Old 01-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
913 Posts
Question
EQ-10 set-up

Hey guys, having a brain fart and am new to power expanders. On the eq-10 set up, what connection puts power to the receiver? I am just getting it hooked up and can't seem to wrap my head around it. I have an A123 hooked up with one servo to the panel running a fail safe switch to the board. I'm thinking I have to hook up power thru one of the powered pig tails (ch. 1 or 10). Just not sure. Thanks in advance.....

Dazed and confused!
JCFLYR is offline Find More Posts by JCFLYR
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
You have two sets of servo wires on each end of all the white signal wires. Plug those into a channel on each end of the receiver like 1 and 10. That gives you power.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB View Post
You have two sets of servo wires on each end of all the white signal wires. Plug those into a channel on each end of the receiver like 1 and 10. That gives you power.
So when I use either channel 1 or 10 from the eq-10 to receiver it is supplying 5 volts of power to receiver and to that servo correct? Can I plug ch 1 or 10 from eq-10 directly to the battery input of receiver if I'm not using it for a servo?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Still Draggin' 'Em
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFLYR View Post
So when I use either channel 1 or 10 from the eq-10 to receiver it is supplying 5 volts of power to receiver and to that servo correct? Can I plug ch 1 or 10 from eq-10 directly to the battery input of receiver if I'm not using it for a servo?
It provides 5v to the receiver but voltage to the servo depends on if you're using a regulator. I don't remember if the eq10 has a built in super or turbo reg. If it does, you can adjust the voltage to the servos to a maximum of 6.6v. If you're not using a regulator and there isn't one built in, you'll get 5v to the rereceiver and direct battery voltage to your servos. You can plug those leads to a battery input but that decreases the amount of channels to the power expander you can use. Better to plug them into channel 1 and 10. Use both plugs that provide power to the receiver even if you wont use one of those channels.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
913 Posts
Thanks again for the help. I am using an R-921 rx 9 channel so I will plug one into the battery port of the rx and the other into one of the other channels. Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Still Draggin' 'Em
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again for the help. I am using an R-921 rx 9 channel so I will plug one into the battery port of the rx and the other into one of the other channels. Thanks
Just plug them in channel 1 and 9(aux2 I think?). That's how I had mine on my 921.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
NO, DO NOT PLUG INTO THE BATTERY PORT. All the connections on the Eq10 are designed to plug into SERVO PORTs only. If you plug any of our connections into the battery port on a JR or Spectrum receiver (Bat/Bind) you risk unbinding the receiver at some point. When you are done hooking up your receiver to the Eq10 your Battery ports (including bind and data) should have NOTHING plugged into them. If this is not clear, please call us. Please call us.

Quote:
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
NO, DO NOT PLUG INTO THE BATTERY PORT. All the connections on the Eq10 are designed to plug into SERVO PORTs only. If you plug any of our connections into the battery port on a JR or Spectrum receiver (Bat/Bind) you risk unbinding the receiver at some point. When you are done hooking up your receiver to the Eq10 your Battery ports (including bind and data) should have NOTHING plugged into them. If this is not clear, please call us. Please call us.
Clear as mud! Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts
I was just about to scream the same thing! Remember your RX is a bus so power can be applied at any servo input. So I typically use 1/10 on the EQ10 as a servo input.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
I'm pretty sure it states that in the set-up literature, you should go to their website and download the PDF file for that unit.
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Here is the link for the manuals:http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Expander/expander.htm
Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
i would recheck with smart fly, but i thought you could plug the PE power into the power input into the reciever if you remove the 3rd aka signal wire from the plug. that way it just has a power and ground and no signal wire going into the reciever.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Team Chaos
United States, MI, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmceachern View Post
I'm pretty sure it states that in the set-up literature, you should go to their website and download the PDF file for that unit.
Yeah I have the manual and read that as well, I just interprated it differently when I read it. I thought you could plug into the battery port just not the bind port. My issue was when using the powered pigtales....(1 and 10).....for a servo port, is that servo getting 5 volts now or is it still getting the raw battery power?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I have the manual and read that as well, I just interprated it differently when I read it. I thought you could plug into the battery port just not the bind port. My issue was when using the powered pigtales....(1 and 10).....for a servo port, is that servo getting 5 volts now or is it still getting the raw battery power?
The signal will stay the same. Use the channels you need and whatever ports are left plug the power leads to them. It does not matter which rx port you use just not the original battery port on the rx.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Quote:
The 5V is just powering the receiver. This has nothing to do with the servo power. The servo power is directed straight from the battery inputs to the servo power pins. The servos have no idea what voltage the receiver is running on and they don't care.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply