logo
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Gone flying with an Indianapolis 500 winner

Article written by Kevin Young

No matter how much you watch auto racing, you have probably heard the name Juan Pablo Montoya. If not, Juan Pablo Montoya is the Columbian superstar of racing who has met success in every type of car he has ever raced. His bio is full of impressive stats including a Series Championship and an Indianapolis 500 win in the CART series, multiple wins in the Formula 1 series including the famed Monaco G.P. , and Winner of the Rolex 24 hour at Daytona. Juan currently calls the NASCAR series home where he also has had great success including a rookie of the year award and race wins in NASCAR's top two series.

What you may not know about Juan Pablo Montoya is he's an all around cool guy and a fellow r/c pilot whose interests go from aerobatic airplanes, to turbine jets, to helicopters, to foamies. Without the efforts of several companies and individuals I would have never known how much Juan enjoys the hobby, but today I got to find out. Thanks to the efforts of the AMA, NASCAR photographer and friend Ernie Masche, JTEC Radiowave, and Flying Ace's r/c club we were able to arrange some time to go flying with Juan.

Shortly after Joe Nall, Ernie Masche contacted us at JTEC Radiowave about the possibility of bringing some airplanes out to the local Flying Ace's club for a public relations event that the AMA, Showtime Network and a few NASCAR related companies organized with Juan. So of course we said yes, I mean come on we live in the NASCAR capital of the world (Mooresville, NC) and all of us at the shop are auto racing fans. We were not exactly sure about what was going to be involved but we were told that Juan does have a few giant scale airplanes and jets. So what did we do, we went on YouTube and searched for videos of Juan flying to see exactly what kind of pilot he was. After watching a few videos we were comfortable enough letting him loose with a couple of our airplanes.

With the Sprint All Star race last weekend and the Coca-Cola 600 race coming up in Charlotte this Memorial Day weekend most of the drivers are in town and today May 26th we met up with Juan to go flying.

As soon as Juan arrived you could tell he loves r/c and more impressively he knows his stuff. It was really nice to see that Juan is a very down to earth guy just wanted to hang out, fly, and talk about airplanes. So after a warm up flight on a parkzone t-28 we set up my Radiowave 3.2m Extra 300 with the DA-200 in it. I took the airplane off just to make sure everything was trimmed properly and then handed the radio over to Juan and within a few seconds he was going at it, flying some nice lines with some rolls and snaps. Within a couple of minutes and a bump up in the rates he was popping the airplane up and putting it in a hover and doing some knife edge flight. I think my favorite part was the whole time he was flying my airplane, we were talking just like you would if it were one of your friends that you have known forever out on the flight line. Juan seemed to really enjoy himself flying the airplane and kept commenting on how much power the DA-200 had compared to his and how fast the throttle response was on it.

Next we set him up with Former T.O.C. and fellow JTEC Radiowave pilot Jerry Neel, this time Juan flew Jerry's Radiowave 3.2m Extra 300 with the DA-170 on KS1090's. Once again he felt comfortable enough with the airplane to do some aerobatics and have fun with it. After Juan's second flight we had Jerry go back up and put on a demonstration for Juan and all the NASCAR people there and I think it's safe to say that Jerry impressed them a bit with his flying.

After everyone left and we were packing up the airplanes we got a message that Juan had posted a message on his Twitter page that he an awesome morning flying with us and really loved how our airplanes flew. So in all I have to say it was a great experience and I know that there is a whole group of Juan Pablo Montoya fans now.

Again I want to send a big thanks to the AMA, Ernie Masche, JTEC Radiowave, the Showtime Network and everyone involved.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Re: Gone flying with an Indianapolis 500 winner

Full pic!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by A-Track
Hey! Lemme show ya something!
Joined Jun 2006
15,070 Posts

Thats kinda cool.
A-Track is offline Find More Posts by A-Track
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts

that is frigging awsome. i would love to hang and fly with some of the superstars. very cool indeed. i watched a interview with jaun on tv about his flying. he said he flys if he dosent have to race. he also said he flys foamys at the track during down time. other drivers are starting to fly as well
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Some video would be the schiznitt
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by kirbdog
''RIGHT RUDDER MAAAN!''
lagrange nc
Joined Jan 2007
523 Posts

that's awesome!
kirbdog is offline Find More Posts by kirbdog
Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%plane View Post
Some video would be the schiznitt
Actually it is supposed to be on Inside NASCAR on Showtime tonight. There may be some other videos available later. They had us put some HD cameras in the airplanes and fly around, and yes we did our best to break them. I broke the mount off of one of the cameras.

Juan definately likes r/c he was telling me that during a lot of the nationwide races he will go out and fly foamies or his helicopters. He generally brings a trex 250 or 450 with him to the track.

Kevin
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by Bryant330L
Salem, Indiana ........USA!
Joined Jan 2006
869 Posts

Neat stuff! I bet that was a great experience for you guys. Juan seems like a cool guy.
Bryant330L is offline Find More Posts by Bryant330L
Old 06-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Al and Kevin,

You guys Rock! This will give our hobby the exposure it deserves! This hobby is getting to a point that we need exposure beyond our normal activities to grow! You guys are awesome for doing that and everyone else involved!
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

I wonder if NASCAR drivers fly control line when they get the flying bug. In an anti clockwise direction only.......Left turrrrn.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts

Kevin.. .I'm actually in Mooresville today! I come up here from Atlanta about once a month or so on business.... where's a good flying field around here?

BTW.. great article!
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by RobertV
increasing thrust........
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

Great article, Kevin!

Actually, there are several NASCAR guys that I know have dabbled in RC over the years. I've heard that Juan Pablo is in deep, though!

Bill Elliott was pretty amazing with a heli and, when I worked for Ganassi, Jason Leffler wanted me to teach him how to fly. That never happened since I left the team shortly thereafter. And RC cars....a bunch of team guys do that! I spent many days tuning engines and TX programming on T-Maxx trucks for them as they had a blast racing each other.
RobertV is offline Find More Posts by RobertV
Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by zzw26n
United States, MI, Shelby Charter Township
Joined Mar 2006
2,033 Posts

How Cool!
zzw26n is offline Find More Posts by zzw26n
Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by LawnJockey
cuttin the grass with balsa
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jan 2006
1,490 Posts

Very Cool. Have you guys also thought about getting with Unlimited Hydroplane driver Dave Villwock?

LJ
LawnJockey is offline Find More Posts by LawnJockey

Quick Reply