Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Find More Posts by Deathbeast
Joined May 2009
20 Posts
Re: DL-30 / DLE-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijody View Post
You mean these?
Man Oh Man....I have been reading this thread since day one. I own three of these engines, two are flying perfect and one still brand new in the box.....all Side carb. It amazes me that the industry changed the design, and much of it had to do based on the concerns of people, in this and other forums, that the side carb was questionable....now I look at what Jody and others have to do to get it to mount, and I shake my head. I hope that they do not change the design of fire wall boxes of airplanes to fit the Rear Carb Version, or soon I will have to post a thread showing how I had to extend the firewall for my side carb....lol....Anyway, thanks for the pictures jody, it realy illustrates how little material you need to hold 30cc's on the front of an aircraft.....cheers

Neil
Deathbeast is offline Find More Posts by Deathbeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Joined Feb 2010
10 Posts

Received the rear carb conversion for the DLE30 and installed it Friday
I got a couple of feet of 5/8" 6061 aluminum rod from the Metal
Supermarket and cut off 2 1/2" lengths. Drilled out the ends to about 3/4" and tapped them for the 5mm bolts. Cut the heads of 4 off the bolts to make studs and ran them into the existing "T nuts" in the firewall and ran in the standoffs. They actually lined up with the rear bolt holes on the motor! I found that installing the servo at a angle just cleared the left side standoffs and I mounted the ignition module on the right side just ahead of the needles on the carb. A Xoar 18X10 prop completed things.
Saturday I took it outside and 6 flips and she fired on choke. Three more and she ran. So up to the field today (Sun.) and tuned her up best I could (high end - low end - high end), Flew it and she was solid as a rock. Good steady low end and good high end with smooth transition. Sounded so good I forgot to tach it but got in three flights. Still "burbles" in lower mid range but seemed to be a little less with each flight. Think it is just a breaking-in thing with this motor. Lots of power on this 21lb 1/4 scale SuperCub. Most fun I've had with this plane since I decided to throw out the Quadra 41 anchor hanging on the front. Moving the motor forward to accomodate the rear carb also shifted weight forward and allowed me to throw away the 10oz. steel weight I had to use to balance this very light motor. So now I can say I'm impressed with this little powerhouse. Next is to fly her on floats and I'm sure it will be a blast!!
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Last edited by SuperCub Man; 06-20-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Hesperia Michigan USA
Joined Feb 2006
570 Posts

Super Cub man:
Sounds like the rear carb version came out good for you. If you get a chance, post a photo of the Cub on the water...using floats ! Capt,n
Captinjohn is offline Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by GoldKraft
Joined May 2009
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub Man View Post
Thanks Jody - I guess those were the ones. I couldn't see them at the time as I wasn't registered - but unfortunately they won't help me. If I had a box on the bow of my aircraft like on yours and other ARF types, I'd have no problem. But I'm mounting mine on a 1/4 scale Cub with a solid firewall with gas tank just behind it so I can't punch holes through the forewall. I made 4 2-1/2" standoffs and now trying to layout all the junk I have to mount on the available firewall space. Since the throttle axis is at an angle (45 degrees?) it is a real problem to situate the servo at the right angle and running a push rod from the servo location inside the fuse would mean passing it right through the middle of the scaled up cabin!! Also the stanoffs interfere with the throttle arm!
Oh well. I guess that's why I love this hobby. Challenges - always challenges!!
No need to have the tank right behind the firewall with a gasser. Im doing a 1/4 scale clipped wing cub and my tank is going to be near the CG . But I see you are doing a scale cabin so this will not work for that.

You should post a pic or two...sounds like a great plane
GoldKraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldKraft
Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captinjohn View Post
Super Cub man:
Sounds like the rear carb version came out good for you. If you get a chance, post a photo of the Cub on the water...using floats ! Capt,n
Your wish ... etc!
This is last years color scheme but the air frame is the same and of course the motor is different. However it will look the same and performance will be at least equal but I think probably better being 12 to 16 oz. lighter. Third pix is the current version - going on floats in July.

Yes Goldcraft - my cockpit is fully detailed and I have to use a 10oz (maybe it's a 12oz.) tank to fit it in the space avail. behind the firewall. But the advantage of gas is it doesn't gobble the fuel like a nitro engine so a smaller tank is possible allowing lots of fly time!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by Koal
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Aug 2007
95 Posts

Anyone heard if there is a chance that DL might make a 60cc twin out of top end of these engines? I'm not trying to start a rumor, just curious. I would love it, a little more power than the 55 (yes, somewhat heavier so probably no more performance). I would think that the result would be a nice smooth running engine that would be easy to fully enclose in the cowl of most 50cc size a/c.

Perhaps there isn't much interest in that and it wouldn't be viable to do, but here's hoping!

Brad
Koal is offline Find More Posts by Koal
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by Deathbeast
Joined May 2009
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub Man View Post
Received the rear carb conversion for the DLE30 and installed it Friday
I got a couple of feet of 5/8" 6061 aluminum rod from the Metal
Supermarket and cut off 2 1/2" lengths. Drilled out the ends to about 3/4" and tapped them for the 5mm bolts. Cut the heads of 4 off the bolts to make studs and ran them into the existing "T nuts" in the firewall and ran in the standoffs. They actually lined up with the rear bolt holes on the motor! I found that installing the servo at a angle just cleared the left side standoffs and I mounted the ignition module on the right side just ahead of the needles on the carb. A Xoar 18X10 prop completed things.
Saturday I took it outside and 6 flips and she fired on choke. Three more and she ran. So up to the field today (Sun.) and tuned her up best I could (high end - low end - high end), Flew it and she was solid as a rock. Good steady low end and good high end with smooth transition. Sounded so good I forgot to tach it but got in three flights. Still "burbles" in lower mid range but seemed to be a little less with each flight. Think it is just a breaking-in thing with this motor. Lots of power on this 21lb 1/4 scale SuperCub. Most fun I've had with this plane since I decided to throw out the Quadra 41 anchor hanging on the front. Moving the motor forward to accomodate the rear carb also shifted weight forward and allowed me to throw away the 10oz. steel weight I had to use to balance this very light motor. So now I can say I'm impressed with this little powerhouse. Next is to fly her on floats and I'm sure it will be a blast!!
Great stuff!

I would love to see some video of the DLE 30 pulling around a 21 lb plane!!! Excellent!

I was out yesterday morning with a couple of friends...It was early and I didn't feel like tearing on things too much, so I started to do some endurance testing on my DLE...I started flying my Sbach around on 1/3 throttle, nice gentle flying.

I normally do 10 mins a flight, 12 OZ tank, land and refuel.

My first flight I went to 15 mins, landed and was amazed that the tank was almost still full at low throttle....hahahah....lol...who knew that if you throttloe down fuel consumption goes way down on these things...lmao

Second flight I did 24 Mins and landed and was blown away.

Thrid flight I went to 30 mins 26 seconds, landed and still had 3-4 Oz of full left in a 12 OZ tank.

I had enough power on to just pull it nicely in the air for some nice scale aerobatcis....
Deathbeast is offline Find More Posts by Deathbeast
Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by super_nova
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts

I know I was told on here, this engine could just keep running happily on a 32:1 oil mixture, but I'm curious, will I get more power out of it switching to a lower oil mixture? I'm working on my 4th gallon right now, been running 32:1 with stihl premium oil and a Xoar 19x8. I'm flying it on a 12.5 lbs (dry) Extreme Flight 78" Extra and I'd like to squeeze a bit more power out of it without putting a pipe on it. I've been using this setup for my entry into IMAC this year and I'm finding I run out of power on my uplines on windy days sometimes. I can compensate for this by keeping maneuvers smaller of course, but I wouldn't mind a bit more power.

I'm going to give the Xoar 19 3DA prop a shot next. From what I've heard here, it'll give a better pull on the engine. But now that I'm also about at the point where I could start changing oil mixtures, I'm just wondering if that would help at all. This is my first gasser, so I'm not too familiar with them!

Jason
super_nova is offline Find More Posts by super_nova
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

You will find that MORE oil, not less, gives more power...
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Joined Feb 2010
10 Posts

Deathbeast - Will make a short video next time out! Really nothing unusual, but surprisingly responsive!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Lurker
Antioch, Tennessee, USA
Joined Jan 2008
14,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcign View Post
I've got bottles of Pennzoil laying around. Would I be okay just dumping that stuff in my current Pennzoil mix until I hit 25:1?
3Dguy is offline Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Rearls
Melbourne Florida
Joined Feb 2008
29 Posts

Jody, Rich here got the new ignition for my 30, ran the engine up (side carb) still no steady high end run. Low end runs good but sounds lean and unsteady on the high end. I have cleaned the carb but no change noted. I don't see any problem. I received the rear carb upgrade and will attempt to install this as soon as I figure out the "hole" I need to cut for it to fit in my SBACH. Not sure how this is going to work out. Seems I will need to build up the firewall a bit.
Well I hope the new reed valves and carb make a real difference in this engine.
Rearls is offline Find More Posts by Rearls
Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by CAT3408
Sweden
Joined May 2008
27 Posts

Hi!
Today I tried to start my new DLE30. The engine did not start, checked the spark plug and no spark. Tried another battery and still nothing.
I get one spark just when i plug in the battery to the ignition but no spark when turning the prop.

I guess there is something wrong with the ignition, but is there anything i could try to do before i send it back ?
Ignition is RCEXL and i have tried both 4,8V and 6 volt battery.
CAT3408 is offline Find More Posts by CAT3408
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by super_nova
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcign View Post
Oh really? So I'm better off just sticking with the 32:1 mixture. Guess I should just stick with the non synthetic stihl oil I've been using too? Any benefit in going to a synthetic oil?
super_nova is offline Find More Posts by super_nova
Old 06-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by 1ken
Broadway, NC
Joined Feb 2010
31 Posts

Name: My Airplanes 004 (Large) (3).jpg
Views: 135
Size: 55.2 KB
Description: