Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > R/C Topics > Sailplane Talk
Forgot your password? Create a new account

View Poll Results: Use Std Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?
Use std Ultracote for the added durability. 1 50.00%
Use Ultracote Parklite for light weight & best performance. 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
SrTelemasterTyro
Who's Up 4 Strokin' It?

Default Use Std Ultracote or Ultracote Parklite for 2X4 Glider?

I'm building a small sailplane for my grandaughter.

49 1/2" wingspan, probably 4 channels (rudder, elevator & 2 channels for aileron diff) W/Hitec 05S micro RX & HS-55 servos. I am going to use 1 micro servo in each wingtip for aileron differential & whatever size Nmh battery pack in the nose that will balance it out.

I am considering using Ultracote Parklite for covering to keep weight down. It's spec'ed @ 28oz W/1983 era radio equipment (2 servos). The author quoted 10oz for his radio equipment.

Is the weight savings of the Ultracoat Parklite worth the diminished durability? A roll of standard Ultarcote wieghs about 3.6oz while the roll of Parklite weighs about .5 oz. Since I will use almost all of the roll on the plane, I can save nearly 3oz AUW by using the Parklite.
I figure that I can save about 8oz total W/the lighter batteries/radio equipment & covering.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
AEAJR
Thermal Hunter

The weight of the roll is only useful if they are exactly the same size rolls and have the same weight tube inside.

The weight savings are probably not worth the difference in durability.
AEAJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
rcpilot82
It's Sooo Fluffy!!

Quote: Originally Posted by SrTelemasterTyro
View Post
I'm building a small sailplane for my grandaughter.

49 1/2" wingspan, probably 4 channels (rudder, elevator & 2 channels for aileron diff) W/Hitec 05S micro RX & HS-55 servos. I am going to use 1 micro servo in each wingtip for aileron differential & whatever size Nmh battery pack in the nose that will balance it out.

I am considering using Ultracote Parklite for covering to keep weight down. It's spec'ed @ 28oz W/1983 era radio equipment (2 servos). The author quoted 10oz for his radio equipment.

Is the weight savings of the Ultracoat Parklite worth the diminished durability? A roll of standard Ultarcote wieghs about 3.6oz while the roll of Parklite weighs about .5 oz. Since I will use almost all of the roll on the plane, I can save nearly 3oz AUW by using the Parklite.
I figure that I can save about 8oz total W/the lighter batteries/radio equipment & covering.

Info gathereed from HH website:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...red-HANU866#t1
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...e-red-HANU0815

True red standard ultracoat = 0.30 oz/sq.ft.
True red parklite ultracoat = 1.07 oz/sq. YD (this equates to .119 oz/sq.ft.)
Based on using the whole roll, no waste (78"x23" or 12.458 sq. ft.) toal weights would be..

standard: 3.737 oz of material
parklite: 1.483 oz of material
savings would be 2.254 oz per roll

IMO since you are using standard equipment and it is for a child, I would use standard ultracoat for durability. That being said the thickness of the materials are different however I could not find data on standard ultracoat.

standard: Not listed?
parklite: 13 microns thickness

Laser Cutting & Engraving Services
From Prototype to Production
rcpilot82 is offline   Reply With Quote