Old 03-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom View Post
Ok. I was only wondering because it seems stupid to fill back through the filter that just filtered out any crap that was in the gas. I filter when it comes out of my gas can, but anyway....
You can run a filter between the t and the engine and get rid of the filter in the tank.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Extreme Flight, DA, JR. (:
Molalla, OR.
Joined May 2010
1,187 Posts
I just wanted to announce that I found a new possible source for water bottles; usplastic.com. They have some pretty good ones and I recently ordered a couple different types. When they arrive I'll test them and report back if they're good to use or not. The sizes that would be practical for most of us (that they offer) are 16 and 32 OZ. They're dirt cheap but the shipping may cost a bit.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Mainer_Jim
Master Aerobat
United States, WA, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
AS far as pumping fuel in, I always reverse the pump for a quick second at the end of a fill, to remove anything I might have pumped against the filter. MOST of my installs, however, have the fill line going through a Tee halfway between the tank and the carb. Between the Tee and the carb is where I keep my aircraft fuel filter. I also use a filter between the fuel can and the fill-dot. Keeping junk out of your fuel system is a must-do, and I'm amazed at how few people actually pay strict attention to that. And they wonder why their engines develop problems. With a 400-dollar gasser, or a 400-dollar 4-stroke, I think 10 bucks a year is money well-spent for a good fuel filter. I also am very careful at how I handle the ends of the fuel lines from the fuel can. Dropping them in the dirt over and over will get your fuel can's botom covered with dirt before long.
~ Jim ~
Mainer_Jim is offline Find More Posts by Mainer_Jim
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
It doesn't hurt to put a filter in the vent line as well. After all, it hangs down sucking in air near the ground when taking off and landing.
ghoffman is online now Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by divad
What was that?
USA, OR, Forest Grove
Joined Mar 2010
323 Posts
Has anyone ever done dual smoke oil bottles with a Sullivan Skywriter? I'm thinking of putting in (2) 20 oz coke bottles.
divad is offline Find More Posts by divad
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Does anyone have a reccommendation for a fairly cheap manual fuel pump that you guys use on your gas jugs? I used to use the crappy Hobbico electric ones on glow fuel, but the gears always failed after a season of use, and I wouldn't use those electric ones on gas anyway. When I went gas, I started using the MPI manual pumps on my gasoline jugs, and while they're very durable and seem to be lasting, the gear ratios are WAY too low!!! To fill up my 24oz on the 55cc, it's exactly 200 turns. On my 100cc 34oz Fiji bottle, it's over 300 turns to fill it, taking nearly 4 minutes of fast cranking making my arm want to fall off, lol. I know there are electric gas safe pumps, but they're $$$.

What do you guys use for the larger gassers?!
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
The six shooter is a good option if you want a manual one. I use the Sig Gas Passer and it works great. I power it with a small 6V motorcycle type battery that I got at my local battery store. I have had it for 3 seasons now and zero issues with it.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/fuel/flpmp.htm
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,059 Posts
Hey Divad,

Where did you get that cool SWB fuel tank???

That's cool!

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by divad
What was that?
USA, OR, Forest Grove
Joined Mar 2010
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgood View Post
Hey Divad,

Where did you get that cool SWB fuel tank???

That's cool!

Ronster
Thanks Ronster!
Believe it or not, but you can get fuel tanks just like the one in my plane, at Safeway
Just ask any clerk which isle the fuel tanks are in. They have a large assortment and will even know which tank fits your plane!! (Plumbing & stoppers not included)
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by divad
What was that?
USA, OR, Forest Grove
Joined Mar 2010
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganwp View Post
Does anyone have a reccommendation for a fairly cheap manual fuel pump that you guys use on your gas jugs? I used to use the crappy Hobbico electric ones on glow fuel, but the gears always failed after a season of use, and I wouldn't use those electric ones on gas anyway. When I went gas, I started using the MPI manual pumps on my gasoline jugs, and while they're very durable and seem to be lasting, the gear ratios are WAY too low!!! To fill up my 24oz on the 55cc, it's exactly 200 turns. On my 100cc 34oz Fiji bottle, it's over 300 turns to fill it, taking nearly 4 minutes of fast cranking making my arm want to fall off, lol. I know there are electric gas safe pumps, but they're $$$.

What do you guys use for the larger gassers?!
I use an MPI (Gas & Glow) mounted to the side of my can. Have had it for several years, no problems. About 200 cranks to fill 50oz.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by Eganwp
Jesus saves!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2009
1,025 Posts
Weird... I wonder why yours is geared higher than mine. I have the exact same one. I've even had two of them, and they both have exactly the same gearing. 200 turns on 24oz, over 300 turns on 34oz... I'm all shaky on my right hand by the time I go to fly it from fatigue! lol. I'd be toast if I had to fill a smoke tank as well.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts
This is what i use and it has never had an issue.
I use x2 A123 batts to give it 12v's and they last over a month before i need recharging.
I brought a three way switch for reversing as well as filling. mounted it to an aluminium tray i made that hangs on the neck of my bottle.

Easy quick and effective.
Just dont charge the batts while it is on the bottle!
http://shop.desertaircraft.com.au/catalogue/c81/p93
Bam Bam is offline Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts
Oh yeah, i always just used a hand cranker, but with the 2 ltr tank i use for the mintor 220cc, i could not fly for at least5 mins after filling up as my body would just about seize up from all the cranking!
Bam Bam is offline Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by f5air
Fly it....fly it.
Joined Jun 2009
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divad View Post
I use an MPI (Gas & Glow) mounted to the side of my can. Have had it for several years, no problems. About 200 cranks to fill 50oz.
2 friends of mine has MPI and works ok, i got tired to cranks about 120 times to fill my 50cc thank and about 200 on my 100cc so got a electric pump from greylor.
f5air is offline Find More Posts by f5air
Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by divad
What was that?
USA, OR, Forest Grove
Joined Mar 2010
323 Posts
If you have a hand cranker do like I do. Have your pit crew do the filling
If nobody's willing to help, then fill it up yourself, check your batteries, go to the bathroom (I always have to take a leak right when I take off) do a pre-flight (check cowl bolts, canopy screws, rudder cables) make sure the plane is airworthy! By now you should be good to go do some serious "Huckin" or get that sequence dialed in.
After you do this enough times you'll find that you can take shorter rest periods between flights. (LOL)

Quick Reply