Old 12-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
Question
Ignition Regulator/kill switch power setup Question

Ok so my current 50cc is setup with the everything running off 2 batteries through a Sahara Regulator.
I have been recently informed that I could be putting myself at risk if the spark plug arcs or something shorts out in the ignition that it could back flow into my batteries, then into the receiver, or vice versa, subsequently rendering my plane out of control due to no power to anything.

My next setup is going to be with a SF Power Expander Sport Plus.

My questions are:

Are the allegations of possible failures feeding back through the regulator with the above mentioned setup true?
Is there an ignition regulator on the market that protects from back feed, overload, etc?
If so who makes it?

I was hoping to plug the power for my ignition regulator into one of the empty channels in the Power Expander, so I could still run with 2 battery setup and not add the third just for the ignition.

Thanks in advance,
Opie
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
We highly recommend ALWAYS running a separate ignition battery. Anything going wrong in the ignition, including a loose plug cap, can cause excessive noise to follow the wire back into the receiver power system and swamp the receiver out causing it to loose contact with the transmitter. Filtered systems only work when the ignition is working properly. If an ignition module goes out of wack they do not protect your receiver. So, ALWAYS run a separate battery for ignition if you think your plane is worth more than $40.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Sigh...really?
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
Well I guess Im still a little confused. If the above mentioned should to happen, what stops the noise/interference/anything from going to the receiver through the ignition kill switch that is attached directly to the SF board which goes into the receiver channel? I understand how it would protect the battery, but it still has an avenue to get to the receiver...through the kill switch...into the expander...into the receiver..
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
Well I guess Im still a little confused. If the above mentioned should to happen, what stops the noise/interference/anything from going to the receiver through the ignition kill switch that is attached directly to the SF board which goes into the receiver channel? I understand how it would protect the battery, but it still has an avenue to get to the receiver...through the kill switch...into the expander...into the receiver..

no it wouldn't. they are opti coupled. no electrical connections at all.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
I like Mountain Dew!!
Elkhart Lake WI USA
Joined Jul 2007
407 Posts
Quote:

You need to use a fiber optic kill connection on your kill switch.
401HITMAN is offline Find More Posts by 401HITMAN
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Sigh...really?
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
Ok thanks.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Our Ignition Cutoff uses a fiber-optic interface between the receiver and the ignition. This is a plastic cable that only transmits light. This completely isolates your ignition power from your receiver power. This is why you can have problems when you run a throttle or choke servo way up front with the engine and the ignition wires are near the servo wires. The ignition wire induce noise and current in the servo wire which goes right back into the receiver. With our system you can completely isolate all your ignition wiring from your receiver wiring because the fiber-optic cable can be up to 3 feet long. Its always best to keep all your ignition wiring and receiver wiring, including servo leads, as far apart as possible.

Quote:
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply