Old 01-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by sprice50
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,795 Posts
Help: Tips for Cold weather Moki 2.10

Hey Guys,

I am trying to maiden my H9 Extra 260. It is set up with a Moki 2.10. I am running Morgan Fuels FAI with a OS type F plug.

On Saturday we went to the field and it was around 4 degrees C. We flipped with a chicken stick for 3 hours before we got her started! Once running the motor was great but the wind had picked up considerably so flying was a no go. We cut and restarted the motor at this point several times without difficulty. The motor runs well with the needle set just under 2 turns.

On Sunday we went out again and this time it was 0 Degrees C. Needless to say after trying to start for 1 hour we gave in.

Would a big starter help and if so what is good starter for this size motor? (just thought the starter turning the motor over quickly may heat things up inside)

Does anyone every try heat the head externally. I was thinking of using a hairdryer and blowing it into the cowl for several minutes to warm things up. Would this help?

I'm desperate guys... maybe I just need to wait for 10 C weather.

I am specifically looking for methods that work.

Regards,
Shaun
sprice50 is offline Find More Posts by sprice50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by cal_mag
California
Joined Jan 2006
199 Posts
Re: Help: Tips for Cold weather Moki 2.10

I have used the heavy duty starter from Hobby People to start my 3W24 and 3W50! It needs some help to start out but on 12V it will easily start your Moki. I have also used it to turn my Saito 180. If it is too cold, try making something to block some of the airflow across the head similar to what disel trucks do in the winter.
cal_mag is offline Find More Posts by cal_mag
Old 01-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_mag
I have used the heavy duty starter from Hobby People to start my 3W24 and 3W50! It needs some help to start out but on 12V it will easily start your Moki. I have also used it to turn my Saito 180. If it is too cold, try making something to block some of the airflow across the head similar to what disel trucks do in the winter.
Thanks Cal. I will look into the starter. The airflow is not an issue once I have the motor started once. The idea of the hairdryer was to heat the head to see if it helps the motor start.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by cal_mag
California
Joined Jan 2006
199 Posts

You're Welcome, when I first got my 3W50 I couldn't flip it fast enough to draw fuel in since it was new and dry. The electric starter did the trick and worked great. After the first time, it hand started easily like it was supposed to.
cal_mag is offline Find More Posts by cal_mag
Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts

You might need to pre-heat. Being a cowled engine makes it tougher. You might run a hose from your car's engine exhaust pipe into the cowl to warm the engine. All I know is that you are way more dedicated than me. No way I am sitting around for 3 hours in those temps.

Dan
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 01-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high
You might need to pre-heat. Being a cowled engine makes it tougher. You might run a hose from your car's engine exhaust pipe into the cowl to warm the engine. All I know is that you are way more dedicated than me. No way I am sitting around for 3 hours in those temps.

Dan
Exactley what I was gonna say. Thats what we used to do when I was a little more hardcore about flying in the cold.
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts

JeeUm,

Great minds think alike!

Dan
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 01-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by red_z06
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts

I have used Sullivan Dynatron on OS BGX1 2.2 engine. You need to run it on 24v ( two jump start in series ) to start this engine. I later upgraded to Sullivan Megatron. It has twice the torque of dynatron so 50cc class motors can be turned all day ( provided you have juice ) without overheating. It's expensive but an indispensible tool when you are flipping for 3 hours.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Old 01-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high

Dan
LOL Well when the temps aren't going to warm up for several months, something has to give. Usually my body and not the flying

Thanks for the advice heating up the engine head. I called Great Hobbies and they said the same thing - basically it is SO cold that the fuel is not vaporizing in the head. Lately with electrics all I've had is electrons in the head So I'll take an inverter and the wife's hairdryer to the field on Saturday. LOL

Anyone run their Moki 2.10 on a McCoy #59 plug? (Supposede to be a hot plug so it should work) I have an OS 'F' in there right now.

Hope this solves it.

Shaun
Old 01-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Make sure you prime the carb first.. I use a rubber plug and flip it a few times... These motors love to be wet when started..
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 01-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Shaun Price
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_z06
Sullivan Megatron.- It's expensive but an indispensible tool when you are flipping for 3 hours.
No kidding I am pretty confident that heating the head will solve it. Once we had it started on Saturday, it was no problem to restart by flicking... pretty much first attempt. I think the issue is the fuel not vapourizing.

Why is my shoulder sore...

Another guy mentioned giving a small squirt of WD40 into the engine. This is kerosene based and apparently vapourizes and helps the engine start. Is this like 'playing with fire' or do many modelers use this technique in cold weather?

Are gassers easier to start in cold weather than glow engines?

Shaun
Old 01-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by Highlights
Drop it like it's hot
BC Canada
Joined Jan 2006
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprice50
LOL Well when the temps aren't going to warm up for several months, something has to give. Usually my body and not the flying

Thanks for the advice heating up the engine head. I called Great Hobbies and they said the same thing - basically it is SO cold that the fuel is not vaporizing in the head. Lately with electrics all I've had is electrons in the head So I'll take an inverter and the wife's hairdryer to the field on Saturday. LOL

Anyone run their Moki 2.10 on a McCoy #59 plug? (Supposede to be a hot plug so it should work) I have an OS 'F' in there right now.

Hope this solves it.

Shaun
Your body???????????????? I seem to recall being the one flipping that Biotch for those 3 hours. My lower back will never be the same.
Highlights is offline Find More Posts by Highlights
Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by 3ddd
tissue ? cry baby jack wagon!
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
2,886 Posts

the moki likes about 5% nitro in cold air just to help it start and idle well
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old 01-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by martyg
Arlen, TX
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprice50
On Sunday we went out again and this time it was 0 Degrees C. Needless to say after trying to start for 1 hour we gave in.
I keep a can of lighter fluid in my flight box for this purpose.
Squeeze a shot into the carb and work it in good before cold starts.
This is in addition to whatever priming the motor normally likes.
Guaranteed to start right up. Run at low RPM for first few seconds after it's going.
martyg is offline Find More Posts by martyg
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

What kind of glow plug driver are you using? I found that I could not start my Moki 2.10 in anything under 60 degrees unless I had an adjustable voltage glow driver. Once I used my buddy's and cranked up the voltage, the thing started right up. The glow plug does not seem to ignite the fuel when it's cold unless you put some volts on it.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort

Quick Reply