logo
Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by klu0906
Suspended Account
Illinois
Joined Dec 2008
218 Posts
Re: 40% Turbo Laser (scratch built)

Roger, i Have to say I support you 100% on boost tabs. You inspired me to put one on my Edge 540 as a helper to my 5955. Its fantastic... Big increase in performance. Now as a serious question, your servo running your boost tabs, how much load is on that boost tab? Seems to me not too much, In my opinion your servos seem to be more then up to handling the job. If you do do that video please include me in the good guy list as i would like to see your set up compared to mine...
klu0906 is offline Find More Posts by klu0906
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by forgues research
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klu0906 View Post
Roger, i Have to say I support you 100% on boost tabs. You inspired me to put one on my Edge 540 as a helper to my 5955. Its fantastic... Big increase in performance. Now as a serious question, your servo running your boost tabs, how much load is on that boost tab? Seems to me not too much, In my opinion your servos seem to be more then up to handling the job. If you do do that video please include me in the good guy list as i would like to see your set up compared to mine...
Thank you.

The tiny servo running the rudder boost tab does not work hard but I don't know the exact load on it .
Because of the tiny control this servo works on is like that of a 1/2A airplane, it doesn't work hard

Hope this helps, if not let me know.
Yes I will make a video, the reason its been so hard for a video, is when I bought my Nikon I was surprised it didn't have a video fonction.

As for setup , there are plenty of pictures already posted either the Yak or the laser.

Have you read the complete article on Boost Tabs that I have posted?

Roger
forgues research is offline Find More Posts by forgues research
Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgpr View Post
Roger,
I don't understand, you have turbo prop aircraft, 52% 20,000 dollar something or other and you use plastic gear 77 oz servos and you don't have the means for picures or video?

"NOW THAT'S PRICELESS"
Dan
I owe you no explanations for anything buddy, its with cracks like that , that will push anyone away
Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts

Honest question...

in the other thread and on your site, you have a larger aircraft with nothing but an HS-81 on a boost tab...
no other servo controlling the rudder...

How does this plane preform in knife edge, high alpha knife edge, IMAC 360 degree rollers, or knife edge loops?
really curious
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Honest question...

in the other thread and on your site, you have a larger aircraft with nothing but an HS-81 on a boost tab...
no other servo controlling the rudder...

How does this plane preform in knife edge, high alpha knife edge, IMAC 360 degree rollers, or knife edge loops?
really curious
As I have said already many times, the boost tab is what controls the rudder in this application.

The same as when you adjust the trim on a full size aircraft.
My fun was to do just that, knife edge pass using only a boost tab for control.

The F7F Tigercat had no direct control just boost tabs on the yoke.
Give it a try, that's what I did some years ago ...won't cost you an arm and a leg.

read this
Servo-Operated Boost Tabs
A
super-effective variation of the boost tab is used on a number of large full-scale aircraft. The control system is connected directly to the boost tab, and it doesn't directly move the control surface, which is counterweighted and left free to weathervane in the slipstream. Movement of the direct-operated boost tab causes the control surface to change its angle relative to the slipstream and provides the necessary control force. The resutl is an extremely large multiplication factor between the force exerted by the pilot and the effective force on the control surface. This enables a big, fast aircraft to be flown easily without hydraulic assist.
The Douglas DC-8, for example, uses manually operated boost tabs on the elevators, connected directly to the control column by cables. This avoids the complexity and weight of hydraulic assist and gives light control with an excellent feel. Many DC-9 pilots joke that the "DC" stands for "direct cable". Both the ailerons and the elevators are operated by simple, simple, reliable, cable-connected boost tabs and have no hydraulic assist in normal operation. Even the rudder on this beautifully handling big bird can be tab-operated manually, should the hydraulics fail. The ailerons and rudder on the larger DC-8 can also be manually controlled by similar boost tabs, if necessary.

and this

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/roge/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by forgues research; 07-11-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

OK guys, I really don't want to bring the boost tabs to this thread which is about a 40% Turbo laser. Its not fair for those that are here for the laser.

Roger
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by Rebel
west palm
Joined Jan 2006
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgues research View Post
OK guys, I really don't want to bring the boost tabs to this thread which is about a 40% Turbo laser. Its not fair for those that are here for the laser.

Roger
The boost tabs thread is continued here https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...t-tabs-ii.html They shut the other one down because it was getting a little too long. It would be good to keep this thread on topic, thanks.
Rebel is offline Find More Posts by Rebel
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by danielgpr
San Antonio, Tx
Joined Jul 2008
733 Posts

Quote:
I owe you no explanations for anything buddy, its with cracks like that , that will push anyone away
I'm not your buddy!
I was interested in your thread, didn't coment as I was learning about what you were doing/accomplishing with these boost tabs. When people started asking for video, I waited and you didn't give moving pictures of your worded explanations of your installs. All that came up was how you didn't invent them and became very flip/floppy on showing how it is applied to our hobby. The real resone they were invented was for full scale pilot relief on the fly by cable controls of that time. None of which apply to models, however could be addapted as you are trying to point out.
Now as far as the servos, safety is paramount, especially here in the US as the FAA has concerns about modeling safety in general. Using loe torque servos on any demanding application w/o adequate power for application is irresponsible on ANY modelers part.
Hope you do provide video as it is still interesting and would be uneque.
Dan
danielgpr is offline Find More Posts by danielgpr
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

As of now, if anyone has any questions or consctructive comments on boost tabs, please direct them to a PM

Moderators , seeing this thread was started by me on the build of a 40% Laser, I would like you to remove all post on boost tabs,

Thank you.

Roger
Old 07-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by jaguar bone
balsa, glue & gas
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracky View Post
Well best wishes to you and please be safe.

WTF ??????
jaguar bone is offline Find More Posts by jaguar bone
Last edited by jaguar bone; 07-12-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by tonyc9075
Ruston, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2007
355 Posts

Roger, any Laser build pictures? I would like to see one of the landing gear Jack cut for you.

Also, my 40% Laser uses the boost tabs, absolute must on those big rudders.
tonyc9075 is offline Find More Posts by tonyc9075
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Hi Tony,
Here are a few pictures of the landing gear Jack cut and bent for me, he is a master
Unfortunately the picture is not the best to show is work but the aluminum used is 2024-T4 1/4" thick but narrowed since this aluminum is much more springy then the standard 6061-T6 most people use.

You will also note, the bends are more rounded because of the 2024 traits which will crack in sharp bends.
Roger
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by jaguar bone
balsa, glue & gas
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts

Quote:
Hi Tony,
Here are a few pictures of the landing gear Jack cut and bent for me, he is a master
Unfortunately the picture is not the best to show is work but the aluminum used is 2024-T4 1/4" thick but narrowed since this aluminum is much more springy then the standard 6061-T6 most people use.

You will also note, the bends are more rounded because of the 2024 traits which will crack in sharp bends.
Roger
Isn't T4 a bit soft for gear Roger? My experience is T6 will rarely get bent out of shape. (even with me on the sticks) If it does bend, you most likely have much bigger (repair) problems than the gear!??
Maybe I'm missing the why one would would want the softer temper?
jaguar bone is offline Find More Posts by jaguar bone
Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar bone View Post
Isn't T4 a bit soft for gear Roger? My experience is T6 will rarely get bent out of shape. (even with me on the sticks) If it does bend, you most likely have much bigger (repair) problems than the gear!??
Maybe I'm missing the why one would would want the softer temper?

The difference is 2024 rather then 6061, but my knowledge is limited on the difference of these two aluminum, so I will let Jack chime in here and let him explain.

Calling Jack, calling Jack

Roger
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Marc,
I found this that might help on the difference, just scroll down for aluminum.

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/...e_strength.htm

Roger

Quick Reply