logo
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
What's the bottom line here? Is my 11x soon to be outdated, bypassed by newer technology and un-upgradable?
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Do I need to be looking elsewhere for a new tx?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
What's the bottom line here?
JR is no longer relying on the Spektrum protocols

Is my 11x soon to be outdated, bypassed by newer technology
It already is

and un-upgradable?
software will be upgradable but I believe dmss conversion would take a bit more work...time will tell

I'm just a Futaba guy though
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts
Phil,
Your 11X is as great as it always has been. Go ahead and keep enjoying it, no need to look for a new radio system.

It is the future that is unclear. If you didn't already own the 11X, I would be advising you to hold off for now.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Tks Steven..
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by wings19
3D Heli Turned IMAC
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined May 2006
293 Posts
What am I missing here? I thought the 11X I have was a JR radio? The posts prior to this lead me to believe HH uses a lesser model?

Can someone straighten me out on this? What is the difference between regular JR and the JR I buy from HH? I thought it was the same thing.
wings19 is offline Find More Posts by wings19
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dysfunctional
Joined Aug 2010
126 Posts
It looks like JR is offering to it's Japanese market an upgrade path for the 11X Zero, providing DMSS technology through a Tx hardware module, and a software update. (See link below) There is hope for other markets like the US for such an upgrade to the 11X in the future.

Although this will get an 11X Zero to DMSS with telemetry, when the upgrade is done on PCM 12X and 9X radios, it does not allow these upgraded radios telemetry. We will have to wait and see if telemetry will be available if an upgrade is offered for the HH 11X.

Another problem is the cost involved. Since DMSS and DMX are not compatible, any model to be used with a DMSS upgraded 11X Tx will need a new receiver. While I'm not sure the cost of the Tx module required, I do know that an 8 channel DMSS Rx is $148 (ouch) , and an 11 channel $235 (yikes). Pricing on 4 and 6 channels is not known as yet, but you can get an idea from these. And what about bind-n-fly fleets? They will continue to need a DMS radio, so owners with substantial investments in those will need two radios.

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/pro...le/tg24xp.html
3Dysfunctional is offline Find More Posts by 3Dysfunctional
Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dysfunctional View Post
It looks like JR is offering to it's Japanese market an upgrade path for the 11X Zero, providing DMSS technology through a Tx hardware module, and a software update. (See link below) There is hope for other markets like the US for such an upgrade to the 11X in the future.

Although this will get an 11X Zero to DMSS with telemetry, when the upgrade is done on PCM 12X and 9X radios, it does not allow these upgraded radios telemetry. We will have to wait and see if telemetry will be available if an upgrade is offered for the HH 11X.

Another problem is the cost involved. Since DMSS and DMX are not compatible, any model to be used with a DMSS upgraded 11X Tx will need a new receiver. While I'm not sure the cost of the Tx module required, I do know that an 8 channel DMSS Rx is $148 (ouch) , and an 11 channel $235 (yikes). Pricing on 4 and 6 channels is not known as yet, but you can get an idea from these. And what about bind-n-fly fleets? They will continue to need a DMS radio, so owners with substantial investments in those will need two radios.

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/pro...le/tg24xp.html

im sure once the release has been made, the prices will come down some. i wouldn't pay that much money for a non power safe receiver.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
The good, the bad and the IMAC
United States, CA, Homeland
Joined Jan 2006
819 Posts
Last weekend my 11x killed my 3m Comp-Arf extra 260 mid flight, it's like it just stopped transmitting. After my plane hit the ground, I looked down at my radio and the window read, " INFORMATION" " The last model data were not saved. " I have not called Horizon yet about the lost of my plane, I just have been too upset to deal with it. I will be calling them Tuesday.
lazyboyflyer is offline Find More Posts by lazyboyflyer
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by Royster
Queensland Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboyflyer View Post
Last weekend my 11x killed my 3m Comp-Arf extra 260 mid flight, it's like it just stopped transmitting. After my plane hit the ground, I looked down at my radio and the window read, " INFORMATION" " The last model data were not saved. " I have not called Horizon yet about the lost of my plane, I just have been too upset to deal with it. I will be calling them Tuesday.
Man I feel ya pain. I lost my 3M Comp ARF 260 a fortnight ago. Still feeling it today. Although I dont blame my 11X I have had a friend who also owns a new 3M 330SC Compy and his went off-line with his 11X lucky for him it came back in time to save the plane. He now flys a Futaba 12Z!
I looked at the 12Z but its beyond my budget and the lower range is just butt ugly. I have been looking and playing with the new XG11 and with the improved DMSS system and telemetry. I will probably be going that way in the next couple of weeks.
If money was plenty-full I would by an 18MZ but I think the ne XG11 is leap forward for JR
Royster is offline Find More Posts by Royster
Old 04-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboyflyer View Post
Thats not cool! I'll be curious to see what they have to say other than send it in. I'm still setting up my planes on my New 11X. So far only amout 50 flights on it and I like it, but I hate the thought of buying all new RXs for the next TX upgrade!
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts
Oh no Howard! I am so sorry to hear about your Comp-Arf. You can always borrow my ZN to fly until you can replace it.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by 3Dysfunctional
Joined Aug 2010
126 Posts
XG11

The new XG11 is sweet!
amongst other things already noted....
Digital trim on the throttle (option)
Spring toggle trainer switch where my 11X Mix switch is (thank you JR)
6 different stickers for switch assignment
Finally, a really really good operation manual
3Dysfunctional is offline Find More Posts by 3Dysfunctional
Old 04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
The North American 11X isn't module based so I doubt it will get DMSS unless they do a program similar to the DSMX upgrade where they replace the RF deck.

I'm sticking with what I have, I have too much wrapped up in DSMX/DSM2 recievers.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
The North American 11X isn't module based so I doubt it will get DMSS unless they do a program similar to the DSMX upgrade where they replace the RF deck.

I'm sticking with what I have, I have too much wrapped up in DSMX/DSM2 recievers.
Same here....

Quick Reply