logo
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by pepatrick
Yak - Extra - Yak...yakity yak
Cumming, GA
Joined Apr 2006
2,237 Posts
R1222 powersafe receiver setup

Is anybody using the R1222 with A123 batteries in 40% planes. I am about to convert to this and want to see some other setups. Any thoughts on pros and cons of this. Show some pics as well...the more info the better.
pepatrick is offline Find More Posts by pepatrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts
Re: R1222 powersafe receiver setup

Why are we having so many problems with threads posting twice? Strange...
Anyway, I have an AR9100(essentially the same thing) in a 42% 260 with dual A123 2300's and a Smart-fly pin/flag switch. No in-line switches of course, and I build my batteries as shown below, so I can just plug the charge lead into an earnst charge receptacle and charge directly without having to pop the hatch. I have a Fromeco IonCube with three channels, and Fromeco allows for charging through common-ground systems, so I charge all three batteries at once. I made a neat little nerd box to house my charger, battery, and solar charger so I can charge at the field with very little hassle. I have the minimal # of servos on my plane, all 8711's, and I burn about 550-700mah per 10 minute flight.
What do I think about the setup? I will pretty much never use a seperate power distribution system ever again. This setup just makes it too simple and lightweight. The only shortcoming is the lack of a servo matching system and multiple output ports per channel, and built-in charge ports for the batts would be nice. My bet is that such an all-in-one rx is in our future.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 12-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Cumming, GA
Joined Apr 2006
2,237 Posts

So you have 2 aileron servos per side, 2 on the rudder and 1 on each elevator half. I see that you have matchboxes in yours..Since I am using the 12x and R1222, I am going to take advantage of the servo balance function.

I have made my own A123s as well, but for this, I have duralite making a custom 4600 A123 pack. I will use the yellow leads to balance charge and going into a couple of Fromeco Kodiac switches. This will allow me to quick charge at the field if needed. The batteries are going to be heavier, but I am pulling a Powerbox and Li-mgs 3800s out of the plane, so I will still end up saving some weight.. I am waiting for someone to come up with a charge jack similar to the Kodiac with a more accurate display on it...Maybe Fromco will do this, but I think Duralite may have something in the works too.

How many flights are you getting on a charge...I guess with 700 per flight..is that per battery or both combined...and what are you using to measure the MAHs used.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepatrick View Post
I am waiting for someone to come up with a charge jack similar to the Kodiac with a more accurate display on it...Maybe Fromco will do this, but I think Duralite may have something in the works too.

How many flights are you getting on a charge...I guess with 700 per flight..is that per battery or both combined...and what are you using to measure the MAHs used.
I am curious about your comment. More accurate than the Kodiaks? How inaccurate do you think they are? I am using two Kodiaks and two 2300 Rx pacs. I will run them down to where 1.2 to 1.5 will be showing on the display. The batteries are always recharged within 100 milliamps of the display. Since that is the resolution level, I cannot complain. I have run full cycles through the Kodiaks and a tractor headlight (to where the voltage dropped off rapidly) and the packs took 2150 milliamps to charge back up. Do you have different findings to share?
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Cumming, GA
Joined Apr 2006
2,237 Posts

Ok..I will correct myself. I guess I should not have used accuracy as the measurement...I would like to see it say...423 mahs per battery...instead of 0.4. I know this is trivial, but just my personal preferrence. I wish Fromeco would make a charge jack like the kodiac without the display, but have the hi current charge capability. They have a full mah counter display located somewhere in the plane.. Fromeco has the Weasel, but it counts just like the Kodiac..As popular as A123s are...it seems like the products that support them are only have thought out..I like Fromeco..and Duralite, but they could be much better in the area. I might even think of doing something like this and sell. Like we need another battery company in this hobby.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by scoubidou
Canada
Joined Aug 2006
196 Posts

Nice fieldbox Bodywerks!
Have you put a patent on it?

Daniel
scoubidou is offline Find More Posts by scoubidou
Old 12-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

I understand what you are saying pepatrick. I like exact numbers too. However, (I actually thought about this) since I will never be using the batteries down to the last electron (I usually recharge by 50% use) the .1 resolution is good enough. If you think about it that is better than 5% accuracy on a 2300 pack. If they had a four digit display, the switch or meter would have to be larger and likely much more expensive. Meters with that level of accuracy are more expensive for sure.

You could fly with WattMeters installed in line if you wanted. Then you could see peak draw and everything the same as testing a small electric setup.
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

Quote:
I used to only burn 450-500 ma, total, per 10 minute flight. Now, as the 8711 gears have worn, I am burning 650-750. Yes, that is total, not per battery.
Considering that I have 4600ma total capacity, I guess you could say I can get 6 flights on a charge...BUT WHY??????? I don't care how many mah I use, because I know I will NEVER burn 4600ma in one flight, and I charge after every flight with my nerd box. My Fromeco IonCube has a ma counter, and that is how I know how many ma I use per flight.
My 100cc has two A123 1100's. In theory, I am only good for 4-5 flights, but who cares when I just charge between each flight - only takes 10-15 minutes. Worth the hassle for a battery system that is half the weight of what others are putting in their 100cc birds.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks

Quick Reply