logo
This thread is privately moderated by Huckeneer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by Huckeneer
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jan 2006
1,610 Posts
What happened to the Hobby?

What is the deal with this RcGroups fly in at the Toledo, Golf Dome?

I kind of want to go to the E-TOC and I kind of want to fly. Why is this such a bad thing? I am not picking sides, but I just don't get it. I think there are some that don't really want to go to the E-TOC because it does not interest them and there are some that do want to go because its there thing to watch the Pro's go at it. Why should this be a big deal? Yes its the same time as the E-TOC, but for those that want to fly there is this.

What happened to having fun in this hobby?
Huckeneer is offline Find More Posts by Huckeneer
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts
Re: What happened to the Hobby?

Let me just first say I'm not taking sides either, but I look at it this way. What if someone was upset because they couldn't fly at the Tucson shootout so they went and started their own event? The ETOC, the Tucson shootout, the Masters, XFC, Nats etc,etc are spectator driven competition events. It takes enormous amounts of money to stage these events and part of that is recouped on admission fees, advertising from sponsors.

So now you start a competing event at the same time and you draw the spectators away. Which means you draw money away also. There are many more fly-in type of events during the year then there are large spectator crowd attracting events.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with what is being done here. I would be saying the same exact thing for any type of large event that was in a similar situation.
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by PLANKBONE
Do Work
Tulsa Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2006
1,040 Posts

I'll take a side.... ETOC...no brainer. I rahter watch the best electric indoor pilots in the world hash it out, than wait for frequency pins and watch a people turn left...
PLANKBONE is offline Find More Posts by PLANKBONE
Old 03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

I think what they are doing in on purpose to sabotage the ETOC, they are even offering free stuff at the door, that's how desperate they are but it is not going to work, I'd rather be watching the best of the best compete, I am not that desperate to fly, there is plenty of time for that.
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Cheaper than Botox
San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
786 Posts

Good for everyone. I think there are points to both sides and totally get what you guys are saying.

If policy holds true at FG, it is time to...... close this thread!!!!!!
MetHerInBaghdad is offline Find More Posts by MetHerInBaghdad
Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by PLANKBONE
Do Work
Tulsa Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2006
1,040 Posts

close this thread?...... opinions don't close threads on FG. Its all good.
PLANKBONE is offline Find More Posts by PLANKBONE
Last edited by PLANKBONE; 03-04-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

No opinions are fine, its bashing thats not tolerated.

I will be attending the ETOC, why you may ask?
Because you can see some of the best pilots in the world competing with equipment we all can afford.

When you watch the TAS or Masters, there are planes there that could run $12,000+ that most of us just can't pocket.

But with the ETOC 99.9% of the planes can be had for a few hundred bucks, and you can really see what someone with skilled hands can do with that same airplane you could own.

I can go fly in a golf dome.. any other weekend, I'd rather attend the superbowl of foamies.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by Giddy-up
Joined Feb 2007
22 Posts

You just don't get it? Well why don't you ask Dave Brown? Seems as though AMA isn't too keen on letting to events happen within a 100 mile radious during the same weekend. Call it proffessional courtesy or common sense. For that matter why not just let somebody rent a pavillion and sell tickets to vendors who can't get into the big show at reduced prices? This is just stupid.
Giddy-up is offline Find More Posts by Giddy-up
Old 03-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts

well i for one dont think its right to do what they are doing, but i guess that the people or (company) that are donating the items do. i also dont think that just because we all dont agree on things that threads are to be closed. i mean we wouldnt even know about it, IF it wasnt brought to us via the posts on the other site. it should have never gotten to the publics eyes. this should have been keept via phone and not brought to public eyes. we here at fg allways say have positive thoughts and posts but i guess it dosent hold true for us on other sites????????
i just couldnt beleive what i was reading on the other site.and then have it reposted HERE???? but thats just my opion. and yea i know what they say about opions. well thats all i got to say
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

True that James, and the exact reason I'm closing this down.

Mr. Bourke responded, answered 1/4 of my questions, and made his point. I will stand by my point, and support the fact that maneuvering like this isn't cool, and the motives are transparent. It is my opinion that the concept of their event has nothing to do with the modelers as they would have you believe, but more to do with sticking a hot pokey into the good people who wouldn't let them have their way with The ETOC. That is what's going on here folks.

BTW, it's also important to note the reason you didn't see a broadcast from The XFC last year, or The GPEF this year was because Bourke pushed FG out. Think about that one. At no point did you see FG try to strong arm anyone, but instead we respectfully ate our cake, moved on, and did our best to bring the members great coverage from other venues.

The long of the short of it is this - While The ETOC is not a FlyingGiants event, we support the hard working folks who put it on, and the pilots, and their skills that truly make this event a world class competition. We also look forward to supporting all events of this kind, and providing a high level of respect to all organizers alike.

This is officially a dead issue, and we're moving forward. Thanks for listening to our side.

Best - MD
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax

Quick Reply