Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by SnowDog
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Nov 2009
310 Posts
Re: New member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMadDog View Post
So were you in Byers Flyers? I was about to join that club when they lost the field you're talking about in Crystal Lake. I won a motor from them in a raffle back around 1990. (I was living in Marengo at the time after moving out from Roselle). I also flew (more like crashed) at the Pratt Wayne woods, but I spent more time at Shoe Factory hanging out with the Tri-village RCers. Brings back alot of old memories.

Good to see some one that has stomped the same ground.

Joe
Wow...I was very active around 1990...I wonder if we met? Anyway, it is good to hear from someone from "the old days". How did you end up in Maryland, and what are you flying now? Have you made the jump to electric? I'm looking at going bigger than a .40 size plane without getting expensive...I'm thinking electric is still too expensive for me...the batteries and the charger and the lipo sacks and all that seems to really add up. I can buy a .60 size kit or arf for $150 and a motor for about the same and be good to go for around $300, if I understand things correctly. What size planes are you flying now? I've attached a pic of my current plane, an unknown brand low-wing .40 size plane with an old O.S Max .50 engine on it. Moves around pretty good.

-Mike
SnowDog is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Joined Nov 2009
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanglianghui View Post
hello! everybody i' a freshman.
Hello yanglianghui, welcome to the Flying Giants...are you new to flying or just this forum? Do you have a plane yet? If so, what are you flying?

-Mike
Old 11-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by FlyingMadDog
United States, IA, Homestead
Joined Jun 2009
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog View Post
Wow...I was very active around 1990...I wonder if we met? Anyway, it is good to hear from someone from "the old days". How did you end up in Maryland, and what are you flying now? Have you made the jump to electric? I'm looking at going bigger than a .40 size plane without getting expensive...I'm thinking electric is still too expensive for me...the batteries and the charger and the lipo sacks and all that seems to really add up. I can buy a .60 size kit or arf for $150 and a motor for about the same and be good to go for around $300, if I understand things correctly. What size planes are you flying now? I've attached a pic of my current plane, an unknown brand low-wing .40 size plane with an old O.S Max .50 engine on it. Moves around pretty good.

-Mike
Mike,

I gave up on glow planes a couple of years ago, if it is .60 size or less, I fly them electric. The rest of my planes are gas, 26cc - 100cc. With the chinese importers you can get to electric fairly inexpensively, but you have to be careful in selection, since some of it is a crapshoot. A recent electric
conversion I did was a twist 40. The motor / batts / speed control were from Hobbyking in China.

Turnigy 50-55B 600kv $42
Hobbyking SS speed controller (90A) $30
Rhino 6C 3700mAh 25C battery $64 (I got a couple of them for more flying time)
I could probably go 4 - 5 cells with a different prop, but I really liked the thrust with the 6C setup.

Has held up for me for almost a year now. But like I said, with these products you do take your chances. But there is still the expense of chargers / etc and I don't trust the stuff that I would buy overseas for that, just easier to deal with warranty issues here. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Joe
FlyingMadDog is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMadDog
Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Nov 2009
310 Posts

Quote:
Mike,

I gave up on glow planes a couple of years ago, if it is .60 size or less, I fly them electric. The rest of my planes are gas, 26cc - 100cc. With the chinese importers you can get to electric fairly inexpensively, but you have to be careful in selection, since some of it is a crapshoot. A recent electric
conversion I did was a twist 40. The motor / batts / speed control were from Hobbyking in China.

Turnigy 50-55B 600kv $42
Hobbyking SS speed controller (90A) $30
Rhino 6C 3700mAh 25C battery $64 (I got a couple of them for more flying time)
I could probably go 4 - 5 cells with a different prop, but I really liked the thrust with the 6C setup.

Has held up for me for almost a year now. But like I said, with these products you do take your chances. But there is still the expense of chargers / etc and I don't trust the stuff that I would buy overseas for that, just easier to deal with warranty issues here. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Joe
I'll take your advice about electrics under consideration. I realized by looking at your website and your club website that you are in Missouri, not Maryland! I mistook the "MO" in your location for "MD" which is why I thought you were in Maryland! du-oh! I looked at your club website and google-mapped your field...it looks awesome! I wish we had something that big here! Our site is pretty good, but smaller, and in a small valley...once you take off and gain some altitude the winds aloft really pick up, and that can be a surprise if you are not ready for it.

Here is a link to our club website: http://www.chainolakeseagles.com/

Regarding chargers, one that I found online that I'm considering is the Thunder AC6 Smart 5-in-1 charger from hobbypartz.com....do you have any experience or feedback on this charger?

Here is the link: http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Your warranty concerns are valid, but the price for the AC6 is substantially lower than a Triton II charger from Tower Hobbies, for example. Not sure if the price consideration is more important than the warranty issues.

I'm hoping to eventually get a larger, gas-powered plane, but I figured a .60 size was the next logical step up towards that. Do you you think I should go bigger than .60, like a .90 or 1.20 sized instead?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,199 Posts

Cubs or Sox?
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Joined Nov 2009
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post

Cubs or Sox?
Cubs <sigh>

and Bears <sigh>
Old 11-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by xrisnelson
Roselle, IL
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts

Quote:
Cubs <sigh>

and Bears <sigh>
You're a Cubs Fan. UHHHHHHHHHHH! I just blocked you! Only Kidding. GO SOX!!!!
xrisnelson is offline Find More Posts by xrisnelson
Old 11-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Joined Jun 2009
139 Posts

Your website is cooler though, yes, the spirits and orchard farm are both really nice fields. They don't know how good they have it, although the dues are twice what you are paying, so it all comes out in the wash.

Yes, I've been looking at that charger as well. A direct copy of one venom sells, most people have been very happy with them.

Joe
Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2009
139 Posts

Quote:
MadDog, I don't know if you realize it, but there is a spelling error in your avatar!

Yeah, I've just been too lazy to fix it, at least it is spelled correctly for the web address!

Joe
Old 11-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Joined Nov 2009
310 Posts

Quote:
Your website is cooler though, yes, the spirits and orchard farm are both really nice fields. They don't know how good they have it, although the dues are twice what you are paying, so it all comes out in the wash.
Joe
Our dues are $65/yr. Are you saying that the dues for your club are $130/yr?

-Mike
Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
139 Posts

Quote:
Our dues are $65/yr. Are you saying that the dues for your club are $130/yr?

-Mike
$125, but that has us a nice pavilion with fans, electric at the field and a paved runway with taxi ways at the spirits site.

(Oh I fixed the spelling error in the Avatar and updated it to 2010 since the Certified Insane Pilot Program won't start until next year now!)

Joe
Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by Joseph Saromines
Joined Nov 2009
1 Posts

Hello,
Also a new member residing at Kirkland Washington. Started in 1966 in Honolulu with my first rc plane being a falcon 56 controled by a Heath Kit in mode two. Have been away for about 12 years and returned to see some fancy flying with gas engines. Jumped right into gas engines with my first gaser being a Camden Yak 54 with an 87" wing span. I shook so bad on my first flight that I had to have a colleague take it over and trim it for me. Oh, that dl 50cc with a 22x8 prop scared the heck out of me but I overcame the fright when I discovered how easy the engine started with just one flip.
Joseph
Joseph Saromines is offline Find More Posts by Joseph Saromines
Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2009
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Saromines View Post
Hello,
Also a new member residing at Kirkland Washington. Started in 1966 in Honolulu with my first rc plane being a falcon 56 controled by a Heath Kit in mode two. Have been away for about 12 years and returned to see some fancy flying with gas engines. Jumped right into gas engines with my first gaser being a Camden Yak 54 with an 87" wing span. I shook so bad on my first flight that I had to have a colleague take it over and trim it for me. Oh, that dl 50cc with a 22x8 prop scared the heck out of me but I overcame the fright when I discovered how easy the engine started with just one flip.
Joseph
Joseph,
Good to hear from you. A member of our club has that same Camden Yak 54 and it is a beauty. I haven't made the leap to gas yet simply for financial reasons. I'm excited for you and wish you many happy flights with that beautiful plane!
-Mike

Quick Reply