logo
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by willmottd
Farmington, MN
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
Re: New hitec 7950TH

No y's or matchboxes. directly through a 1222 each on thier own channel (mixed in the 12x). the extensions are about 3 ft each and solderd connection (no extension joints) With a regulator (6v) they appear to be fine. Just defeats my intension to get rid of all the extra electronics. Also after switching to twisted wire all the way nearly eliminated the issue of flutter but I still get intermitent Glitching. I think those that they are working for are either running lower voltage batteries or regulators. Is anyone running batteries straight through without issues?
willmottd is offline Find More Posts by willmottd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Dec 2006
1,651 Posts

Good info, keep it coming
Pittsflyboy is offline Find More Posts by Pittsflyboy
Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Angry Hornet
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts

I pulled my extensions out of the plane, separated the wires and twisted them. This is my first plane with three servos in the tail, and I didn't know it was a good idea to do this. It seems to have eliminated the glitching I saw. I ran the motor and still no problem. I will pull the extensions back through the fuselage tomorrow. If no problems then, maiden on Saturday. When I pull the extensions back through the tube, should I try to keep them straight or should I try to twist them together ?
Angry Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Angry Hornet
Old 10-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by willmottd
Farmington, MN
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts

i would say have them twisted independantly but not each of them together
willmottd is offline Find More Posts by willmottd
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Find More Posts by henke
SWE
Joined Apr 2006
47 Posts

Guys, check your servo wiering... My brand new 7950's had oxidated wires which obviously is not good as the connectors are crimped to the wire and may cause glitching.

I found this when cutting the terminals of to extend the cable by soldering on an extention.

I emailed Hitec who kindly offerd to change my cabels even though I explained that I personally had no problem with it as I already discioverd the oxidated wiering, but poor guys not checking their wires before they go fly.

As the 7950 is a very powerful servo meant to replace former dual or tripple installations this kind of quality problem might be fatal, so I thought I would post an eye opener here too.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Find More Posts by Norio79
San Jose CA
Joined Oct 2007
78 Posts

I have a Hangar 9 35% Extra 260 with 7955s in the wings and elevators with one 7950 on the rudder. The 7950 is in the tail and I soldered a twisted wire extention directly to avoid an extra connection. The wire on the servo and on the extention are not oxidated. I am using a JR 922 power safe Rx running direct on 2S Lipo. I check voltage of the packs before and after every flight. I noticed after the 30th flight or so the rudder started glitching. It is an intermitent twitching about every 5-10 seconds. From my experience the glitches happen only when the lipos are topped off. If I load up the other servos the voltage drops a little and the glitching goes away. Other than that problem (though not very insignificant) the servo is great. It's just wierd that the 7955s in the stab are the same distance from the Rx with the same wiring with no problems. I just charge my lipos to 90% with no other sign of glitches.
Norio79 is offline Find More Posts by Norio79
Last edited by Norio79; 10-13-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
Guys, check your servo wiering... My brand new 7950's had oxidated wires which obviously is not good as the connectors are crimped to the wire and may cause glitching.

I found this when cutting the terminals of to extend the cable by soldering on an extention.

I emailed Hitec who kindly offerd to change my cabels even though I explained that I personally had no problem with it as I already discioverd the oxidated wiering, but poor guys not checking their wires before they go fly.

As the 7950 is a very powerful servo meant to replace former dual or tripple installations this kind of quality problem might be fatal, so I thought I would post an eye opener here too.
What could cause brand new wires to oxidize?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyer
Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2006
680 Posts

Excessively high current flow I would say. Was the servo binding or overloaded in any way?
rcflyer is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
THROTTLEMELON
Fremont, NH
Joined Aug 2006
1,180 Posts

Mine are still working great, no jittering or hunting or anything, but mine are regulated. Maybe they're not quite ready for full lithium voltage...but even regulated, they are still a world-class servo.
Wojcigitty is offline Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by Bad Dog!
"Release the Kracken"
Medford Oregon USA
Joined Apr 2008
544 Posts

I placed an order yesterday at Chief for 6 7950,s. I called this morning and switched to 8711HV's. I am setting up a 35 % Pilot Yak 54 with only one servo per aileron and only one servo on the rudder. I will be using them un-regulated and they will encounter some heavy loads.

I hate to spend the extra money, but It looks like the 7950's wiring may not be up to the loads these servos are capable of drawing at 7.4+ volts. The whole point of using high voltage , high output servos was to reduce weight by using one servo where two are normally used, so regulating them down to 6 volts would defeat the intended purpose.

This information is sketchy and this thread is to new to draw any conclusions. I do not mean to flame the 7950, in fact I suspect it is going to be the best servo value for GS for quite a while.

The plain 8711 seems to tolerate un-regulated 7.4, so it is logical to assume that the 8711HV will also. That plus the (hopefully) better gear train, and better heat sink, should make it a safe, but costly, choice for the short run.
Bad Dog! is offline Find More Posts by Bad Dog!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Find More Posts by henke
SWE
Joined Apr 2006
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
Excessively high current flow I would say. Was the servo binding or overloaded in any way?
it was NIB, never used. Wires were cut and stripped to solder on extentions when the oxidated wiering were discoverd.

This is what we call a rotten wire where moisture has caused the copper to oxidize, which point out Hitec's quality control as not being good enough.

If the manufaturer does't even bother checking their crimps they are not much worth.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyer
Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2006
680 Posts

Hmmmm, that's bad
rcflyer is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer
Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
it was NIB, never used. Wires were cut and stripped to solder on extentions when the oxidated wiering were discoverd.

This is what we call a rotten wire where moisture has caused the copper to oxidize, which point out Hitec's quality control as not being good enough.

If the manufaturer does't even bother checking their crimps they are not much worth.
You have to wonder how many other 7950's out there have bad wiring as well.
I am sure Hitec will rectify the problem.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by henke
SWE
Joined Apr 2006
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
You have to wonder how many other 7950's out there have bad wiring as well.
I am sure Hitec will rectify the problem.
yeah that was my concern too.. specially when replaceing two servos with one giant drawing 5-6Amps through a 80+" long wire...

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ got the 8711's at the same price as a 7950... maybe worth changing to JR
Last edited by henke; 10-14-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
I doubt current or voltage had anything to do with it because it looks like the Signal wire was the one that was oxidized. That's still bad and could cause the "jitters" and like someone else already said is representative of poor quality control.
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing

Quick Reply