logo
Old 12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by harrys
planet earth
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
Super Tiger G2300 for F3A.

hi

I am building a F3A plane but for engine i cant afford a YS way too expensive for me.. for now i am planning to go with a Super tiger G-2300 with a pipe i need suggestions regarding this setup... which prop will be suitable for F3A pattern flying. i have never used a super tiger engine in past, or if better if any other engine that i can go for????
harrys is offline Find More Posts by harrys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by Andy Thomas
OK 1 Roll, No I Mean 2 Point
Farmington, MN
Joined Jan 2006
1,161 Posts
Re: Super Tiger G2300 for F3A.

Uni will have way more info for you, also check out the NSRCA website.
Andy Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Andy Thomas
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by toddblose
Don't Break Rule # 1
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2006
174 Posts

harrys,
There are alot of guys running the OS 160, inexpensive and works. They make a
header that is wrapped around the to the back so the pipe can go in the pipe bay.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0661&search=Go
toddblose is offline Find More Posts by toddblose
Old 12-15-2007, 01:38 AM
planet earth
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts

hi todd

ya even i was thinking for this option....
Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by decoy26
Displaced Missouri Boy!!!
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined May 2007
489 Posts

I have O.S. 160 in my Brio, yanks it around no problem. I run it with an aeroslave carbon tuned pipe. Very reliable.
decoy26 is offline Find More Posts by decoy26
Last edited by decoy26; 12-15-2007 at 02:40 AM. Reason: mis type
Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by Stu_D
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2006
1,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys View Post
hi

I am building a F3A plane but for engine i cant afford a YS way too expensive for me.. for now i am planning to go with a Super tiger G-2300 with a pipe i need suggestions regarding this setup... which prop will be suitable for F3A pattern flying. i have never used a super tiger engine in past, or if better if any other engine that i can go for????

I have flown this set up in a F3A plane and its pretty good . The guy was using an old RX 140 pipe with a custom made header (side to rear ) . make sure you use an OS F plug and a second head shim . There is also no need to go over 15% nitro either .

Stu
Stu_D is offline Find More Posts by Stu_D
Old 12-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by gdavis
Flyin' Around
USA
Joined May 2007
7 Posts

Harry

Based on my pesonal experience the OS 160 is the most economical/reliable way to go. The following is based on my personal setups. There are several things you must know. The engine will need a fuel pump and the Perry vp30 is an excellent choice....$29.99 at Tower. You will have to tap the back plate for a pressure fitting and tube that actuates the pump. Motor mount is a Hyde MKIII type C (reduces vibration and noise and does not require a nose ring) they are around $80.00 at Central Hobbies. I use a Karl Mueller header which are hand made and around $50.00 delivered to your door. Here is a link to his e-mail kgamueller@rogers.com . I use a Macs pipe #1092 they are around $135.00. I like the metal pipes better than the others for several reasons that I won't go into here as I dont wan't to defend that position here. I have tried countless props and found the APC 15-13W 3 blade to out perform all the others. The best info there is on this setup is my friend Bob Pastorello's website www.rcaerobats.net/ . You can really find anything you need there including pictures. Hope this helps.

Greg
gdavis is offline Find More Posts by gdavis
Old 12-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by aerobear
Sandy, UT
Joined May 2007
34 Posts

I used the Supertigre all this year in a Focus as a bare bones setup with no soft mount and no pump. I used a two ounce header tank mounted under the motor box. With the large bore carb the fuel draw is a little weak at the rpm we use in pattern. My pipe provides good strong muffler pressure but not enough for that big carb. In a sport plane at 10000 rpm the fuel draw is better but that is not the setup you want for pattern.

I ended up putting on the carb from the OS 160. It has a smaller bore giving more consistent fuel draw. You need a special adapter. I used a 17x10 prop. This keeps the rpm a little high which also gives better fuel draw. In the end it was a good running setup and I won some trophies.

The Tigre is a great engine with a poor carb. If you have not yet purchased the engine I would recommend getting the OS 160 instead.
aerobear is offline Find More Posts by aerobear
Old 12-16-2007, 01:13 AM
planet earth
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts

Hi gdavis

Thanks for the detailed info... will surely get the OS 160 in coming future but why do you need a perry pump.. whats the advantage of using it.. i have hardly seen people use it at my local field. I Fly the F3A class flying .. but though i cant afford a YS...... in comparison how what would be the big difference between the two engines..
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Find More Posts by Stu_D
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2006
1,727 Posts

harry the explination for usung a fuel pump is long and involved but you have to use one . If you have to know the reasons for using one then ask one of the local F3A guys, it will take a while to go through all the reasons .

Stu
Stu_D is offline Find More Posts by Stu_D
Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by gdavis
Flyin' Around
USA
Joined May 2007
7 Posts

harrys

you are more than welcome for the info. The reason you need one is because most pattern planes are designed with the fuel tank at or near the C.G. which can leave a foot of fuel line between the end of the clunk and the needle. The engine simply can't draw fuel that far with vacuum and muffler pressure. A steady and constant flow of fuel is needed in order to run and be put through the rigors of a sequence... even at Sportsmans level. As far as you not seeing anyone use it doesn't mean they aren't as they are hidden in the cowl in the engine compartment and rarely need adjusting. Also depends if the engine they are running has an integrated pump like OS 140 RE----Mintor 170----YS engines etc.. My pumps have always been set and forget. I know at first it seemed complicated and kind of worrysome but its really not alot harder than installing an in line fuel filter. I agree with Stu-D you have to use one. Once you use one and see how simple to use and how great they are you probably won't want to fly even a sport plane without one as I know I don't. I get alot of questions about my pattern planes at the fields I fly at and seems like most are intrigued with the fact I use a fuel pump. The idea is kind of hard to comprehend as us modelers what to know exactly how every little detail works. Somehow I got through that myself and realized I don't have to understand every little detail of the pump in order for it to work. It's just plug and play.

Greg
gdavis is offline Find More Posts by gdavis
Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Hey harry,

These guys are giving you great info. I tried the ST 2300 a few years ago, but was never happy with the low end performance, it quit on me continuously. There are plenty of guys that could give you great info on how to set one up, especially Bob Pastorello who was mentioned above, as for me, I just didn't have the patience to play with it.

For a budget powerplant I agree with the OS 160 and a pump, great setup, very inexpensive as far as Pattern engines go, and loads of power.

Good luck and keep us informed with what you decide.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Hester
The Dragon
Atlanta Georgia USA
Joined May 2007
47 Posts

hey there, I have to agree wholeheartedly about the OS160. it's a MUCH better engine for about the same price.

A good friend of mine, Jon Lowe (yeah Don's son) wrote an extensive article on the care and feeding of the OS160 for a pattern set up for the K Factor. Since I was the editor at the time, I abused my priviledges so I have the article on my site for download in PDF. here's the link:
http://www.customairframes.com/caafo...read.php?t=122

Enjoy!
-Mike
Mike Hester is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hester
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by pcastine
Approaching critical AoA...
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2006
1,495 Posts

Anyone know where I can find the pressure fitting for the OS 1.60 that replaces one of the crankcase backplate bolts? I'm hooking up a Perry pump and don't want to tap the back plate.

Thanks,

Pete
pcastine is offline Find More Posts by pcastine
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by flyintexan
United States, NY, Hancock
Joined Sep 2006
36 Posts

Pete,

You are looking for this:
OSMG790929407300Pressure Fitting 1.40 EFI

picture of it here: http://www.osengines.com/parts/images/29407300.jpg

Looks like you can still buy it too...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWY11&P=SM

I ran this setup for a long time...very good, very reliable.

Good luck, enjoy F3A competition.

-mark
flyintexan is offline Find More Posts by flyintexan

Quick Reply