logo
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by wesryman
Down in the SWAMP
Willow Spring, NC
Joined Oct 2008
1,007 Posts
Very well said Kevin and since you were there I think what you saw should trump the hearsay.
wesryman is offline Find More Posts by wesryman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Y View Post
I don't mean to be rude but as one of the few people that was there and saw every flight in the finals I find it kind of crazy seeing some of the comments about the flying and judging at the Worlds. Especially from certain parties I find commenting on Judging pretty inappropriate.

Did CPLR make some mistakes, Yeah he did; Did Onda make mistakes, yep him too; Did Andrew and Jason make mistakes as well, Yeah they did and they will be the first to tell you they did.

In the end it was a really close contest as far as flying and in my personal opinion it could have gone either way for the top four but for Onda, Andrew, and Jason they didn't leave their feeling cheated in anyway as some of you make it out to sound, they left there with pride for how they finished and determination for 2015.

I can tell you Andrew and Jason are already talking about what it is going to take for them to get there and what they have to improve on to reach the top step. I personally could not be more proud of Andrew, Jason, Brett, and Joseph because I was their and saw the hard work each one of them put in to finish where they did and I am proud that I could be part of U.S. team.
of course the majority of us weren't there... and the "Mistake" that Onda made that I was referring to was described as a "Wrong Maneuver" mistake that got a 2 and a 5 or a 6 or similar...
Again I must say I read about this on other forums.. if it is untrue... I apologize for spreading BS....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
I am just going to start calling you the "spoon" Mith.....stirring it up!! I read about the same thing you mentioned though.

Congrats to everyone! We are all very proud.
mbacosa is offline Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
TEAM FUTABA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
in some of the pictures.. it looks like Jason is holding a Bipe.. I thought he was gonna fly the "Epic"

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...7&d=1367258870

Old 08-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
Jason Decided to go with The Mystery and Xurama bipes because he wanted to have two similar airplanes in case he had to use his backup. He said that when we were at the nats the switch from a mono plane to the bipe was just a little to much and he felt his performance suffered a bit. He did mention if he had two of the epics we probably would have flown them. Even though the Mystery is Jason's design, for the competition he ended up flying the Xurama because he had more time on it as far a setup and such.
Kevin Y is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Y
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
of course the majority of us weren't there... and the "Mistake" that Onda made that I was referring to was described as a "Wrong Maneuver" mistake that got a 2 and a 5 or a 6 or similar...
Again I must say I read about this on other forums.. if it is untrue... I apologize for spreading BS....
As far as Onda's mistake on the figure M I will admit that is a tough call and to be honest I would not have been surprised if they zeroed it but I also was not surprised that they did not. During the first downline of the figure M he seemed to start a snap instead of a 3/4 or 3 of 4 roll (I can't remember which right this second). The part that looked like the start of a snap was about a 1/4 rotation so I can understand a severe downgrade. I will tell you earlier in the week we talked to Michael Ramel who is the Jury President and he did tell us that judges are encouraged to confir with the other judges if they have any question on what they saw and if it should be a zero so obviously in the situation of Onda none of the judges saw it as a zero and did not see any reason to confir. If it were not for that mistake I think Onda would have clearly won the round because it was a very good flight besides that one mistake.

In that same round Andrew over rotated one of his 1 1/2 snaps and CPLR had some knife edge coupling issues with the knife edge triangle.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:02 PM
TEAM FUTABA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Y View Post
Jason Decided to go with The Mystery and Xurama bipes because he wanted to have two similar airplanes in case he had to use his backup. He said that when we were at the nats the switch from a mono plane to the bipe was just a little to much and he felt his performance suffered a bit. He did mention if he had two of the epics we probably would have flown them. Even though the Mystery is Jason's design, for the competition he ended up flying the Xurama because he had more time on it as far a setup and such.

were there any other Epics at the WC?

With planes at this level... can one call one design "Better" than another?.. or just different?

forgive me for saying this... but the Epic looks like a cartoon plane... like the Monster Truck of FAI!!!

(Jason knows I love him!!)

he he he he
Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by Outlaw Pops
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Mar 2008
1,331 Posts
I am gonna go waaaay out there but where do these guys get these planes. I can find them.. Are these One of ..as a personnal design.. Mystery...epic.... Xurama..
Outlaw Pops is offline Find More Posts by Outlaw Pops
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Jason's Epic is from CA Models @ www.camodel.com.ar
Jason's Xurama and Mystery are also from CA Model. The Xurama is available. I don't think the Mystery is yet.
CPLR's Galactik is from Oxai R/C
Onda's Asyuler & Asyuler Biplane are from Oxai R/C
Andrew's Proteus (Dumbo) is from Xtreme Composite (fuse) and Dave Snow (wings/stabs)

For the ARF versions from CA Models, you're looking at about $2700. For Oxai, about $5000. I don't have pricing on Andrew's airplane, but the wing/stab kit I bought from Dave was $260 I think, and it didn't have skins, or tubes.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 08-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
were there any other Epics at the WC?
Marcelo Colombo flew the Epic I think.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM
TEAM FUTABA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
I have an old Kenny Lauter built CA Eclipse.. (Old plane.. but freshly assembled)....
I don't think a $5000.00 plane is gonna help me as much as $500 worth of batteries!! lol

I guess they charge that amount of money for a plane because they can!!!

WOW!!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Marcelo Colombo flew the Epic I think.
Yep he did. I was teasing Jason about it because I like it better in Marcelo's scheme then Jasons.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:32 AM
TEAM FUTABA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
F'ing WOW!!

Maybe some day the folks at IMAC will open their minds???!!!

SHULMAN J UNKNOW1 WMN (8 min 37 sec)

WOW!!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by Garley
aka Bones
Queensland, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
745 Posts
Great job Team USA! It was extremely close in the end for Andrew and Jason. I sat back and watched the final 10 fly and it was going to be close for the top 5 or 6. Everyone that I saw made only minor mistakes which in the scheme of things, would make the world of difference.

Hope to see you guys again in 2015!

Bones
Garley is offline Find More Posts by Garley
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts
Anyone have a link to the photos from S. Africa?
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer

Quick Reply