbs can learn, anyone can. It just takes practice. More for some than others. It took me a lot!
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
You've only mastered the fast roll when you can peg the ailerons on a diamond dust and keep it wide open straight down the runway

Here's the only video I could find with myself rolling fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB3OF...3&feature=plcp

I haven't seen the video but at nashbro this past year at night under the spot lights I was really groovin' with an EF chinyak. Thing looked like a blur with the dark color scheme and it only being lit by spot lights. Once it started rolling it was muscle memory from then on.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Find More Posts by kwboost
United States, LA, Metairie
Joined May 2006
458 Posts
I've been practicing fast rollers for few months now. Definitely need to use both elevator and rudder. Very small inputs.

Jackrc, i fly g5.5. If you wanna fly online, we can practice.
kwboost is offline Find More Posts by kwboost
Old 12-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwboost View Post
I've been practicing fast rollers for few months now. Definitely need to use both elevator and rudder. Very small inputs.

Jackrc, i fly g5.5. If you wanna fly online, we can practice.
cool, thanks for the offer.
but first I will need to check my low rate and practice more with both rudder and elevator. give me a week and I'll see you online ! Thanks.
JackRC is offline Find More Posts by JackRC
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
JR = Jack the Ripper
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
found the problem with blow back

guys,

I finally found the problem with my aieron and elevator getting blow back all the time...
turns out the power switch that I used on the plane is over-rated and can't pass through enough juice to the receiver.

today I plug-in battery directly to receiver plus add another power line to double the power and the plane finally transform into a 3D monster, doing all kind of snap and pop up "CLEAN" without nasty delay like it did before. Couldn't be happier!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Find More Posts by Wamsy55
Nashville , Tn
Joined Oct 2010
145 Posts
Hello JackRC!

I have been doing "rifle rollers" as I call them for awhile now and I gotta say the key to getting smooth rolls is using both elevator and rudder. I have now gotten to the point to where I can do them while rolling both left and right. Left isn't as pretty as my right though.

A tip I can give you while learning is when you do make a small mistake stop giving inputs and let the plane get back on its axis rolling. Now this only works when you give one wrong movement.

Looks like you are getting close though!
Wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by Wamsy55
Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 AM
JR = Jack the Ripper
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
Thanks Wamsy, yes I am getting really close with the rifle rollers. And thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsy55 View Post
Hello JackRC!

I have been doing "rifle rollers" as I call them for awhile now and I gotta say the key to getting smooth rolls is using both elevator and rudder. I have now gotten to the point to where I can do them while rolling both left and right. Left isn't as pretty as my right though.

A tip I can give you while learning is when you do make a small mistake stop giving inputs and let the plane get back on its axis rolling. Now this only works when you give one wrong movement.

Looks like you are getting close though!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
JR = Jack the Ripper
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
crash

This is what happened today when I finally break-in the brand new DLE30 engine and did a full throttle high speed roll down the run way with my 3DHS 74" Edge 540.

Both wings ejected out of the fuselage at the same time and plane plunnge to the ground badly. I know if I post these pictures at RCGroups I might get a bullet in the mail so I share it here for my safety, lol. The good old 3DHS products are no more, all the new products I got have the same wing fialure symtpom. Don't believe me? just buy a new plane and look into the wing, yes, you won't see much glue in there @_@

arhhh... engine cylinder crack, servos crack, battery taco, 4titude gas tank in pieces.. nothing survived. Total Lost. Already email 3DHS and see what they can do for me
Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Joined May 2006
458 Posts
Sorry for your loss man. The high speed rollers put a lot of stress on the airframe. I have had the main spar on my 3dhs 87" extra seperate. Fortunately I noticed it, before the wing could come apart in the air. Called 3dhs, talked to Ben and I ordered a new wing panel. Then same thing happened to the new replacement Finally I just stripped the covering back and applied more glue. Been holding up fine now.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Joined May 2006
458 Posts
This is where it started to separate.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
JR = Jack the Ripper
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwboost View Post
This is where it started to separate.
my good old AJ Slick never had this problem. I think something wrong with their manufacture or maybe 3DHS change the factory. All the new products is lighter but yet weaker

btw, I already epoxy both wings before madien, but it still break at somewhere that I can't get to it.... sigh.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by hpapilot
Wah wah wee wah!!
Greensboro, NC
Joined Mar 2006
1,769 Posts
Huh... that's really strange. Rollers shouldn't put that much load on the spar. The airplane shouldn't ever be loaded very far outside +/- 1G. Most of the load would be in torsion on the wing panel, and I'd expect that to break out the area of the anti-rotation pins before anything else. The centrifugal force pulling the wings off the tube just doesn't seem strong enough to do that. Did the wing bolt snap on one side and the root rib break out of the other or what?

Just curious... I've being doing high-speed/high-rate rolls for a long time and have never seen any structural consequences. The loads just shouldn't be that high.
hpapilot is offline Find More Posts by hpapilot
Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapilot View Post
Huh... that's really strange. Rollers shouldn't put that much load on the spar. The airplane shouldn't ever be loaded very far outside +/- 1G. Most of the load would be in torsion on the wing panel, and I'd expect that to break out the area of the anti-rotation pins before anything else. The centrifugal force pulling the wings off the tube just doesn't seem strong enough to do that. Did the wing bolt snap on one side and the root rib break out of the other or what?

Just curious... I've being doing high-speed/high-rate rolls for a long time and have never seen any structural consequences. The loads just shouldn't be that high.
Jack sorry for your loss man.

RJ's 100% right on this one. Any maneuvers that could have helped this along? It looks as if the wing bolt is still in one of the wings with no washer. I also noticed that their is no part of the fuse attached to that wing. This leads me to think that the wing pulled completely from that side of the fuse during the rolls because it was already trying to break free. Depending on where you were in the roller the other wing could have had a lot of force put on it when the other wing came off thus the reason for the other wing having the wing root missing from the wing.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton

Quick Reply