logo
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by Richo
Reliving the dream!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,088 Posts
Hi Brad, My personal opinion is that the 150 is overkill, I found there was nothing the 120 combo wouldn't do with authority. I also prefer canisters over pipes, the added C of G issues and the difficulty with throttle transition is on most occasions not worth the bother.

I have used several different canisters, MTW and KS. I have also used 150 sized KS (KS95's) cans with the 120, which did produce a slight improvement in RPM. But the larger size of KS95's doesn't suit all models, and it's far easier to fit KS86's or MTW TD75's.

My preference is for KS canisters (over pipes), front or rear exits, it really doesn't matter, whatever suits the airframe best. Front exits suit the CARF Edge better, as the landing gear mount sits quite high, which makes it difficult to get the stingers to exit without adding fairly long extensions.

As for the variants in the CARF Edge, I have built 2 of these, one for the CARF manual and one about a year later for a customer. The fist one took a whole lot of work to get the C of G, and in the end I ended up using 250 grams of lead. The 2nd one I had no problems obtaining the desired C of G, without adding lead. I'm more than certain the wing had been moved back 25mm.
Richo is offline Find More Posts by Richo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by BearBow
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Oct 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Hi Brad, My personal opinion is that the 150 is overkill, I found there was nothing the 120 combo wouldn't do with authority. I also prefer canisters over pipes, the added C of G issues and the difficulty with throttle transition is on most occasions not worth the bother.

I have used several different canisters, MTW and KS. I have also used 150 sized KS (KS95's) cans with the 120, which did produce a slight improvement in RPM. But the larger size of KS95's doesn't suit all models, and it's far easier to fit KS86's or MTW TD75's.

My preference is for KS canisters (over pipes), front or rear exits, it really doesn't matter, whatever suits the airframe best. Front exits suit the CARF Edge better, as the landing gear mount sits quite high, which makes it difficult to get the stingers to exit without adding fairly long extensions.

As for the variants in the CARF Edge, I have built 2 of these, one for the CARF manual and one about a year later for a customer. The fist one took a whole lot of work to get the C of G, and in the end I ended up using 250 grams of lead. The 2nd one I had no problems obtaining the desired C of G, without adding lead. I'm more than certain the wing had been moved back 25mm.
THANKS Richo,
Do you know how or where to measure that wing position, so I can tell which version I have. My concern is that mine was built 13 Dec, 2011, and just now shipped.....I'll be really pissed if this is really old stock and has the older/forward wing, but is just now being sold to the public....essentially to get rid of it. Where would I measure from to determine which wing? Thanks much. And appreciate the muffler insights. I'll stick with the DA120 and KD86's.
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Richo
Reliving the dream!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
THANKS Richo,
Do you know how or where to measure that wing position, so I can tell which version I have. My concern is that mine was built 13 Dec, 2011, and just now shipped.....I'll be really pissed if this is really old stock and has the older/forward wing, but is just now being sold to the public....essentially to get rid of it. Where would I measure from to determine which wing? Thanks much. And appreciate the muffler insights. I'll stick with the DA120 and KD86's.
I noticed at the front anti rotation location on the fuse, I could see a fine mark from the mould where the position used to be. I didn't have another model to measure against.

To be honest I wouldn't get to stressed about it, for me I would prefer the model with the longer tail moment and add the weight (if I had to), than the slightly shorter (tail moment) version. But both models I built flew really well, and I could live happily with either one.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by BearBow
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Oct 2012
274 Posts
Does anyone recall where the discussion was about using McMaster bushings and aluminum tubing to replace the heavy CARF brass aileron and rudder hinging solution?
I can't seem to find it....thought it was in this thread....maybe the 3M Extra?
Thanks
Brad
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by Jatrizzy
United States, TN, Sparta
Joined Jul 2011
1,224 Posts
I thought it was discussed in 35% krill thread by pisterolia.
Jatrizzy is offline Find More Posts by Jatrizzy
Old 02-25-2020, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by Ultimatefan
Germany, Bavaria
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
Hello Edge Fans,

I finished mine, with a new 3w 140b4. BUT!! The CG on the Manual is 140mm. This is a Problem. I must put 450g on the front to the Cowl to balance it.

Can you please help me and say me your flown CG?

Thanks a lot!!!

Regards
Michael

Sorry the first picture is wrong��
Ultimatefan is offline Find More Posts by Ultimatefan
Old 02-25-2020, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by Richo
Reliving the dream!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatefan View Post
Hello Edge Fans,

I finished mine, with a new 3w 140b4. BUT!! The CG on the Manual is 140mm. This is a Problem. I must put 450g on the front to the Cowl to balance it.

Can you please help me and say me your flown CG?

Thanks a lot!!!

Regards
Michael

Sorry the first picture is wrong��

Wow! You have a 4cy engine and you have to add weight to achieve the C of G!!!
No disrespect, are you measuring correctly! I only needed to add 250grams using a DA120.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by Ultimatefan
Germany, Bavaria
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
What can i meassure wrong with 145mm from the leading edge? Its also 15mm from the Front ob the wing tube.
I think the Problem is my chosen Design its the RB Design from the Edge of Pete Mcleod. Its all wrapped and the white foil is heavy...
Ultimatefan is offline Find More Posts by Ultimatefan
Old 07-11-2023, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by Hibrass
Farmington WV
Joined Oct 2007
325 Posts
Hello Everyone...

I know a necro post but I rolled a natural 20, so go figure..... ;-)

I thought I would try and post a couple of pics of my finished Edge... Like after over 10 years... And my efforts to create a lighter hinge pins...
Hibrass is offline Find More Posts by Hibrass
Old 07-11-2023, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by Hibrass
Farmington WV
Joined Oct 2007
325 Posts
Composite Hinge Pins

Okay folks this is my effort for make a lighter composite hinge pins for my 540... I used K&S 4mm AL tubing and Karbxon 3mm x 1.5mm carbon fiber tubing... Pictures below...

The results were pretty good!

Factory Aileron pin weights 45grams per wing the finished composite pin weights only 12grams.

The Elevator pin weights 17grams each and the composite pin weights only 5.2grams.

The Rudder pin weights 22grams and the new pin weights only 7grams.

The average savings is a consistent 2/3rds of the weight of the factory pins! Another benefit is I was able to reduce my nose ballast by 5ozs for a total weight savings of nearly a 1/2 of a pound! Win/Win!

For the construction I used 1inch lengths of AL tubing at each bearing point and half inch sections for the lead and tail of the carbon rod. The AL sections are held in place with Medium CA. I did dress the leading and trailing edge of each AL tubing section to help feeding into the each control surface. If anyone has any questions just let me know!
Hibrass is offline Find More Posts by Hibrass

Quick Reply