logo
Old 08-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by Dnice
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Aug 2015
168 Posts
Discussion
Eq6 lost programming in flight!

So I'm flying my 35% pilot extra and I notice the ailerons are suddenly way out of trim. I get it on the ground and my ailerons are humming and 1/4" out of trim. I get home and find that both of the inside servos (close to the fuse) are off center. They were fighting the outer servos. I reprogrammed the centers and end points on all 4 wing servos. Now I'm not sure if I should trust it. Anybody experienced this before? What should I do? send it in?
Dnice is offline Find More Posts by Dnice
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-07-2016, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,203 Posts
Sounds like it reset. Don't know how it could without the proper inputs.
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old 08-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
I ran smartfly boards in the past with good success but in recent years have opted out.
I now use a 6.6v a123 through a switch and into a receiver and out to my servos. I have
two of these setups in each plane to split up the plane so if one side has a failure in any
component, I can still likely land on the other half. I have saved a few planes this way
in the last several years. I do all of my servo balancing from my transmitter thus I use a
good transmitter but save money not needing boards or matchboxes in every plane.
When I added up all those components, I could have already bought a great transmitter.
Remember, less components like matchboxes and boards means less points of failure and
having completely redundant sides in your plane will give you a fighting chance WHEN
a failure occurs.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 08-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi. Were the two inner servos the only ones you programmed? If not, there is no way to just loose programming on two servos. IF programming got lost, and I honestly can say I have never seen or heard anyone report this to me before, then all the programming would be lost. All programming is in the flash memory of the microcontroller. Part of the flash would have to erase for this to happen and I don't know how that could happen. I could use more information on this to determine what might have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnice View Post
So I'm flying my 35% pilot extra and I notice the ailerons are suddenly way out of trim. I get it on the ground and my ailerons are humming and 1/4" out of trim. I get home and find that both of the inside servos (close to the fuse) are off center. They were fighting the outer servos. I reprogrammed the centers and end points on all 4 wing servos. Now I'm not sure if I should trust it. Anybody experienced this before? What should I do? send it in?
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 08-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by rcfly
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2015
1,449 Posts
Curious, which brand/model servos throughout the plane? Which brand/model servo arms throughout the plane? Did you program all of the servos with the SmartFly? How soon after any programming adjustments to the smartfly did you fly? Any chance your radio model settings got changed or were flying on the wrong model? I've made every goof possible, myself. haha
rcfly is offline Find More Posts by rcfly
Old 08-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by Dnice
Joined Aug 2015
168 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. So I bought this plane used about 6 months ago and have been flying it frequently. The previous owner flew it with spectrum. I have a Futaba 9cap with 2.4 fasst module in it. When I got it and installed my receiver everything worked great so I didn't reprogram the eq6. The servos were quiet at center and endpoints, so I figure they were not fighting each other. I could also feel the slight gear slop when I wiggled a surface with ganged servos at center and endpoints( with the plane on of course). I also didnt need much subtrim because the linkages were mechanically adjusted correctly.
The plane has 5955tg in the wing and 7955 every where else. Swb arms. 2s pulse lipos, and a tech aero ibec. I pulled the smart fly optic kill out in lieu of The ibec. I haven't used a hitech programmer but the previous owner may have. After the aileron servos started fighting each other as I previously described I went through and programmed the center and endpoints for the servos on the wing on the eq6. That was the first time I touched the programming on the eq6, except to raise the servo voltage to 6.6.
So I flew the plane today and it happened again on the first flight. This time only one servo went off center. The servo closest to the fuse again. Maybe it's the servo because it's old but that's weird that two servos on the same flight going off center. I've never even heard of that happening. I've been flying this thing almost every weekend with no problems till now. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Straight huckin' !!
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,615 Posts
If the servos are old the potentiometers could be going bad. I've seen crazy reactions.

I saw some really bizarre behavior when the transmitter rudder channel pot starting wearing out.

Any pot wearing out anywhere is bad news for us.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
Last edited by Dean Bird; 08-07-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi, let me know if you find anything. As I mentioned, if the programming went bad any servo programmed should have gone off. I wrote this code and I honestly do not know how just a servo or two could have its programming change without affecting all the servos on the unit.

Quote:
After the aileron servos started fighting each other as I previously described I went through and programmed the center and endpoints for the servos on the wing on the eq6. That was the first time I touched the programming on the eq6, except to raise the servo voltage to 6.6.
So I flew the plane today and it happened again on the first flight. This time only one servo went off center. The servo closest to the fuse again. Maybe it's the servo because it's old but that's weird that two servos on the same flight going off center. I've never even heard of that happening. I've been flying this thing almost every weekend with no problems till now. Thanks for the help.
Site Sponsor
Old 08-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Dnice
Joined Aug 2015
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi, let me know if you find anything. As I mentioned, if the programming went bad any servo programmed should have gone off. I wrote this code and I honestly do not know how just a servo or two could have its programming change without affecting all the servos on the unit.
Ok since they're programable servos I'm going to match them with a hitech programmer and use a power expander. I'll fly it this weekend and let you guys know.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Dnice
Joined Aug 2015
168 Posts
I'm pretty sure I figured out what happened. The linkages on the ailerons failed. The titanium turn buckles had defective threads and pulled out of the ball links partially. The threads were not fully formed. I pulled them apart with pliers easily. So I replaced the linkages and reinstalled the eq6 and started from scratch. I apologize for jumping the gun and blaming the eq6. I'm going to fly it hard this weekend to be sure, but I think I found the smoking gun.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by rcfly
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2015
1,449 Posts
Nice work!
rcfly is offline Find More Posts by rcfly
Old 08-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Those are some pretty poor threads. You probably found your problem. Good catch.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 08-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, this happens to me all the time. You are in the majority, seems most people with a problem contact me first. 99% of the time we find some other reason for the issue as in this case. I really do appreciate you taking the time to post the solution, that way people who see the thread title and actually read the thread will see the resolution.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I figured out what happened. The linkages on the ailerons failed. The titanium turn buckles had defective threads and pulled out of the ball links partially. The threads were not fully formed. I pulled them apart with pliers easily. So I replaced the linkages and reinstalled the eq6 and started from scratch. I apologize for jumping the gun and blaming the eq6. I'm going to fly it hard this weekend to be sure, but I think I found the smoking gun.
Site Sponsor
Old 08-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by Dnice
Joined Aug 2015
168 Posts
I flew it on Saturday and the problem is gone. thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply