logo
Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
Re: Krill 39% Katana-build/finish

Sorry to butt in on your build tread like that.I blame mom for my bad manors .
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Find More Posts by joenella
Odense, Denmark
Joined Dec 2006
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo2 View Post
i was out flying my 33% krill today,when out of no were the plane got real juky so i gathered myself up and brought her in.it was a fun minute or two cause thos wings where banging something fearce.long story short i pulled of the canopy to find cracks around wing bolt mounts and all fuse joiners seperated and delamination on fuse by joiners.anybody else heard of this and any ideas on best way to repare would be sweet .i am new to comp planes.
Don't use the fuse for bolting your wing as it will delaminate! use a hook in both wings and use a big rubberband from hook to hook ! this works great and will save your fuse from delaminating

Joen
joenella is offline Find More Posts by joenella
Old 08-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by xtra330
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

never heard of that happening, post some pics of the cracks. My Katana has well over 300 flights on it with no problems...Gernot even pancaked his Katatna in at the XFC, hit so hard he had to use John Glezellis's stabs from his Katana, but the wings everything else was fine, his plane has over 700 flights on it, I would contact Ivo Krill and let him know your situation.

Joe
xtra330 is offline Find More Posts by xtra330
Old 08-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts

ya...i was supprissed!the plane only has about 30 flights and i do fly it properly hard (i.e.why i spent comp doller)I saw john flying yours at 06 x.f.c.and he ran that thing through the ringer thats one reason i bought this plane.also ido-jason-gernot.big bumber is some buds and i where going to do some vids sunday......oh well shot down again insdead i will take pictures of cracks.......ya
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts

that rubberband deal sounds scarry.I learned most of my socalled flying on a jr models deablotin xl with da50 first thing i did was toss the hooks and bands and used nylon bolts.....there i go again sidetracking your thread very sorry.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

OK......Didnt finish, didnt come close...but got closer than I was on Thursday of last week...Friday was productive, Sat fell to the waste side, Sunday was house duty, today was work....oh well.

I managed to get the rudder tray servos installed and programmed through the Powerbox. I also managed to get the contol horns located and installed on the rudder. The cable wire exit slots in the fuse located and cut out, and the rudder installed.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

I was also able to swap out the two 5955TG servos in each stab for 1ea 8711 servo per stab, these servos are VERY tight, the elevators dont even fall when the power system is shutoff. I also got my good friend Wayne Mathews to come by for a short while to assist in getting the wing incedences set...couple of measurments here and there, and your set.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

I was able to get the hardpoint installed in each wheelpant, this was done by using 1/8" birch epoxied in with BVM Aeropoxy...this was also used in gluing the rudder horns.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

I then tackled the cannister mount...I decided to copy what is currently in my other Katana, easy access when you have to pull the cannisters out, and easy for maintenance. I used 1/8" birch for this as well. I took the MTW cannister mount, and used it as a template to draw on the birch.

Then cut it in half...the bottom portion is glued in permenatly in the fuse. I used Aerotrend tubing to secure the cannisters in the mount.

Make the top section taller to allow it to overlap the bottom section, here is where you will drill for 4ea 4-40 screws. You want to be able to push down to line the holes up, this gives good pressure allaround the cannister to prevent it from flopping around and backing out of the mount.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

Forgot to mention that you wll have to remove some material from the LG former to allow the cannisters to rest lower in the fuse. If you dont, they will come very close to the Blade spars when the wings are installed. No worries about the material removed as you are going back in with the lower half of the cannister mount, glued to this former.

For good measure, I applied carbon fiber to the upper half cannister mount to make it a little bit more rigid...not needed, but this is what happens when you only got a few minutes at a time to work on a project like this...just something to do when passing by the table.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

Not sure what I am going to get done this week, nothing tonight, thats for sure...I am going to make up some unknowns for the IMAC Sequence committee, though. Proposals are already under way for 2008, they looking good,too!

I am going to shoot for the rudder cables to get done, throttle servo located and installed, all batteries installed and wires routed. Engine mounted and cannisters in for good...I think thats all I am going to do to myself this week, being out in a garage in 90 something degree heat is tiring...more to come.

Joe
Old 08-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by prizzy
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

Joe, you are doing an excellent job! I don't know if I missed it somewhere, but how much does you plane weight? I notice the 150 pulls it well, even on double upline snaps. Would you consider a 170 in the plane down the road? Maybe help with balancing, and add a TON of power. Anyway, I got that comp arf, and I don't think I can go back to wood. I would like to take a few laps with your girl next time we see each other. Good job on build.
prizzy is offline Find More Posts by prizzy
Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

Hey Pride,

Sorry for the late reply..just been real busy with everyday issues that life brings to the plate. I had not weighed the plane, but was informed by John Glezellis that it was teedering back in forth between 39.5 to 40 lbs.

On the second question regarding the 170...yes..I would put the 170 in. The new DA is rumored to be a tad lighter than the 150...so it would be perfect fo rthis plane...as far as CG goes...mine required the dead weight up front to balance with 4 servos in the tail...remove two of those servos and all hardware is 8oz...totally eliminating the 12 oz of dead weight on the nose...which is what I did on the new one. As soon as DA releases the 170, you can bet I will have one!

You are more than welcomed to fly the plane. Just let me know, I know things got hairy towards the end at Triple Tree...hot, late, etc...and I apologize for bolting out like I did, I was just sooooo exausted.

Next contest, the day before, come on and fly the plane!

The maiden flight should be this weekend, I will update later tonight.

Joe
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

Thought I would update with some pics...All that is left on the plane is mounting the wheels and pants, tailwheel steering. I just cant bring myself to go out in a muggy garage at 9:15 at night...so I will hit this tomorrow after work. I have more pics to upload, but will do that when the plane is complete, I have just been putting off these pics long enough...so here they are!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,017 Posts

The shots above was taken of the Duralite Li-Manganese batteries installed underneath the top of the fuse.

The next few are just some shots of the inside..Thr tray consists of 2ea 5955TG and one 8711...after reading the info on Duralites website rergarding the power hungry 8711... I decided to only run 7ea 8711 servos...I may eventually even take out the one 8711 in the tray and run another 5955TG...those servos are fantastic on speed strength and centering.

Quick Reply