logo
Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by wildhare
Suspended Account
Texas
Joined Jul 2006
1,487 Posts
Re: GILES 202 Whatever happened nobody flies these?

No, it's not out yet.
wildhare is offline Find More Posts by wildhare
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by luvthestang
Waynesboro, GA 30830
Joined Jul 2008
250 Posts
I have googled and searched for weeks and hope this threads previous participants can help. I have a Giles (202 I think) that has no cowl. It looks to be a stick built model. It is beautifully built and covered. The WS is approximately 80" Can anyone shed light on if they know of any such plane being built? It has a Brison 3.2 for power if that helps. Firewall dimensions are 10.5"wide, 8.5high and 9" from firewall to prop hub.
Thanks in advance,
D
luvthestang is offline Find More Posts by luvthestang
Last edited by luvthestang; 11-26-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoubidou View Post
I had the 40% WH Giles and sold it after 40 flights. It was the worst IMAC plane i ever had. Overotate during snap rolls and it needed a lot of knife edge coupling and mixes to fly straight. Very Good 3D plane for those you like freestyle.

I am not saying the WH Giles is a bad plane but simply the design of the plane does not match with my flying style. I am addicted to Extra 260...
Daniel
Ya buddie.....nothin' like a 260. Nothing!!!
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by cap23244
CAP 232'S AND COLT 44'S
United States, OH, Warren
Joined Jan 2011
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestang View Post
I have googled and searched for weeks and hope this threads previous participants can help. I have a Giles (202 I think) that has no cowl. It looks to be a stick built model. It is beautifully built and covered. The WS is approximately 80" Can anyone shed light on if they know of any such plane being built? It has a Brison 3.2 for power if that helps. Firewall dimensions are 10.5"wide, 8.5high and 9" from firewall to prop hub.
Thanks in advance,
D
I think iseen your post before not sure . we need pics
cap23244 is offline Find More Posts by cap23244
Old 04-28-2020, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Khosravi
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Feb 2015
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Ron View Post
I believe this hobby is very much "fad" driven. Though the years you can see how a peticular model seized the market only to give it up to something new a few years later.
Years ago I had built a 42% Pirate Giles but it was sitting on my workbench waiting on Dave Johnson to come out with his 150cc. I was able to get one of his prototype motors to fly at the Nall that year. What a plane! A few years later it was damaged a little and I never did repair it. Just a couple of months ago I "gave" the plane to a gentleman here in GA. who said he would repair it and fly it. I'm looking forward to seeing it fly again and to see if it really is as good as I thought it was then. During the building of it, I was honored to meet Mr. Giles himself. What a plane!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm happy to report that your old Giles 202 is now in my possession and flying quite well. These are pictures from the maiden flight (on a very windy day gusting 20 mph):
Pirate Models 42% Giles 202 (4 min 10 sec)
Khosravi is offline Find More Posts by Khosravi
Last edited by Khosravi; 04-28-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Not a 202, but a 200. Designed by Wayne Ulery, built for the TOC. Never had the hard points drilled in the elevators and rudder.

Just getting it finished up this week. Old school 3W 120 on the nose, JR HV 8711s, 11ch PowerSafe Rx, XG11. Gotta do baffling and lower cowl cut out.

This was a rare find for me, and a find of a lifetime. I ha e always wanted one of these old school birds.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 04-28-2020, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I flew the big Lanier Giles and the smaller Midwest one quite a bit. They both flew normal aerobatics quite well and like many of the old school birds, they excelled at "real" snaps in all attitudes. I could never quite adjust to the straight TE, relatively low aspect ratio wing though and migrated back to Extras. I still have the Midwest Giles hanging from my ceiling and it will probably remain there as a permanent hanger queen.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Last edited by Truckracer; 04-28-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
A local flyer has one of the old TOC Giles but I don’t remember who flew it. Still a nice plane the last time I saw it at the field. It was pink!
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 04-29-2020, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts
I built two of the 1/3 scale Lanier Giles 202s about 20 years ago, I always liked them. Today I am close to finishing a 30cc Giles. Here are a couple pictures of my old Giles and the one I am working on now.

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Last edited by sensei; 05-02-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:57 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
The Giles is a great flying plane! It unfortunately was given a bad wrap from some smaller designs (the great planes 1.60 size mostly) for being “snappy” after that it seemed to go the way of the Cap 232. I would love to see a modern version done by EF, SkyWing or AJ aircraft as it would really be an awesome platform with today’s newer construction methods and modern airfoils.

I was able to salvage a never flown Aeroworks 202 and had it completely redone. I need to get around to finishing out the equipment install and getting it in the air.
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 04-29-2020, 05:17 AM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
The Giles is a great flying plane! It unfortunately was given a bad wrap from some smaller designs (the great planes 1.60 size mostly) for being “snappy” after that it seemed to go the way of the Cap 232. I would love to see a modern version done by EF, SkyWing or AJ aircraft as it would really be an awesome platform with today’s newer construction methods and modern airfoils.
Completely agree, overweight airplanes with poor wing designs tend to be snappy, especially smaller ones. By the way, beautiful airplane!

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 04-29-2020, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts
Check these out. Incredible flying airplanes.

http://www.jtecrc.com/40_G202_Comp_kit.html
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Old 04-29-2020, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by TnAeroNut
not always upright
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2006
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
I would love to see a modern version of the Cap 232. I had a 35% Carden a long time ago and it flew great!
TnAeroNut is offline Find More Posts by TnAeroNut
Old 05-01-2020, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
Not a 202, but a 200. Designed by Wayne Ulery, built for the TOC. Never had the hard points drilled in the elevators and rudder.

Just getting it finished up this week. Old school 3W 120 on the nose, JR HV 8711s, 11ch PowerSafe Rx, XG11. Gotta do baffling and lower cowl cut out.

This was a rare find for me, and a find of a lifetime. I ha e always wanted one of these old school birds.
This thing is like a time capsule Nice find.

Like the servo wire tube, What with the laser rods?, option for Elve/Rudder mid mounted servos?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 05-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by BobUSA
May the paws be with you
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2020
230 Posts
My Jtec 202 on the back burner waiting for the warbird kick to die down, ha!

Bob
BobUSA is offline Find More Posts by BobUSA

Quick Reply