Old 08-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by N233W
I Feel the Light and the Heat
NorCal, East Bay
Joined Feb 2009
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Not to derail here...but...I wear glasses and have from as long as I can remember had a pair of prescription sun glasses as well. Something like the Zurichs over my glasses just makes me mental...I can stand the frame over frame thing. Additionally I have yet in over 10 years of wearing perscription sunglasses managed to find a pair that I actually liked. The closest I have come was special ordering a pair of Oakleys with factory done scrip lenese in them. At $550 for the pair...I am looking to do something different this time around.
Anyone have any suggestions?
My Maui Jim's were stolen, they were great, and I miss them terribly. can't afford new ones, I'm limping along with Randolph Eng. glasses now. I have resorted to ski goggles over these for when the winds are 20+ (not rare this time of year at our field). As for prescription issues, my wife is very discriminating about eyewear and she has had a great experience getting a set of prescription sunglasses from Maui Jim, via her local eyewear place. I'd suggest you check it out that option, I'm sure their web site would refer you.

And on other important topics:

If you're concerned about fashion? - Zurichs aren't going to cu it. You've got to be as good as Quique to pull it off, man. I'm more concerned about the health of my eyes and seeing exactly what the aircraft is doing as a pattern competitor, and me wearing welding glasses wouldn't bother my wife too much.

I tried the Zurichs for like 5 seconds before a round at a contest this weekend and I know what you mean about the edge distortion, I didn't like it but it didn't bug me that much. I'm sure you could experiment with electrical-taping the edges.

And their clarity was good and I see the price is more than reasonable, the wind protection is unparalled. I'd like to know from someone with a scientific or medical back ground who can judge their data at least as presented here:

Zurich Sunglasses block UV-A (98%), UV-B (100%), Infrared (65%)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=855

How does that compare to other top brands, like smith Oakley, Smith M., Jim etc? AND are there other specifications someone worried about sun induced eye-damage should be paying attention to?

Thank you

-
Bill
N233W is offline Find More Posts by N233W
Last edited by N233W; 08-21-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: expand concept
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by Smacka
United States, PA, Ridgway
Joined Jun 2008
2,571 Posts
Well, I feel kind of foolish. I purchased a pair of sun glasses, as did my wife, at IRCHA this year. I am including a photo so you can see what I am saying. They "look" exactly like the Zurichs shown in the above link, down to the last minute detail...even the soft case is exactly the same, only someone else's name is on the soft case. It also has a patent pending number molded into the frame and states, "Made in the USA". The mechanics of switching to a different lense or replacing the ear piece is EXACTLY like that shown in the above Zurich link. Even the price is EXACTLY the same. It gets to the point that you do not know who to believe and/or trust
Smacka is offline Find More Posts by Smacka
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Custom User Title
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jun 2011
232 Posts
I just bought some Oakley Dispatch sunglasses. I have previously had zurichs and couldn't stand the edge distortion. The dispatch model has a really nice wide field of view. I would have got the polarized version but it completely distorts the screen on my 11X bad enough to not be able to read most of it. The Oakleys are also stylish
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Find More Posts by DA2000
Midland, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
767 Posts
Smacka, no worries, you got the same glasses.
DA2000 is offline Find More Posts by DA2000

Quick Reply