Welcome to The FlyingGiants! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Welcome to The FlyingGiants Community! We're all about fun, and inside you'll find the greatest, friendliest, and most helpful group of people around! If this is your first time visiting, please check out site, and click here to sign up! We hope to see you soon!!

Go Back   FlyingGiants > Giant Scale Planes > Airframes and Kits
Forgot your password? Create a new account

Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
stevehookem
Doo It! Doo It!

Default What plane for Evolution 35cc Radial?

I really want to get the Evolution 35cc Radial (http://www.evolutionengines.com/Prod...ProdID=EVOE735). However, I've never had a radial before and understand that they are heavier and have less pull than gassers within the same displacement range. (Is that that assumption correct?)

What would be a good match for this engine? I would like something that would use a radial--and I was leaning to a Stearman. A warbird would be nice too. I also considered the Aeroworks Cessna 195 but they told me it was too much power and too heavy for that plane even though they recommend the DLE-30. Exactly the thing I was worried about!
stevehookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
MODE 1

More or less. I own a few Moki radials, same thing. They do weigh considerably more than their 2st equivalents but they have other appeals. You dont get the RPM's but you do get more torque so a big but slower prop can be used to good effect.
Funny you say a Stearman as that was my first thought before reading all your post. A Sopwith Pup would also work well. I think a bipe would be better than a mono wing. At this scale wing loading is going to be high and you could use as much wing area as you can find to make it friendly.
MODE 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
stevehookem
Doo It! Doo It!

Any ARF Stearmans out there that I could hang that radial on? Earl Cherry was a family friend. I'd like to make a plane with his livery.
Attached Thumbnails
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	AirShowAct_1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	456317 31.0 KB · Views: 39

stevehookem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
skypup
Flyin' Around

Quote: Originally Posted by MODE 1
View Post
More or less. I own a few Moki radials, same thing. They do weigh considerably more than their 2st equivalents but they have other appeals. You dont get the RPM's but you do get more torque so a big but slower prop can be used to good effect.
Funny you say a Stearman as that was my first thought before reading all your post. A Sopwith Pup would also work well. I think a bipe would be better than a mono wing. At this scale wing loading is going to be high and you could use as much wing area as you can find to make it friendly.
Too much engine for a 1/5 Pica Waco bipe (72"span).
skypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Magneto
Flyin' Around

The Great Planes Stearman ARF will work with the 35cc radial.
Lots of info here; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10723075

I'm going to build the military version this winter.

Steve
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote