logo
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Joined Mar 2013
19 Posts

Hi Tom ,

What was your difference in incidence to the stabilizers?
Krill wrote to me when asked that wings and stabilizers incidences should be ZERO.
My right stabilizer is one degree more than the left one.
Raflex is offline Find More Posts by Raflex
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Apr 2014
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raflex View Post
On my kit i will use a DA120cc on stock mufflers .
Falcon carbon propeller 27x11.

Yes i beleive that the Krill will be easier to be build than the Carf.
On Carf i had to assembly the fuel tank base ,all servo mounts and the clear Canopy.
Right now I am trying to solve an incidence issue on Krill with the right stabilizer which is one degree off.

Regards

Alexandros
Good to know. Good luck with your build.
aviator7777 is online now Find More Posts by aviator7777
Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Joined Aug 2014
71 Posts

my aileron center hinge pin keep coming out due to vibrations while running on ground, any idea how to secure it ?
Shanya is offline Find More Posts by Shanya
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Fly Low and Fast
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Oct 2009
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanya View Post
my aileron center hinge pin keep coming out due to vibrations while running on ground, any idea how to secure it ?
glue a piece of wood next to it to keep the pin from backing out.

Use glue that can be broken out if you ever need to pull the pin. 5 minute epoxy, goop, silicon...
3Dbandit is offline Find More Posts by 3Dbandit
Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Joined Aug 2014
71 Posts

Thanks Sir !
Shanya is offline Find More Posts by Shanya
Old 03-25-2015, 03:19 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2006
824 Posts

Use tape to secure the pin. Simple.

Guys stab incidence MUST be set to +1deg( leading edge of stab goes up) motor and wings are 0'

You can't expect krill to offer baffles for all the engines available. Maybe share template on here as a download.
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Arlington, TX USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raflex View Post
Hi Tom ,

What was your difference in incidence to the stabilizers?
Krill wrote to me when asked that wings and stabilizers incidences should be ZERO.
My right stabilizer is one degree more than the left one.
The R/H side was .5* different from the L/H. I made offset aluminum anti-rotation pins to set them at 1* pos.

Tom
Pittsflyboy is offline Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 AM
Arlington, TX USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig77 View Post
Use tape to secure the pin. Simple.

Guys stab incidence MUST be set to +1deg( leading edge of stab goes up) motor and wings are 0'

You can't expect krill to offer baffles for all the engines available. Maybe share template on here as a download.
It would not be an issue no matter what engine is used. Krill could make them over length and this would allow fitting per application as I stated in my post.

Tom
Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Arlington, TX USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,350 Posts

I was doing a full assemblely of my Krill and ran into a factory induced problem. The front wing attach bolts would NOT thread into the wings. The R/H side was the closes and with some effort was able to get it to start, but it would NOT screw all the way in. There was NO problem with the blind nuts in the wing. The L/H side was a full 1/4" out of location. During the build process we had only installed the rear bolts to check CG, wing incidence angles, etc. After re-checking the incidence angles I found them to be .1 to .2 tents of a degree off "zero". I had to elongate both the front holes in the fuselage to allow the bolts to thread into the wing blind nuts with the left hand side . So, to fix the problem after elongating the front holes I made 4 aluminum washers 1.0" dia. drilled with a letter B drill which is .238 dia. I aligned the wings to the proper zero incidence angle and installed the washers bonding them with Hysol to the inside of the fuse. This should be a good fix. Also, I plan on installing a 1/4" dia. pin in the wing roots on each wing near the aft bolt locations to aid in installing the wing, this will align the wing to the hole for the wing attach bolts.

Has anyone else had the attach bolt problem?

I'm read for the first flight at last.

Tom
Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM
Joined Mar 2013
19 Posts

Dear Tom hi,
To tell you the trough i haven't check the fore attach bolts because i used only the aft for checking the wings incidence, now that you are mentioned it i will check to be sure.
My findings on incidences are the following:
When Down thrust and fuselage is to 0* (according to Krill) wings are in +0,5* positive.
Left stabilizer is at +0,5* and right was +1,5* positive.
So i corrected and now all wings and stabilizers are in +0,5* positive.I will leave it this way until the Maiden and then will see.Craig strongly recommend and i really appreciate his help which always willing to provide, that the stabilizers should be +1* positive with the wings to 0*.
Krill and Gernot said that ALL incidences should be 0* , down thrust 0* and right thrust 3*to 3,5* on two blade propellers.Three blades propellers should have less right thrust.Out of the box firewall have 2* right thrust and as Craig suggested with a washer would go close to 3*.
What i will do is to fly with +0,5* incidence in all surfaces i will correct right thrust to 3* and then with the correct CG hopefully will fly superb ..

Regards
Alexandros
Raflex is offline Find More Posts by Raflex
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2006
824 Posts

Hi Guys.

apologies if you find a few measurements out on the incidences. feel free to drop me a pm if you need any assistance correcting this.

the engine and wings are set to 0 using the canopy base frame line as your reference. on early testing I could never get my plane to feel locked in and chased it with thrust changes and cg changes. we found the sweet spot by moving the stab to +1deg IE leading edge of stab goes up. the ballooning effect immediately was resolved. my extra was originally set to 0,0,0.

my latest extra powered by the MVVS190 quad and hitec 7990 servos is by far the most precise machine I've ever flown. when setup correctly these extras are incredible in the pattern world, Iam very excited to see how the new IMAC based 330LX will perform..
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2014
24 Posts

Got my DA amounted the common way stand up on tail etc.. Everything lined up perfectly however, I realized the left cylinder is dropped about 1mm in relation the right ( pilots view).. Is this going to affect the flight characteristics.. I'm assuming it shouldn't. I really wanted my engine to be parallel to the wing tube but oh well.. I was told to measure twice and cut once!

Decided to beef up the engine dome with some west system resin and cf cloth..
DocDDS is offline Find More Posts by DocDDS
Last edited by DocDDS; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2014
24 Posts

Reading the past few posts is a bit concerning, I haven't checked my incidences yet but I hope I won't need to mess with them too much.. My wing bolts all screw in all the way except for the front right one gives me a 3mm gap.. Not sure how to correct that.. Any who ill check mu incidences and see!
DocDDS is offline Find More Posts by DocDDS
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
Arlington, TX USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,350 Posts

I got the first flights on mine today, I flew well. It was a bit windy so not a great day for trimming. Had issues with tail wheel steering, need stronger springs and that should fix that. It took a few clicks of up and right aileron. I have the stab set at +1* pos. and the counter balances are dead true with the stab mold lines after triming. I'm running the DA-120 with a 29"-9" Falcon and it's easy to rip it. I think I'll go to a 3 blade and see how that works out Has anyone used a Falcon 3 blade on the DA-120?
One more thing with regard to the wing bolt attach points. once you are satisfied with the incidence angle on the wings I recoment that you glue aluminum washers on the inside to prevent the M6 attach bolts from wearing out the holes in the fuse.

Tom