Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
I was wondering as well about the best method. I ended up using M1100G and face gluing, then I built up a fillet on the inside with Epoxy when I epoxied the blind nuts in. I installed all eight tabs to keep the canopy lined up, but only put screws in three of them.

I'm still debating on installing pins in the front, but am thinking if the hatch took an exit it may as well not ruin the top of the cowl on it's way off.
I was thinking something similar...the hatch is pretty light weight so I am sure it will be plenty strong.

I put dowels in the front of mine. I don't think they are completely necessary.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Sorry, I meant that I put screws in six of the tabs, three on each side. Did you mount your servo rails / boxes before or after you sheeted?
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I meant that I put screws in six of the tabs, three on each side. Did you mount your servo rails / boxes before or after you sheeted?
I put rails in before sheeting. I used basswood instead of ply. Some people say it can split but from my testing before hand it seems to work better than ply. I decided against boxes since they would be a lot of work to make with the limited tools I have(wish I had a laser). I haven't cut the sheeting away so I don't know how it will look just yet but if need be I will make some little ply doublers to go around the servo...like what 3dhs includes with some kits for throttle/choke.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
I put rails in before sheeting. I used basswood instead of ply. Some people say it can split but from my testing before hand it seems to work better than ply. I decided against boxes since they would be a lot of work to make with the limited tools I have(wish I had a laser). I haven't cut the sheeting away so I don't know how it will look just yet but if need be I will make some little ply doublers to go around the servo...like what 3dhs includes with some kits for throttle/choke.
If you need some laser cut pcs, send me a pdf. or a scan of a drawing with dimensions and I will cut some and mail them to you. You have answered so many questions for me already it's the least I can do. I do free-standing servo mount boxes for throttle servos in all my planes (like what you get with typical ARF these days).
Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
If you need some laser cut pcs, send me a pdf. or a scan of a drawing with dimensions and I will cut some and mail them to you. You have answered so many questions for me already it's the least I can do. I do free-standing servo mount boxes for throttle servos in all my planes (like what you get with typical ARF these days).
I appreciate that. I will let you know if I need something once I cut the sheeting off of the servo bays. I will put some boxes in my next build for sure. I might come up with something for the throttle servo on the Aerotech but I will worry about that after I get the motor on.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
OK, what do you do at the golf course, in South Dakota, in late December when there is no snow and it's 40+ degrees and no wind...........YOU FLY!!!

Here's a few of RobbinsP tearing it up. Almost had a tree, but luckily Dora the Explorer was in control (for his little girl, we're not that strange).
Old 12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I gave my low emotional Extra a smack down:
Old 12-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
We blew off the sand trap, but the trees were just a little close to make some rudder tracks in the sand......have to save that for next time.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
We did some flying yesterday also. At the flying field...
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Very nice!!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Quote:
OK, what do you do at the golf course, in South Dakota, in late December when there is no snow and it's 40+ degrees and no wind...........YOU FLY!!!

Here's a few of RobbinsP tearing it up. Almost had a tree, but luckily Dora the Explorer was in control (for his little girl, we're not that strange).
Oh man, I was waiting for a call today.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
I was working,kinda at least til T showed up...
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Well, another long weekend and did not do jack with my airplane project

I did go in for a few hours on Monday to finish up the cowl install. There was a fair amount of swearing at it, not because it was hard, but because things did not fit quite right. As noted before the canopy foam must have been a little short because I had to squeeze it together and add material to git it to match the F2A former. I think the foam should have been the actual size of the F2A so that I could sheet over top of it, however the cowl would still have been about 1/4" too tall.

I had to trim off 3/8" from the cowl height tapered to 0" at the front. After about a dozen times with the cowl off and on again I got it to fit so that the cowl and canopy deck have a fairly clean line on top, the split joint looks good and the spinner is centered on the cowl.

I was going to sheet my rudder foam this afternoon, but it is a little jagged from the wire cutting and I would have had to sand a ton off to get it smooth enough to use 30NF. I sanded the larger groves down and smoothed the "waves" in the rudder and the shucks. Then I installed the sheeting with Gorilla glue instead so that will sit for the night and most of tomorrow.

Lastly I got started cutting the canopy shell, but had to go home to work on some non-airplane related laser work for the night so I'll have to pause here for today.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by pittsman44
Joined Oct 2009
208 Posts
Whoever cut that foam has no clue what they are doing.
pittsman44 is offline Find More Posts by pittsman44
Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by Bam Bam
Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
3,383 Posts
Yes, I think Matt should not cut the foam.
It needs to be done right or we are just pis s ign money up the wall.

I had the same problems with the canopy fit, but lucky I found this and did the cowl first, then I built up the canopy with 3/8 balsa sticks. Even then it was not right.
Bam Bam is offline Find More Posts by Bam Bam

Quick Reply