logo
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by RCToon
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Question
Questions on PilotRC 35% Sbach / DLE 111

This is not really a build thread. I was just putting together my Sbach with a DLE111. My first Sbach and first DLE 111

Questions:
1. Why does Pilot RC ask us to cut a centre hole in the firewall behind the engine? there is no way out for the air in the fuslage so I dont see much point in cutting that hole.
2. On the DLE i was trying to put a servo for the choke to have a transmitter based engine cut off control. The choke lever is so wrong that I can only use a manual lever to operate it. Else remove the orgnal lever and install a arm, which is unnecessary work if you ask me. Those with DEL111's and know what I am talking about, any ideas on how I can install a servo for the choke without going through a lot of hassle?
RCToon is offline Find More Posts by RCToon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by FGMember
GTA, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
623 Posts
I don't know about the hole! but instead of chock servo you can use "ignition kill" switch. (I use my finger to reach to chock arm on my GW Sbach!)
FGMember is offline Find More Posts by FGMember
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC
United States, SC, McClellanville
Joined Sep 2008
2,747 Posts
I use the choke servo. What I do is remove the existing arm/lever by grinding the end of the choke shaft enought to knock the lever off. Then I use a swb servo arm for Hitec servo, I drill the hole out that normally would be on the splines shaft of the servo. Do not drill out the splines, just the end thats blocked off where the servo screw is. The one that holds the arm on the servo. Slip this over the choke shaft, and position as needed. Then tighten the little allen screw/nut were the it compresses on the coke shaft. Whoa all new choke arm. Rutnbuc
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylieruneyjr View Post
I use the choke servo. What I do is remove the existing arm/lever by grinding the end of the choke shaft enought to knock the lever off. Then I use a swb servo arm for Hitec servo, I drill the hole out that normally would be on the splines shaft of the servo. Do not drill out the splines, just the end thats blocked off where the servo screw is. The one that holds the arm on the servo. Slip this over the choke shaft, and position as needed. Then tighten the little allen screw/nut were the it compresses on the coke shaft. Whoa all new choke arm. Rutnbuc
Nice
I would have like to avoid the grinding and all, but i think it is worth it.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Find More Posts by Spotfree
Norway, Nordland, Andøy
Joined Feb 2007
75 Posts
I have just made mine with a choke servo. What I did was a one inch long thin aluminum plate, made a fork like split at the end. The size of this must be the same as the exsisting arm of the choke . Made a hole that was the same as on the choke lever. Placed the alu. plate on the inside of the choke lever and use a pop nail/ bolt to fasten. The fork like split together with the nail will prevent to arm from moving. Oh, I forgot,,,,the alu. plate can be cut out at any angle you may see fit for your engine and servo placement
Spotfree is offline Find More Posts by Spotfree
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
Thanks Spot!

On the Sbach 35% where do you place the throttle and choke servos? I would like to keep them behind the engine, but since that would be close to the silencers I am think perhaps the heat will be too much.
Placing them in the fuslage the rods become a little too long and will vibrate in a gasser.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Find More Posts by Spotfree
Norway, Nordland, Andøy
Joined Feb 2007
75 Posts
I placed mine together under the engine inside the headers just behind the firewall ( I use cannisters with 70 mm drop on headers). To prevent heat from damaging the servo I made a heat shield from very light alum.
Spotfree is offline Find More Posts by Spotfree
Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by cruiser3983
United States, WV, Sissonville
Joined Dec 2009
6 Posts
I'm just finishing my plane. If the CG is at the rear of the wing tube, I will have to add 8 ozs to the tail. This seems like a lot of weight! Has anyone else had this problem?
cruiser3983 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser3983
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts
Just move your batteries aft. I had mine placed at the forward edge of the rear turtledeck..
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 AM
Dubai, UAE
Joined Dec 2009
880 Posts
+1
I installed my A123 batteries below the Rudder servo tray. The CG comes out about an inch ahead of the recommended CG, but that is fine for the first few flights which is all I have just done so far. Once I get more comfortable with the plane, I will move the batteries further back, including the ignition battery (2200mah A123 too) which is way ahead right now.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Find More Posts by raptorheli2
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
+2

Both my a123's are halfway down the rear of the fuse.

In hindsight if I knew that I would have put the rudder servo in the tail but alas.

Cheers
raptorheli2 is offline Find More Posts by raptorheli2

Quick Reply