logo
Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by eagle1
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts
Re: Composite-ARF Extra 260 3m Build

I am using cans the shorties from comp.where do you have the batteries?
I cut and installed the baffle plate in tonight, did not get anything else done.
eagle1 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

nevermind I found them
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

recieved the 2" double FUTABA servo arms in today, I trimmed one side off and rounded the edges to make them look better, i wish they would make them in red to match but I can always put a little paint on them, after that I mounted them to the servos then mounted the servo trays into the wings, trimmed the outer sheeting to get the arms to go through, made the slots about 5 to 6 mm wide and about 3 1/2" long. Wings are now 99% done all thats left on them is to center the servos and adjust, mounted the 2 1/2 turnbuckles and ball links. It will be cutting it close to have it ready this weekend, depending on how much I can get done in the next 3 days but I just don't see it happening. But for sure it will be ready by next weekend.
So does everyone think I should run just one elev. servo per half???
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Find More Posts by excelpoint
Mother Hucker +
australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
So does everyone think I should run just one elev. servo per half???
100% Yes. You do not need two for each stab. There is about 10-15 Comp ARF 260's that are running around our IMAC comps and none that I know of are running two per half, this includes last years unlimited Tuscon winner who also uses it for his freestyle
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

thanks exel thats all I needed and I will do away with the outside servos, by using one per half should help with the balance problems that everyone is talking about.
Unless I can get rid of this bloomin headache I will not get anything done to the plane today. so this means that I will have to wait until next weekend to watch it fly.
have you used yours for 3-d?? how does it do with just one servo and 1.5 servo arms???
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
The good, the bad and the IMAC
United States, CA, Homeland
Joined Jan 2006
819 Posts

My Son flys 3d all the time with his 260. We both have 260's and use just 1 8711 per elevator half. Here's a few pictures of him flying.

Name: DSC00030.jpg
Views: 237
Size: 236.2 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00040.JPG
Views: 264
Size: 147.4 KB
Description:

Name: DSC00042.JPG
Views: 237
Size: 135.5 KB
Description:
lazyboyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
Old 02-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by excelpoint
Mother Hucker +
australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
thanks exel thats all I needed and I will do away with the outside servos, by using one per half should help with the balance problems that everyone is talking about.
Unless I can get rid of this bloomin headache I will not get anything done to the plane today. so this means that I will have to wait until next weekend to watch it fly.
have you used yours for 3-d?? how does it do with just one servo and 1.5 servo arms???
Yes Ive used mine for 3D but with 1.25" arms with no probs. I.5" should be fine.
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by Extra260
Durango Colorado
Joined Feb 2006
1,964 Posts

You might also want to buy the carbon tube for the tail from desert aircraft, it is 25$. It is 19.5mm wide. This would help with the cg alot.
Extra260 is offline Find More Posts by Extra260
Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

what about the aluminum hinges for the elevators? what is everyone doing about these?
Now gack to the build, I drew out a pattern on a sheet of 1/8" ply, cut the pattern out, I changed my mind on how to install the smoke tank after I looked at the original pattern on the ply, I was going to mount the tray on the floor but I decided to hang it from the wing tube so don't mind what is drawn on the ply,after building the tray assembly onto the tube I mixed up some resin then glassed the inside joint on the tray and to the tube, that was done yesterday, today I installed the brass and clunk into the 32 oz smoke tank, then I made up the throttle servo tray then spent about 2 hours thinking of where to install the thing so I decided on in front of the fuel tank tray, cut the overhang off the tank tray base that was protruding in front of the tank stop, painted the servo tray black then mixed up some 30 min epoxy then glued the tray to the tray. next I have to drill a hole in the center of the firewall to accept the smoke fuel lines, I have drilled the hole in the firewall for the golden rod I will use for the throttle cable a little big, as soon as the epoxy dries I will make a support for the outer sheath and glass that to the uderside of the front deck, I will use the smoke pump,switches, batteries, and regulators for the balancing procedure, I also have to remove the outer servos from the elvator.I also fixed ply to the outside of the motordome where I drilled the cowl mounting holes in the dimples istead of top or bottom of them.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

after the epoxy dried I taped the bottom of the fuse and worked out how big to make the holes, if my math is right I should have about 44 square inches of exit space for the hot air to exit the fuse, I made a template from 1/32" ply, 2 15/16" long X 1 1/2" wide. I used a mill bit in my drimel tool to rough cut the holes, I did not like the way the tape would try to come off the plane while I was cutting the holes so I stayed inside the marks by 1/16" then pealed the tape off, finished the final shape with a homemade sanding block made with 1/8" ply with a strip of self adhesive sand paper( the kind you get for T-bar sanders from greatplanes) then used the roll of sand paper to get the radius just right. I cut a total of six holes, do you think one of you mathmatical geniuses could figure if this is enough for hot air to excape?
After that I drilled a 17/64" hole in the center of the firewall for the smoke tubing then conncted the hose to the headers. I will put some clamps on over the smoke lines because I know that they will get hot and melt the line, I need to find a welder who can weld some steel 1/8" tubing where I have the short fuel fittings or find some longer fittings.
I will get both tanks zip tied into thier trays then try to get the bird balanced tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

math was wrong should have just under 16 square inches.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

Ok folks, I have put the plane on the balancer and this is what I come up with at 99mm, my plane came out nose heavy right of the table with no switches,batteries or regulators, having everyone say that it would most likely come out tail heavy had me worried but it made me more worried after setting it on the balance point that I would have to put the batteries behind the canopy bulkhead but I moved things around to get a good idea where it would balance at 99mm at the tip from the leading edge. so now that all is left is to mount the batteries,regs,smoke pump,switches, and set the radio up and centering all the servos doing the final adjustments, then balance the plane laterally. here is some pictures of the balancing system I use in action and where everything will be placed.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Extra260
Durango Colorado
Joined Feb 2006
1,964 Posts

99 mm is tail heavy. the plane is said to not lock in at this cg. My plane also balances at 100 mm and I am still trying to get the cg forward.
Extra260 is offline Find More Posts by Extra260
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

what do you mean lock?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 PM