logo
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by CJLaquterbach
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Help!
1/3 Cherokee 180 - What is it worth?

My father built a 1/3 Scale Piper Cherokee in 1993. Since his passing, I decided to donate it to the Piper Museum in Lock Haven PA. Can someone give me some guidance about how to place a value on the Model?

It is a flying model. It has a Saito FA 300T, equiped with a Bendix type starter he designed. It has a JR X347 radio with 7 channels and 10 servos.

Interesting enough, after he built it, he was leery of his piloting prowess, so he built another 1/4 scale version of the same plane to learn to fly with. That model is at the museum as well.

I have a ton of documentation that he created to enter it into the 1993 Toledo show. I believe it took a 2nd place award in whatever category he competed in.

Any help would be appreciated.
CJLaquterbach is offline Find More Posts by CJLaquterbach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Extra Extras, I'm all about it
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2007
2,537 Posts
That looks real nice. I used to own a 1968 Piper Arrow (180). I don't know what the actual value would be but i'm guessing its in the $3000.- $7000+ range.
Extra nuts is offline Find More Posts by Extra nuts
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
Beautiful plane. It is easily worth $5-6K, but will someone pay for it? Most of it's actual value is diminished due to it's age. For safety and reliability reasons, the electronics and fuel system would likely need to be replaced it it were ever to fly again. Giving it to a museum, the donation value could easily be considered in the $10K range due to it's beautiful detailing. If you wanted to sell it, you would be lucky to get $2K.

Good luck! I'm guessing you are the little boy pictured next to the model. If my dad built something like that, I'd be honored to have it displayed in a museum!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 10-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
Beautiful plane. It is easily worth $5-6K, but will someone pay for it? Most of it's actual value is diminished due to it's age. For safety and reliability reasons, the electronics and fuel system would likely need to be replaced it it were ever to fly again. Giving it to a museum, the donation value could easily be considered in the $10K range due to it's beautiful detailing. If you wanted to sell it, you would be lucky to get $2K.

Good luck! I'm guessing you are the little boy pictured next to the model. If my dad built something like that, I'd be honored to have it displayed in a museum!

+1. Agree 100%.
carrid02 is offline Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 10-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
Cherokee 180

CJ,
Glad to know that bird and it's smaller cousin is still around! I was the one that flew the smaller one up at Tri-County Barnstormers big bird fly in a few years ago. The flying stab on that one gave us a little excitement that day along with a defective receiver crystal but I managed to get it back on the ground in one gorgeous piece!
They are both beautifully crafted planes. Joe was a master craftsman and a dear friend. PM me if you want to talk about them.
Terry Foote
"WangoTango"
Conroe, Tx.

BTW: Just looked at the photo credit of the picture of Joe kneeling with the 180 and the picture was taken by Kevin Fotorny.... He's no longer with us. Probably flying with your Dad and my son Kyle.
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 10-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Boy in Picture

Thanks! That boy in the picture is my son. An interesting footnote - My son at the time of this picture said "PaPap, why do I make you nervous?

I am sure anyone on this site can understand why!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Terry,

Nice to hear from you. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you subscribe here. If I can figure out how to PM, I will do so!

Coleman
Old 10-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by RCVFR
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Aug 2008
54 Posts
CJLaquterbach, Funboy's response is right on the mark. Selling value is one thing, but what you are looking at is "appraised value", and that could easily be in the $10,000 range. Ask the museum if they can provide some guidance (without costing you anything), otherwise, just go with the $10,000 value. It is a one of a kind, there are no other identical examples to compare it with. It is a unique offering.
RCVFR is offline Find More Posts by RCVFR

Quick Reply