logo
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
OK..tell me..what plane (arf) available today can hold up to continued abuse, snap rolls, blenders, torque rolls, hi speed ke, etc?? 50cc or 100cc.
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
OK..tell me..what plane (arf) available today can hold up to continued abuse, snap rolls, blenders, torque rolls, hi speed ke, etc?? 50cc or 100cc.
Pilot, EF, 3DHS, AeroWorks, H9, newer EG stuff, etc....
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by Cerus98
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Aug 2012
519 Posts
Part of the fun with blenders is creeping up on the breaking point. Either you stop at a certain point and get a little life out of them or you keep pushing the energy level and have a spectacular story to share
Cerus98 is offline Find More Posts by Cerus98
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckin Chuck View Post
Sounds like you need a "beater plane"

I agree with you though, Bob. I love putting my Edge through the ringer, but I do cringe when I think hat this is my pride and joy. But for me, that's where the excitement and fun is.

Foamy and mith: you do not need any rudder on the downline prior to the blender. Mith is correct. Howeve, foamy, you are right in that you will need rudder during the actual blender. The OP is incorrect about slot feeding in rudder. You want to apply a quick full rudder then push to full down a split second later. Then flatten out that aileron.

Think of it as the sticks neutral on a downline. You will want to make a "C" shape with the right stick, and push the left stick hard right.
Left aileron, right rudder (hold that aileron still), down elevator ( hold that rudder and aileron still) then neutralize aileron to slow rotation.
Oooooh OK, gotcha Chuck. Thanks for the clarification. Chuck I think you and I fly the same EF Edge 88' ? Weather permitting I'm going to try my first true Blender with it on Thursday. I have snapped on the down line before but it was zero throttle stuff.

Believe it or not the Edge is my first real 3D plane aside an old timey E-flite foamy Enticement and an Electrifly foamy Decathlon. Before the Edge I had a 30cc SU 31 but it was an older Cermark kit that I got new but was sold in 2004. The instructions stated that it's not capable or built with 3D in mind. I flew IMAC maneuvers with it, but it would tumble and I could get some sort of goofy looking Lomcevak out of it.

Anyhoo, I've spent the last seven or eight months just flying basic aerobatics with the Edge, getting familiar with it, it's size, the responsibility of flying a big plane around the club field, the fact that the original owner had close to 3K into it, getting second nature with the basic flight characteristics ( and getting darn good with dead sticks, eight of 'em for various ignition, carb, and throttle servo problems). What I have been doing is every turnaround, hammerhead, Humpty Bump into straight vertical down lines with an aileron roll or two or a hesitation forcing myself to get comfortable 'flying' straight down. That was unnatural. And tumbling the heck out of it, sometimes just making stuff up on top of the vertical to get the airplane into some whacky unusual attitudes and getting comfortable just getting out of them in an orderly fashion not just jamming sticks around and hoping for the best.

I made the comment in another thread that I took some heat for because it was misinterpreted; that the Extreme Flight Edge is easy to fly. Not that proper aerobatics or 3D are, but as far as the four fundamentals? Child's play. I often make the comment that I fly the Edge when I want to relax.

I'm ready for this. I think this thread is going to be a long one eventually as it seems quite a few of us here are just testing the waters with 3D. It will be good to get input from like perspectives.

I'm not sure what my end goals are with regard, not sure I have any. Actually I AM sure I don't have any. I never wanted RC to be 'work'. If it comes? It comes in it's own time.
FoamieAirfarce is offline Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by Floridarc
Joined Oct 2012
581 Posts
Doug wait wait please do a blender on the weekend when I am there
Floridarc is offline Find More Posts by Floridarc
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
If it works it will one of many. If it doesn't? What? You wanna see a grown man cry?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
As long as you have altitude, a blender cannot really "not work"
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Oh, I'll have altitude, believe me!

The good news is the Edge falls like a feather in a normal spin. In a flat spin? It just may ascend if you can catch a thermal.............
Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
I plan on giving the blender a go this weekend as well. Will try first on zero throttle downlines and work up from there. I'm now very comfortable with inverted flat spins so I feel that will help. I'm also working on flying the pattern in KE and KE figure eights in preparation for rolling circles but that's another thread!
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
good luck mutt!!
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
It's funny, I'll think more about this maneuver all week then I will hitting a new 100' triple on my MX bike. I can't wait to get that feel for the plane like I do on my bike.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
LMAO!! I have the RealFlight Basic flight sim (I know, I know) and it never happened before but I tore a wing off of that Krill Katana doing a Lomcevak. Too funny, never thought that could happen in the sim..................
Old 08-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by P-Diddy
Plank Hucker
Eugene, OR
Joined Mar 2008
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckin Chuck View Post
Sounds like you need a "beater plane"

Foamy and mith: you do not need any rudder on the downline prior to the blender. Mith is correct. Howeve, foamy, you are right in that you will need rudder during the actual blender. The OP is incorrect about slot feeding in rudder. You want to apply a quick full rudder then push to full down a split second later. Then flatten out that aileron.

Think of it as the sticks neutral on a downline. You will want to make a "C" shape with the right stick, and push the left stick hard right.
Left aileron, right rudder (hold that aileron still), down elevator ( hold that rudder and aileron still) then neutralize aileron to slow rotation.

Guys, I like the replies!

I will say that the OP is correct for one method of doing the blender, although you may do it differently.

Starting with aileron, then slowly adding some rudder, gives it a twirling effect that makes it look like it's in a blender just prior to the inverted flat spin portion. Just my method, and I like it.

It also smoothes out the maneuver so it is not quite so violent. Maybe that is why I've never broken an airplane doing this maneuver, even at higher speeds with some throttle added.

Here's a video we shot of me doing it my way. Totally stress-free:

Patto's 3D School: 3D Blender and Inverted Flat Spin (0 min 55 sec)
P-Diddy is offline Find More Posts by P-Diddy
Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by Floridarc
Joined Oct 2012
581 Posts
Foamie are you doing the blender tomorrow.
Floridarc is offline Find More Posts by Floridarc
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
That's the plan. Went out to the ranch tonight and tried the Blender and KE spin on the Decathlon. It did better than the sim.

I'll be there for a 9:00 prop off and have to quit by 11:00 for an appointment. We couldn't mow today too wet still. We will mow on Friday, rodeo on Saturday, back flying on Sunday.......................

Quick Reply