Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by Mustang Man
Brush Whacker
United States, TX, Commerce
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Build Log
Aeroworks Cub S2 50cc

I just purchased a new Aeroworks Sport Cub S2 50 cc for a summer project to build while it is too hot to fly here in East Texas. I have built several Aeroworks quick build ARFs & really like the way they go together. The AW assembly time for me is not realistic as I like to take my time and fuss over little details that lengthens the assembly time suggested by AW. So I will try to keep a log of my time spent but there is no promise it will be accurate.

So far I have unpacked the cub. The first thing I do is to note how the plane was packed in the unlikely event I find problems that would require returning a model that is not up to par. This has only happened once, but saving all the boxes, packing, and noting how the model was packed is essential in the event a return is necessary.

Arfs should not normally require user modifications to make things fit, but sometimes it is necessary and expedient if the mods are not significant.

Before I do anything on the build I have done the following:

1. Place the fuse, wings, stabs, and control surfaces on a table that has a towel underneath and take extreme care not to dink the model while I inspect.

2. Look at the construction for such things as quality of wood use, loose glue joints, alignment of the cowl with the blind nuts, canopy alignment.

3. Test fit the wings, and stabs to the fuse. Note if the wing tube fits too tight or loose, and stab tube.

4. Check all the control surfaces to see they deflect the number of degrees specified in the manual. Especially the rudder!

Once the inspection is complete and there are problems, can they easily be fixed by you? If not time to contact the supplier for recommendations.

Depending on the problems, if the supplier recommends modifications to the ARF to fix problems that are present, one has to make a decision whether the modifications are within the builder's capability and the builder is willing to take on the effort.

Warning, once you start making modifications even if the supplier recommends a fix, you own the plane. So do not go down that road unless you are certain you can fix everything you may find wrong.
Mustang Man is offline Find More Posts by Mustang Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Initial Inspection Pictures of AW 50cc Cub

I have previously read over the entire AW Cub build manual and made a detail list of all the items I needed. Items I did not have already were ordered and will be arriving next week.

The following pictures were taken during the initial inspection of the Cub.

Picture 1: AW Cub box when first opened.
Picture 2: Nose of Fuselage, note the left aluminum tube at the top glue came loose, easy repair.
Picture 3: Wings fitted on wing tube. The original wing tube fit too tight so I replaced the tube with another wing tube from a previously deceased AW 50cc model that fit better. I had to cut about 1/4" off the replacement wing tube as it was a little too long.
Picture 4: With cowl set on the front. I noticed that 3 of the 4 blind nuts did not align, so I plan to remove those blind nuts, plug the hole with wood, and then redrill. The blind nuts were not glued in and will be easy to remove and reinstall.

Inventory of major items in the box was made; however, I do not take the time to inventory every nut, bolt, and piece of hardware.

I so far have not noticed any significant problems with the model except the cowl yellow color does not match the color of the ultracote...it is somewhat darker. Not a deal killer for me.

So the first business is to remove the canopy and then shrink the covering that is loose. Heat must not be near the plastic windows on the side of the fuselage or they could bubble per the instructions in the manual.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
That is going to be a beautiful airplane! I hope the build goes smoothly for you.

Beware- I have a friend or two with some experience with this airframe- don't get too slow, or jerky with the elevator inputs. I've heard they can snap out on you if you're not careful. Otherwise, it's a pussycat!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 08-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Funboy: Thanks for the tips and good wishes. I got the wrinkles out tonight and test fitted the horizontal stab and elevators. I had to use 2 shorter bolts on the "L" brackets, but it fits good. I am looking forward to the maiden.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
i have one and i can tell you right now a da 50 is way too much motor for this plane. iam using a mintor 38 and it flys quite nice. do your self a favor and save some money. the build is right on, everything fits like a glove i just wish rocco would have made the cowl more scale like. that is the only part i dont like and i dont think the real super cub has counterweighted elevators either.
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 AM
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
you will like the way this plane flys and check out the dubro tundra wheels and tires. they will add to the looks to this. i just saw them in this months issue of the ama rag. i havent ordered them yet. but i will
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Rede2fly: I was concerned the DA50 would be a lot of motor for the AW Cub, but I already have a DA50. If it doesn't work out then I will downsize later. I don't think the orginal Cub J3 had counter weights either, but not being a Cub expert I don't know. Perhaps this one was modified by AW for some reason. I have seen other "scale" planes kits have cowls that were not scale. I am like you, I want it to be scale; however, some airframes do not fly so well when they are actually scale and modler manufacturers take liberties to improve flying characteristics.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
I ordered the Tundra tires Friday from Horizon and they will be here next week. They were cheaper from HH and I had to order some other stuff with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:43 AM
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
mustang please post a pic of the tundra tires. they are next on my list yea the da50 is way too much . that is what was on mine at first. but not anymore. what size did you get ???? tires i mean
Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
I ordered the 6" tundra tires. My plan is to do Short Take Off & Landings and practice landings with and without flaps. How does your do on short landings. I will post pictures when they come in.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by Magneto
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2011
45 Posts
The cowl looks scale enough to me. After all, it's modeled after the Cubcrafters S2, not the Piper Super Cub.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/sportcubs2/

Steve
Magneto is offline Find More Posts by Magneto
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Steve: Thanks for the input. I don't know the history of the Piper Cubs except the first ones were around 1947, if you could post any additional information I think it would be interesting.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
I plan to use the following equipment on the build of this Cub:

-DA 50 with a Slimline Pitts muffler, Mejzlik 23x8 propeller
-AR9000 Receiver
-1 Duralite LIFEPO 3800maH battery
-Tru Turn Silver Spinner
-Dubro 6" Tundra Tires
- 7 JR 8611a Servos (I know it is over kill but I had them already)
-1 JR DS821 for Throttle
-Smart Fly Optical Kill Switch
-AW JEM Fuel Dot
-JR NIMH Battery NIMH for ignition
-JR Chargeswitch for the NIMH
-2 Hangar 9 Gold Fuel Filers, one between engine and T, one for vent line of tank to keep out dust
-DA 2.5" Aluminum Standoffs
-JR HD Gold Servo Extensions.

Each control surface will be on a separate channel.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by ritchie_rich
ohio
Joined Sep 2006
165 Posts
just sold mine a couple of weeks ago had it for 3 seasons, started with the 4" wheels that came with plane changed out to 6" dubro tundra tires ground handing was much improved.

Rick
ritchie_rich is offline Find More Posts by ritchie_rich
Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Brush Whacker
Joined Oct 2008
488 Posts
Rick: Good to know that, I definately will use the Tundra 6" tires.

Quick Reply