logo
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting test, Jodi. I was going to say that it sounds like the high speed jets are blocked somewhere along the way. It sounds like this will conform or deny that, no? I will try and take pictures or even a video.

Shimano and siko, your advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Mr. Sikes, I sprayed the cleaner everywhere except the front bearing area. Good idea though.
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Find More Posts by Jedijody
Proud father of 3 Soldiers
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckin Chuck View Post
Hmmm. Interesting test, Jodi. I was going to say that it sounds like the high speed jets are blocked somewhere along the way. It sounds like this will conform or deny that, no? I will try and take pictures or even a video.
Not necessarily, but possibly. To this point you've done little to determine anything specific. I'm trying to stay out of it as much as possible, letting you see if you can figure it out on your own, trying to just answer questions directed specifically to me. BUT, ...

Accurate and efficient troubleshooting needs to be deliberate and methodical. You have to resist making multiple changes before re-testing, otherwise you have no idea which change had which effect if any.

It's a process of elimination. You must fix any known existing issue first, no matter how insignificant it may seem, don't take ANYTHING for granted. Then you should choose the most likely subsystem that has the ability to cause the problem, break that subsystem down into it's assorted components. Through a thorough understanding of the system, use a methodical process of elimination to test or inspect each component. Repair or replace as needed until you can clear that subsystem as non-causal. Then move on to the next most likely subsystem.

It sounds like it will take a long time but it doesn't if you have the understanding of the system. If one doesn't have a keen understanding of the systems involved, the second best approach is to throw new parts at it until you find one that fixes it. That can get expensive, but you wind up with a bunch of good spare parts when you finally stumble on the one part that works.

Now, I've spent half my night typing you this advice as if you are still wanting to figure it out on your own. The above can help you get there if you want. If you need help understanding how a system or component works, ask away. Don't be embarrassed if you need that kind of help, you're still smarter than half the people on this site.

Have a Happy and Safe Independence Day!
Jedijody is offline Find More Posts by Jedijody
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to type that. I admit I got discouraged and was about to say screw it. But as usual you got me back and interested in it. Thank you.
I will preform that test ASAP.
I dont know why but I have a gut feeling that the problem is in the carb. I do not know how to do any cleaning or inspecting past the two "covers" or plates whatever you want to call them. The carb is wet when I disassemble it so it's getting fuel, but the engine doesn't respond accordingly. So to me it points to something in the carb. But we shall see.

Question. And this can be answered with a one word answer. Do you know what the problem is, or at least have a hunch?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
You're welcome, I think. ;-)

Good, but be more careful this time ... please.

Your gut has logic, and that's a very good place to start. But, have you made certain that everything that makes the carburetor function is in good order, nothing even marginal. Do you know everything the carburetor needs to function correctly? Don't take that wrong, I just want you to be sure, and get the info you need if necessary so nothing is overlooked, that's the key to successful troubleshooting. I'll guarantee you that at some point in your life, the one thing you overlook will bite your behind. Or at least cause you to chase your tail for a while, it's good lesson. lol

No, I don't know for certain what the problem is. I'm a guru, not a gypsy!

Yes I have a hunch, right between my shoulder blades.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
Here's a little hint,,, take pictures when you are taking something apart for the first time so you will have a reference on how it goes back together
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to type that. I admit I got discouraged and was about to say screw it. But as usual you got me back and interested in it. Thank you.
I will preform that test ASAP.
Welll???
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Ft Lupton CO
Joined Nov 2008
2,699 Posts
This is a good thread, sorry it's at Chucks expense.
flatspinjim is offline Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by shimano
I just wana fly airplanes!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Apr 2012
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijody View Post
Welll???
Yeah man, not sure how much longer I can keep up this drumb roll !
shimano is offline Find More Posts by shimano
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by 49dimes
Joined Dec 2010
2,114 Posts
Hey,

Chuck seems to be a decent young man and is helped by a master technician.
49dimes is offline Find More Posts by 49dimes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
I said ASAP not "now"
I was occupied with a large national birthday party today. My apologies
But seriously our neighborhood has a 4th of July party that I helped set up for and I grilled food during the afternoon then put on the fire works show.
Tomorrow it'll happen. Luckily the rain seems to have ceased (knoking on some serious wood. We are 16" above normal and everywhere is flooded). I'll get to it tomorrow. I'm confident we (I? we? us?) can solve this tomorrow.
Jodi. Should I run the test with the carb as is or should I learn how to clean the rest of the carb, clean it, them do the test?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49dimes View Post
Hey,

Chuck seems to be a decent young man and is helped by a master technician.
He's got someone else helping him? Well, I'll stay out of the way then.

We're separated by our entire country but I did have the pleasure of his company for a time at an event last year. Chuck is a VERY bright and respectful young man (or he just knows how to get what he wants ), and a huge pleasure to be around.

Seriously, if opportunity was to present itself, don't pass up meeting this kid and spending the day flying with him, you wouldn't regret it.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Quote:

We're separated by our entire country but I did have the pleasure of his company for a time at an event last year. Chuck is a VERY bright and respectful young man (or he just knows how to get what he wants ), and a huge pleasure to be around.

Seriously, if opportunity was to present itself, don't pass up meeting this kid and spending the day flying with him, you wouldn't regret it.
Quote:
I said ASAP not "now"
I was occupied with a large national birthday party today. My apologies
But seriously our neighborhood has a 4th of July party that I helped set up for and I grilled food during the afternoon then put on the fire works show.
Tomorrow it'll happen. Luckily the rain seems to have ceased (knoking on some serious wood. We are 16" above normal and everywhere is flooded). I'll get to it tomorrow. I'm confident we (I? we? us?) can solve this tomorrow.
Jodi. Should I run the test with the carb as is or should I learn how to clean the rest of the carb, clean it, them do the test?
See, what I tell ya, and he's Mr. Community to boot!

Hey Chuck, when ya get done washing my truck I'll have the grill all warmed up for ya!

Do the test as is, no need to go further in the carb just yet.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Quote:

Well shucks! I guess I should mention that I would have had a grounded plane for a good 8 months if not for my engine guru friend. And not only is he the most knowledgable guy I know, he always helps out and shared his info. Not to mention he goes above and beyond to help others and is one great guy. He even stayed up till the wee hours teaching me te ways of life (and internal combustion engines) when he had a plane ride at 3 am or some ungodly time.

Quote:
See, what I tell ya, and he's Mr. Community to boot!

Hey Chuck, when ya get done washing my truck I'll have the grill all warmed up for ya!

Do the test as is, no need to go further in the carb just yet.
Hmmm. If I remember correctly, don't I already own you a lawn cutting? In all honesty, if I anywhere even close to the pacific NW, I'm paying you a visit.
On a tangent here, are you thinking about coming to HOW3 it was that just a perfect coincidence of plans last year?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by 49dimes
Joined Dec 2010
2,114 Posts
I can't get my Blue Mohawk of a son to do anything much less wash anything!

Happy 4th to you ALL!
49dimes is offline Find More Posts by 49dimes
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Well shucks! I guess I should mention that I would have had a grounded plane for a good 8 months if not for my engine guru friend. And not only is he the most knowledgable guy I know, he always helps out and shared his info. Not to mention he goes above and beyond to help others and is one great guy. He even stayed up till the wee hours teaching me te ways of life (and internal combustion engines) when he had a plane ride at 3 am or some ungodly time.

Hmmm. If I remember correctly, don't I already own you a lawn cutting? In all honesty, if I anywhere even close to the pacific NW, I'm paying you a visit.
On a tangent here, are you thinking about coming to HOW3 it was that just a perfect coincidence of plans last year?
You better let me know if you're ever in the hood. I go out of my way to stir up crap too sometimes but I'm old, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Yeah the lawn, I helped the neighbor kid fix his scooter so he's been keeping it up for you. It'll wait.

Am I thinking about going to HOWIII? There was a coincidence factor at play last year but not this year. I'll be there planned and on purpose, wouldn't miss it for the world. Might even have one of my own planes there to fly.

Quick Reply