logo
Old 01-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by Rainman
Rainman
Bonney Lake, WA.
Joined Apr 2007
979 Posts
NW IMAC Competition Thread

Welcome everyone, my name is Mike Raines, alias The Rainman, and as CD for the 2008 51st anniversary of the Polar Bear, I would like to extend a warm invitation and thank you to all the flyers that make the huge effort to make this first, early season contest a success. Last year we were blessed with beautiful weather and we had a blast! Great weather is wonderful, but the flyers, the hearty competition and opportunity to hear the 'big tale,' for me, is the best.

We are going to have an awesome representation this year. Our brothers from Canada will be here, as well as flyers from Oregon, Idaho and maybe even California. Please put this event on your calendars and come join us for allot of laughs, some passionate flying and "tall tales!"

We will fly this icebreaker contest in Olympia this year due to field construction at the Ram Field, in Sumner. Hence, another blessing.... the field in Olympia is beautiful, the view is magnificient and there is plenty of room for your 5th wheel or camper, toyhauler, etc. There is easy access from I-5.

I encourage you to register early, the more.... the merrier. I look forward to seeing all of you there. The 1st contest of the year is important. Thank you, and don't miss this terrifically fun time!!!

Rainman
Rainman is offline Find More Posts by Rainman
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by momo
Mad Max's Baby Mama
The OC
Joined Jan 2006
1,647 Posts
Re: 2008 Polar Bear, Invitation, Kickoff Discussion

Rainman, what are the dates of the event?
momo is offline Find More Posts by momo
Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Rainman
Bonney Lake, WA.
Joined Apr 2007
979 Posts

April 19th and 20th. Can you make it?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Hi Mike, I just joined IMAC this year and am considering flying in basic for the first time. The weather is not cooperating however so I'm having a lot of trouble getting any practice in. Hope to start practicing the sequence on a sim this week and maybe get my 30% Aviation Models Extra 260 out one of these weekends so I can try it for real. If I feel comfortable enough I'll be there. Probably be a pain in the butt asking questions, haven't got a clue what to do, but I'll be there.

Al Lewis
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Hoquiam,Wa. USA
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts

Al: Welcome to world of IMAC, don't think that you have to be world class at flying to try it for the first time. most people that you ask will say that there first Imac sucked on their scores but the fellow pilots that helped and the good fun was worth it in the end. the Polar Bear will be at the Olympia Field and will be CD'd by Mike and myself so if you need help you can email me or Mike and maybe come down for some flying before the contest if the weather will allow. our field is open to anyone that wants to come by and fly, just let me know. Rick
Rick Sowell is offline Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Thanks a million Rick. Good thing on the flying. My spinnie thingys aren't bad but my rolly thingys need improvement! LOL I think my biggest problem will be just getting organized and knowing what to do when. One rule I read says you fly the routine twice non-stop and another says you fly it once and then again latter. We have another guy in the club that flew last year and I believe will fly again this year so I'll be talking with him Terry Hubbard, Mike Carrerio and Kyle extensively. They should be able to get me straight on things. I really do appreciate the offer to fly with you guys and of course you guys are more then welcome to fly with us. Just learn to dodge a lot of really big trees! LOL Hope to see you guys soon.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts

Al,

Take off, fly the sequence twice, land. Practice flying the sequence in each direction (you hould have a "B" sheet and a "C" sheet, same stuff, just flown with the wind in opposite directions). You'll fly again later in the day.
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Rainman
Bonney Lake, WA.
Joined Apr 2007
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lewis View Post
Hi Mike, I just joined IMAC this year and am considering flying in basic for the first time. The weather is not cooperating however so I'm having a lot of trouble getting any practice in. Hope to start practicing the sequence on a sim this week and maybe get my 30% Aviation Models Extra 260 out one of these weekends so I can try it for real. If I feel comfortable enough I'll be there. Probably be a pain in the butt asking questions, haven't got a clue what to do, but I'll be there.

Al Lewis
Hi Al, it'll be great to have you. For me, the best attributes IMAC offers are the Pilots. You will have plenty of support. As far as the sequence goes, no problem either, it's all only about having a good time. Just look at it as another day on the field, and like Dan say's, learn to fly either direction. Another really fun part of IMAC is getting the opportunity to fly in new places. Olympia is a beautiful, in the country field.

You are gonna love your plane. I have been blessed with a wife who has allowed me to crash and replace ....probably seven of them from 30 too 35%. Let me just say, that takes allot of sweet talkin! There is nothing like learning the hard way!!!

One more thing, please ask all the questions you can think of. You have a great group of guys to fly with, they'll know most of the answers. Will you be flying freestyle? I am only asking this question because you practice with Kyle? Mike C. has, and look what happened to him, he's a freestyle machine, and a ...... fairly good snow boarder . See you soon Al.

Rainman
Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

No freestyle, like most people I just sit and watch Kyle in amazement. LOL
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Can you go lower?
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Sep 2006
682 Posts

Cant we have a contest now? I am reading all these other guys posts. In SanDiago they have one next month. In AZ they flew a couple weeks ago. What about that? We call it the PolarBear. We should be competing now to make it a real Polarbear.
Why we gotta wait?
Its not fair. Wa!!
dqman40rock is offline Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Old 02-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Can you go lower?
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Sep 2006
682 Posts

Listen to me. A couple years ago trying to get me to fly in an IMAC contest was something only a car salesman could pull off. Now I'm whinning that I cant fly in one in the winter.
Al,
Dont start down this road. You will become a lunitic like me. Like Mike.
dqman40rock is offline Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Trust me, if I can't get some serious air time I'll be spectating. LOL I have to practice at 200' + because of the trees at our field. Never flew below that altitude except to land!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts

Darren,

So does this mean you'll start the first Northwest IMAC winter challenge for next February? I can see it now, Darren Kuhn, Contest Director......!

Chilly-IMAC anyone?

A few canopies, hot coffee and a break in the weather, and we're flyin'!
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Rainman
Bonney Lake, WA.
Joined Apr 2007
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lewis View Post
Trust me, if I can't get some serious air time I'll be spectating. LOL I have to practice at 200' + because of the trees at our field. Never flew below that altitude except to land!
No speculating Al, just show up and fly. We're all in the same boat. Besides, if you practice with Kyle and his buddies, then you are probably sandbagging! You, most likely, fly awesome. At the very least, you'll have a blast!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Rainman
Bonney Lake, WA.
Joined Apr 2007
979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqman40rock View Post
Listen to me. A couple years ago trying to get me to fly in an IMAC contest was something only a car salesman could pull off. Now I'm whinning that I cant fly in one in the winter.
Al,
Dont start down this road. You will become a lunitic like me. Like Mike.
Allright Darrin, now I'M gonna go get my boots...

Quick Reply