logo
Old 09-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Stevegauth30
United States, CT, Bristol
Joined Nov 2013
11 Posts
Discussion
3D mixes

Does any of the seasoned 3D pilots out there feel like taking the time to help a newbie out with explaining some of the mixes used in 3D flying? Im not new to flying, but quite green in the 3D world. I ask questions at the field to some of the better pilots, and they all say i need to set up some mixes, but dont go much beyond that in terms of help. Heres the current set up:
EG Aircraft EDGE 540,
DA 50 R
Power Hd coreless D-21 HV on all surfaces.
Im balanced just about neutral with a hint of tail heavy. It pulls pretty good to the gear in a KE, It flies almost hands off inverted. What kind of mixes are some of you using? Im just looking for some basic info to get me going. Then i can fine tune it to my plane and flying. ( i know all planes are different , like i said, just some ideas for a 3D newbie.) Thanks in advance. Steve.
Stevegauth30 is offline Find More Posts by Stevegauth30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by thewooster
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2013
286 Posts
No real answers, experimenting is the best way to find out.....in general, you want to have enough throws (35 - 45+ degrees) on all control surfaces to allow you to do most maneuvers and enough expo (usually 40-60%) to help you manage and stay a step ahead. Each plane and design will react different, so have fun experimenting......
thewooster is offline Find More Posts by thewooster
Old 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,217 Posts
Sounds like you need to add a mix of a small amount of up elevator (2 to 5 degrees) slaved to the rudder to get rid of the pitch to the belly in knife edge. And, there could be slightly different rates of the elevator from knife edge right-wing-high to left-wing-high. Note that once you do that, the plane should also fly around in a horizontal circle with wings level, applying only rudder.

The idea of mixes is to take away, or at least reduce, the coupling of a plane, where a stick movement in one direction requires some other stick movement(s) to get that pure action the original stick movement was expected to do. The goal is to take a load off the pilot, by making the rudder only yaw the plane right and left, instead of fighting, what is called, a coupling issue. Most planes have some coupling.

You did not mention rolling out of the knife edge. Most planes want to roll back out of the knife edge. This will require some aileron slaved to the rudder as well.

As for throws and expo, each has their own preferences to how much, and this can vary with each plane. It's pretty much as thewooster said. At 3D rates it is likely 35 degrees max deflection on aileron, and 45 degrees max throw on elevator and rudder. I suspect that on normal rates, to get some precision in your flying with your Edge 540, you would want about 20 to 21 degrees max throw on the ailerons, maybe 10 to 14 degrees on the elevator, depending on where the CG is, and about 25 to 30 degrees on the rudder.

I have typically put in about 35% expo for all surfaces in normal rate to give them a linear feel, and not be too sensitive near neutral stick. For the high rate, or 3D rate, you want to find an expo that gives the same feel around neutral that the normal rate gives. Depending on the surface, that could be anywhere from 45% to 65%, or more.

There may be an additional rate, that some IMAC guys like to put in, and that is a low rate on aileron, for having more control when doing a rolling circle. This is not the same as a high-alpha rolling harrier, which is done at high rates. It is a precision maneuver that is very difficult to do and score well on. Just ask an Unlimited IMAC pilot.

Do you have Peter Goldmith's article on trimming an airplane? If not, do a web search. It's a two-part article that was published in the AMA magazine many years ago, when Mike Hurley wrote the RC Scale Aerobatics column.
wingwall is offline Find More Posts by wingwall
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2013
11 Posts
Thanks guys for the info so far. I probably should have mentioned more on my set up. I have three rates set up right now. The highest rate gives me 40 deg. on both ele. and ail. and 45 on the rudder and the lowest rates are 25 on ele. and ail. and 35 on rud. All have an expo setting of between 55 and 65. And yes, i need to be on top of the ailerons in a KE to keep from rolling back to level. Ive heard about Peters trimming chart and will certainly be willing to give it a try. Like i said, im pretty new to this style of flying so im open to all tips and suggestions .
Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
First off I think you have way too much Expo. I don't go over 45% and that's on a maiden. Most times they end up somewhere in the 30-35% range. The trim guide is your first place to start. I never follow it from beginning to end but following the basics will get you close. Most of my planes have a rudder to elevator mix to correct for a pull to canopy or gear in KE and that is all. I find it difficult to mix out roll coupling as speed makes such an impact so I correct for that on the sticks.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, GA, Canton
Joined Feb 2013
2,826 Posts
Now if you want to build a purpose built 3D machine then no mixes are required at all. This Wrong Way RC LamSuk 60cc profile will fly in any position almost hands off and all it has is a little expo. Flying this plane has helped me to advance my 3D skills at a much faster pace then ever. No where near expert level but it's been like learning to fly all over again.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 09-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
What Muttdog said is my opinion as well. High rate and LOW exponential for quickest response for 3D...just de-tune your fingers. Low(er) rates I soften up a bit with expo. "My" general rule of thumb for non-3D rates is exponential = to 1/2 of your percentage of throw as a starting point. 100% throw = 50% expo or 40% throw = 20% expo for example. YMMV.
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 09-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Joined Nov 2013
11 Posts
Its the first time I ever flew anything at that high of an expo setting. I've been flying that way for a month or two now but will certainly try less. I'll play around with the rudder/elevator mix a bit too. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by DanielIsbell
My wife thinks I'm at work!
United States, CO, Eaton
Joined Jan 2013
216 Posts
I love reading this kind of stuff! I don't really have much to add. Except for maybe don't worry too much about the correct throw to expo ratio. Take some of the advice and use it as a starting point. Then find a ratio that is comfortable. If you are always chasing the perfect expo percentage you will find yourself focusing on what to change next instead of practicing your sticks. Imo.
DanielIsbell is offline Find More Posts by DanielIsbell

Quick Reply