Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by Neogenesis
Down Low..Too Slow..DOH!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,239 Posts
Smart FLy Turbo-Reg

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried using the Smart-Fly Super Reg or Turbo Reg? I was looking at them as a cheaper solution to a low end Emcotec unit. The Turbo Reg unit has dual battery inputs, dual outputs, automatic failover if one pack fails, dual adjustable regulators, handles up to 17.5 amps, and has a failsafe switch. What do you guys think, could this possible be another options to a low end Emetec unit at 1/2 the price? I realize the Turboreg has a few less options than the Emcotec, but for those of us that don't want/need all of that.....what do you guys think?

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Regulator/3.htm

Neo Out!!!!
Neogenesis is offline Find More Posts by Neogenesis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts
Re: Smart FLy Turbo-Reg

Neo,

I am right smack in the middle of doing a reveiw on a ton of new products coming out from Smart-Fly so hang in. But to answer your question I use the super regs and turbo regs on everything I have now and you will not find better. I will try to post a shot of the setup in my 2.3.

I have the super reg, HD reg and the turbo reg to do some work on plus a new one due out soon that is TOP SECRET!!!!. Sorry Robert would turn me into a ball bearingless individual if I even try and hint at what it is going to look like.

Kiwi
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,239 Posts

Kiwi,

If I may ask, how far out is this new product? I'm about a week or two out from ordering the power system for my 46% Giles. Is it worth waiting for?

Thanks,

Neo Out!!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

My best guess would be two or three months. The device is still in the final design stage and then it needs testing and some field trials.

What is available now will more than fill your requirements.

Kiwi
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by Money Mike
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Jan 2006
37 Posts

I am not one of the super flyers, but I use turbo reg by smart fly on both of my 40% ers They do what needs to be done. Sometimes extra bells and whistles only add to the chances of a failure. Just what we bought the damn part to avoid. The Smart fly reg does what I needed and does it flawlessly.
Money Mike is offline Find More Posts by Money Mike
Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,239 Posts

Thanks Mike,

I would rather hear from the down to earth everyday flier. I know your word isn't being driven by a sponsers dollar. I decided to go with the TurboReg.....over stand alone regulators.

Neo Out!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,239 Posts

Were you guys aware that the Turbo Reg isn't fully redundant? The way the description is written on thier website makes it sound like it is. There is still a single point of failure though....that being the controller that controls both regs. I was a little disappointed to hear this. I will be returning mine shortly.

Neo
Old 02-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by todhog
Communist Peachtree City Ga.
Joined Jan 2006
235 Posts

I think if you do a little more research you'll find out why they are that way and change your mind.

Todd
todhog is offline Find More Posts by todhog
Old 02-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Neo,

It would be interesting to see if there are any other regulators out there that are truly dual redundant. You could assure yourself of that by using two regulators but you would not get an even discharge over the two packs by doing it that way.

The Turbo reg to my understanding ( I am no electronics geek ok) is as dual as any other power system out on the market.

The transistors that actually handle the current are redundant but there is a common control circuit. This is done so the transistors share current equally, reducing the chance for failure of the unit. If something else broke the regulator would go down but the control circuits are less likely to fail because they do not handle high currents.

I have been running power expanders and super rugulators since they day they came out. They have had a hard life with me both environment wise and flying wise. To this day I have not had a single issue with them.

Please let me know if you can find a true dual redundant system please as I am relatively sure everyone uses a similar setup.

Good point Neo, you have done your homework. Keep us posted.

Kiwi
Old 02-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todhog
I think if you do a little more research you'll find out why they are that way and change your mind.

Todd
Then enlighten me oh wise one. Why hold back the info?

By the time I combine this with the Power Expander, "which I have not yet purchased" You've got a pretty solid system. But for the same money I can move into a Emcotec that will provide even more features. Even if it shares the same weakness which I'm not sure if it does, it a better deal in my mind.

Neo
Last edited by Neogenesis; 02-10-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Neo,

Its horses for courses mate. What ever gives you the most confidence then go with it.

I think at the end of the day all these systems are much of a muchness. Emcotec, Powerbox, Power expander and there are probably others.

What I am sure of however is you cannot get a full system Emcotec or a powerbox for $185 bucks. Sure you can throw a few more coins in for cables etc but that goes for them all.

However I am not trying to start a product war of words here. As i say above, what ever lights your fire go with it. That way you wont feel wronged by anyone.

They are all good products and deserve the place in the market they attain by performance and price. Simple.

Kiwi
Old 02-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2006
235 Posts

I think Kiwi pretty much did that. RCuniverse has a whole section dedicated to the Smartfly line and ALL the posts are responded to by Robert Ritchie himself. Go there and tell him what you think and he will truley enlighten you. The setup you are talking about is the last peice of the puzzle for my 40%er. I have just been waiting to get it until I got the rest of the stuff I need. He convinced me.

Todd
Old 02-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
1,239 Posts

My point here wasn't to start a product war, but to let others who are looking at this product know that even though it's referred to as redundant there is a failure point in it.

Actually you can get the DPSI RV Mini 6 for $189. That is a complete system.

Todhog, I called Smartfly today and questioned them about it. He was straight with me when I called him and I respect him for that. So I was enlightened as you put it. I was also told when I talked to him that they have never had a failure on any of their regulators. I'm sorry but I'll call bull on that. Every company and I do mean every company has failures. Nobody is perfect. So...anyway.....todhog, I still haven't heard any of those reasons that they are the way they are. If you have any info...let me know. It may change my mind. In the meantime....I'll head over to that site I dislike so much and browse a bit to see if I can dig up any more information. I really don't want to send it back because my packs are all made up, I've got all the wire and ends I need in the mail....I was ready to finish up the system.

Bottom line is I'm trying to get as safe as possible while still working on a budget.

Neo
Last edited by Neogenesis; 02-10-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2006
235 Posts

Hey, before you send all that stuff back make up a list of it and if it's what I was gonna buy I might buy yours. I'm definetly going with the Turbo regulator and a power expander for a Futaba receiver.

Todd
Old 02-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by The Hobbyman
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
515 Posts

I am using the supereg and power expander on my 34% Extra and it has worked flawlessly, I also use the Smart-Fly ignition cut off and it is the same. I say well done to Robert Ritchey for producing a product that works this well, he has proven that you dont have to spend a stack of money for a truly good product.
The Hobbyman is offline Find More Posts by The Hobbyman

Quick Reply