Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Question
Kits

Wondering if anyone could recommend a good kit to learn how to build. Looked at several build treads and you guys make it look easy. I have a good idea of most of the tools and materials I will need. Appreciate any response.
Mikeq is offline Find More Posts by Mikeq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by crfabbro
Pensacola, Florida
Joined Jan 2006
448 Posts
What size and how much are you willing to spend? For big stuff you can't go wrong with Carden, Aerotech,
Dalton, Competition Airframes, or Godfrey.
crfabbro is online now Find More Posts by crfabbro
Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by ex300sc
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2009
309 Posts
Look at your budget and really look at the total package and what is offered, the quality of the contents etc. Anyone of the planes fly excellent.
ex300sc is offline Find More Posts by ex300sc
Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Oh 25% to 30%. All my ARFs are gas and I really don't want to do any glow planes. I would like to do the big planes but thought I ought to develop some skills before tackling the real expensive stuff. I emailed with Caroline at Carden Aircraft who recommendelyd FG to see exactly whats involved in the build. I assume you get the Foam, wood and a set of plans and that's about it. I know those kits are expensive and there's not much margin for error but everybody has to start somewhere. Read several comments about short kits? Not sure what those kits are exactly? Partially finished? Size? Just thought there might be a common kit used that's not real expensive so one can work on building skills. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex300sc View Post
Look at your budget and really look at the total package and what is offered, the quality of the contents etc. Anyone of the planes fly excellent.
Okay, I will, thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
The company's listed don't make anything in that size other than the carden cuda.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by rrpech
Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
Joined Apr 2009
109 Posts
Might want to look at a WrongWayRC 30cc or 50cc profile. Would be a good 1st plane to build.
rrpech is offline Find More Posts by rrpech
Old 11-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
If I were just getting started building, I would go with the Cuda......or weigh out all the stuff needed in $$ With used DA100's going super cheap on RCU, you could probably build something larger for not a lot more. Bigger flies better, and I think bigger builds better as well. Many of the smaller kits on the market are all old-school heavy monsters that will fly moderately at best after all your hard work.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 11-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilot82
KAD Laser Cutting
Western, pa, usa
Joined Mar 2006
3,084 Posts
Here is the definition of a short kit (as it applies to what I sell)

Short Kit Definition;
A "Short Kit" will include all formers,doublers, ribs and odd shapes for the fuselage, wings and tail section.They do not include any sheeting/skin or regular sized sticks.Short Kits include all the wood parts that require more than simple cutting such as stock sized sticks and sheets/skins which can be readily purchased "to size" at local hobby shops. These standardized parts are not included in the Short Kits. Plans can be E-mailed in PDF form.
rcpilot82 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot82
Old 11-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
The company's listed don't make anything in that size other than the carden cuda.
Yep, been looking at the Cuda. Terry's probably right. Bigger might be better. Going to look at Kustom Aero Design also. Saw several threads looks like it might be an easier build. Not sure? Thanks for the advise.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
Here is the definition of a short kit (as it applies to what I sell)

Short Kit Definition;
A "Short Kit" will include all formers,doublers, ribs and odd shapes for the fuselage, wings and tail section.They do not include any sheeting/skin or regular sized sticks.Short Kits include all the wood parts that require more than simple cutting such as stock sized sticks and sheets/skins which can be readily purchased "to size" at local hobby shops. These standardized parts are not included in the Short Kits. Plans can be E-mailed in PDF form.
Okay Rob, Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,079 Posts
Depending on your general practical skill level, if you have never built a real kit before (as opposed to an ARTF "kit") I would say start with a 72" built up wing glider, with an electric conversion if you like. They are fun things to thermal on a quiet lazy evening and, as you wont have that much money invested, it won't matter if things go pear shaped and have to start again. You can learn most of the basic core building skills making one, they only take a couple of weeks of evenings to build and for the most part are forgiving if they are over heavy, wings are imperfect or incidences are slightly out. If you get bored of it you can always find a beginner down the club who would appreciate it.

Not sure starting out with a great big expensive Carden etc as a first kit is a great idea, it seems like running before you can walk.

Mine is an unpopular view I suppose, this is FG afterall.

For ARTF "kit", no idea which is best, they are not my kettle of kippers.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Last edited by Languid Virago; 11-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by GravyGoodness
3D Farmer 4 Life
United States, NC, Elm City
Joined Jun 2010
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpech View Post
Might want to look at a WrongWayRC 30cc or 50cc profile. Would be a good 1st plane to build.
That's where I'm going after Christmas for a 20cc profile. Those planes are awesome!
GravyGoodness is offline Find More Posts by GravyGoodness

Quick Reply