logo
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by norsman
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Discussion
Fueling

What are you guys useing to fuel your gassers,I've gone through a few hand pumps and just bought a new Dave Brown six shooter and that sucks.Well actualy in dont thats the problem,I dont no if I got the lemon or what.It turns tight and no suction,I even put like 3 in tubing on it from cup to plane hose and nothing I call them and they were like your useing to much hose ,thats when I short'en it way up and still crap.What other kinds of fuelers are out there,thats foe any info
norsman is offline Find More Posts by norsman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
just a cheap hand crank fuel pump from Prolux. If it breaks, I replace it with another. Problem is its outlasted three electric fuel pumps already so....
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by Capt Cash
United States, TX, Lewisville
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
I got the Slimline M4 system a few years ago and it has worked great. I think it was about $50 at the time. And if the pump ever fails I believe it will still accept other replacement brands on the tank mount. Best part is, I store it in the cab of my truck on the way to the field with ZERO gas fumes/smell! Takes a little while to crank the gas in, but always reliable.

http://www.slimlineproducts.com/pk4/...ew_product=142
Capt Cash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Cash
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by norsman
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Where can you get those Prolux's in the states.Every one I found is in china ?????
norsman is offline Find More Posts by norsman
Old 04-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
I use this one:
http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=321

Can't beat it, but not cheap! You can source the parts and build your own; I'll do that if I ever need another.

Another option is to install a Shrader valve on your tank and pressurize it with a bike pump.
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
just a cheap hand crank fuel pump from Prolux. If it breaks, I replace it with another. Problem is its outlasted three electric fuel pumps already so....
I use the standard hand cranked ones you can get from Horizon or Tower. The one I'm currently using has lasted for years and seems to outlast the variety of electric ones I have seen at the field. I just keep a new spare around but so far I have not needed it. I use the same pump on my glo fuel setups too so one spare covers everything. Works good, lasts long time!
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by Low_Cal
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Dec 2009
2,624 Posts
Glo fuel? What the heck is that? Something for night flying, so you can see the exhaust?
Low_Cal is offline Find More Posts by Low_Cal
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by FHHuber
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,007 Posts
Six Shooter gas version they use a stiff tubing inside... and that makes it annoying. If the tubing wasn't so stiff it would be great.

I'm looking for a softer gasoline rated tubing for mine because I like the Six Shooter.

The pump I'm using now is by MPI. Works OK, but it tends to need help getting the flow started.
FHHuber is offline Find More Posts by FHHuber
Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_Cal View Post
Glo fuel? What the heck is that? Something for night flying, so you can see the exhaust?
I know, I know ..... sorry I brought it up. I still fly glo powered helis.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsman View Post
Where can you get those Prolux's in the states.Every one I found is in china ?????
Its sold under various brand names. Tower calls it "Hand Crank Fuel Pump" product code TE1038.
Its $10.49 if you're a TowerSUper Saver club member.

I have one for glow fuel, one for Gasoline. I've been through 3 electrics and those just on and on. Takes a bit longer to fill a tank but at a Rc airfield its the only exercise I get.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
Six shooter is deffinately a piece of crap,Huber,if you want a spare gimme your address I'll send you mine.Takes friggin forever to fill my tank,about a teaspoon full of gas with each crank,and forget about using it in winter.
I have 2 of those cheapies you get from tower,my glow fuel one has lasted 9 years,and so far my gas one has lasted 6 years,takes about 10 seconds to fill my 50cc tanks.
Jeff Sikes
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
I use the standard hand cranked ones you can get from Horizon or Tower. The one I'm currently using has lasted for years and seems to outlast the variety of electric ones I have seen at the field. I just keep a new spare around but so far I have not needed it. I use the same pump on my glo fuel setups too so one spare covers everything. Works good, lasts long time!
Yep, there ya go. I use an MPI hand crank for gas. Simple, reliable, cheap and no batteries..
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts
Yup! The MPI hand crank that came with my Jersey Fueler has been working flawlessly for 3 seasons.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by js/rc
United States, OH, Conneaut
Joined Sep 2008
988 Posts
Yeah, Dave Brown 6 shooter is junk & found that out with glow years ago !! Also, I noticed when I first got into gas, some years back, that the MPI gas hand crank took about double the cranks to fill a tank as compared to the Dubro hand crank I got later.
Thanks, John
js/rc is offline Find More Posts by js/rc
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Cash View Post
I got the Slimline M4 system a few years ago and it has worked great. I think it was about $50 at the time. And if the pump ever fails I believe it will still accept other replacement brands on the tank mount. Best part is, I store it in the cab of my truck on the way to the field with ZERO gas fumes/smell! Takes a little while to crank the gas in, but always reliable.

http://www.slimlineproducts.com/pk4/...ew_product=142
++++1
What I like about the M4 is that there are no fittings on the plastic jug at all. All fuel connections and the mount for the fuel pump are on the machined aluminum cap assembly, rather than molded into the plastic jug. In fact I like it so much, I'm tempted to get another for glow fuel, I'll just have to change out the lines and shrink a band of blue Ultracote around the side of the Blitz jug to identify the one with the glow juice. I know they make a glow fuel version to go on the gallon bottle, but the low profile Blitz jug is so much easier to handle than the normal gallon jug, and it protects the fuel from exposure to light. The crank pumps are so easy to get from almost any LHS or on line source, currently I have one from Hangar 9. They're cheap, quick to swap out, and if you use gas and glow fuel, one spare on hand will cover you for both.
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete

Quick Reply