logo
This thread is privately moderated by rrritchey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by averagebrunette
Fun Fly Superstar!! Ta-Daa
Joined May 2008
547 Posts
When I had this installed, I had the EQ-II's mounted in the wing and only 1 Ail wire per wing. It was pretty clean, whats busy about it in the picture is that it's all layed out on a bench. I was wondering about the 7.4v also.
averagebrunette is offline Find More Posts by averagebrunette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Lol. Maybe he thinks he's getting 7.4 out of that sport reg versus the 6.5v Max
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Honestly, virtually every failure of a regulator I fix is because of a direct short during setup. I have seen the Turbo PowerSystem units get planes back on the ground when a shorted servo's leads were on fire. One year when a certain manufacturer seemed to have a servo that failed and shorted I had three people send their units in along with the shorted, melted servo and the melted leads. If you design a regulator with adequate cooling for the application they are as reliable as your receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryhavoc38 View Post
I wasn't comparing the Turbo or Sport Reg with the Powerbox offerings.
I won't use Powerbox hardware.

Let me ask this..

What is the failure rate of a Smart Fly Turbo or Sport regulator?
I am asking to find out if its even a reasonable thought to want to have dual Turbo Regs installed in a plane versus just one.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
The R6014 unit weighs 1.3 oz including wire and Deans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagebrunette View Post
This unit offers all the features of the larger PowerExpander line in regards to buffered clean signal and power distribution, just not the multiple outputs. I don't have the total weight of the unit with me but i'm willing to bet that if you laid it all out in a line the CG would be 1" behind the deans connectors. Seriously, the deans weigh more then the unit. This solves a lot of the weight concerns. Unfortunately I don't have a scale that can accurately weigh it, hopefully Bob has that info somewhere. If not I'll go "test drive" a postal scale at Staples to get the number.
Site Sponsor
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts
My request is simple, longer leads on the EQ10 for rx connection. I always use two rx in my planes and have to use several 6" extensions to make this connection.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi,
Honestly, virtually every failure of a regulator I fix is because of a direct short during setup. I have seen the Turbo PowerSystem units get planes back on the ground when a shorted servo's leads were on fire. One year when a certain manufacturer seemed to have a servo that failed and shorted I had three people send their units in along with the shorted, melted servo and the melted leads. If you design a regulator with adequate cooling for the application they are as reliable as your receiver.

Excellent info
thank you. One turbo reg will be on order soon

Cry
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
an RRS'ish product that handles up to 18 channels?
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
you will be assimilated
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2012
1,097 Posts
I have a question. Which servos need signal buffers and why?

Is there a standard Vih and Vil for servos?

Is there a standard Voh and Vol for receivers?

Thanks (I am trying to figure out the need for something more complicated that a board with two batteries diode or'd).
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by averagebrunette
Fun Fly Superstar!! Ta-Daa
Joined May 2008
547 Posts
That is above my head... Bob is going to have to answer that.
averagebrunette is offline Find More Posts by averagebrunette
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
OK, this gos into folklore about servos. For about 30 years the servos had a standard that was not written down but adhered to. Vih was anything over 3 volts irregardless of servo motor voltage. Vil was 0.8V. This all started to change with digital servos. Sometimes they forgot that CMOS inputs change their threshold with the voltage the IC runs off so the threshold got above 3 volts for servo voltages above 6V and this is when you started seeing problems with 7V systems that had receivers driving the signal voltage at 3.3V. Since they have been designing digital servos all the unwritten rules have been thrown out. I would love to see a written standard that all servo manufacturers stick to where Vih is 3.0V or more no matter what the servo motor voltage is and Vil is 0.8V. They also really, really need a 5.1K pull down resistor on the signal line which most leave off now and this causes electrical ringing and jitter. Its very frustrating to see this wild west show going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I have a question. Which servos need signal buffers and why?

Is there a standard Vih and Vil for servos?

Is there a standard Voh and Vol for receivers?

Thanks (I am trying to figure out the need for something more complicated that a board with two batteries diode or'd).
Site Sponsor
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 PM
you will be assimilated
Joined Jul 2012
1,097 Posts
Okay got it, great info! Based on this, some of the videos I see showing servo problems are making more sense.

Surprised the servo and receiver manufacuters don't get together and come up with a standard. (I'll volunteer to help if two or more major brands want to do this).

They probably won't. Too bad.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi,
I understand your wanting to keep things simple. But I look at it this way. If you get a bad capacitor (and it does happen a lot, especially high voltage caps) then the ignition could start causing a tremendous amount of noise I know the IBEC cannot filter out and there goes your plane. Or you could get an arc from your ignition modules high voltage section back to the battery side and then you have your receiver running off 800V. Sorry, for the price of a battery I value my plane and my customers' planes more than that.
It only falls on deaf ears Bob. Been trying to explain this for years. People just want their IBEC's.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM
you will be assimilated
Joined Jul 2012
1,097 Posts
Getting back to the OP...I have read many of RRR's comments in this thread, and am surprised this market could be a sole source of income. I understand about the processing time....my boy has a little RC business via RCGroups, and though he is very happy about the money he is making (better than a lemonade stand, he has earned enough to buy a 48" airframe) there is no way I would do what he is doing for the amount of time and little money involved.

I love RC, and have thought of I don't know how many different things I could design, but I really can't figure out a way to make it worth my time.

Here is my idea, consistent with some other ideas shared here, and already shot down, but I think I have some points to counter the rationale behind the shoot downs.

Simple diode or board with 3 wire servo connectors going to receiver per servo, no buffering. Optional IBEC port with common mode choke and TVS for IBEC noise and backvoltage concerns. Only sell in 3 packs, or require a minimum order, or figure out a way to reduce processing overhead man-minutes for small orders.

I might even be persuaded to send you a schematic, 4 layer board design files, and bill of materials if you build it, send me a half dozen, and name it the model LoneWolf.

Anyway, good luck. I know as well as you do how difficult it is to find a niche that will be profitable and not be replicated too soon by an outfit in the far east.

Good luck and PM me if you want to ask any questions or exchange ideas.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
I agree, the old analog servos that tended to use a single IC (multiple sourced) and had defined input parameters but the idea is really basic. Vih of 3V (TTL 2.4 would be nicer but would be an enhancement), Vil of 0.8V, these do not change with the servo voltage. A 5.1K 5% pull down resistor on the input signal line helps terminate the signal and reduces any ringing on the leading and trailing edge of the pulse. Seems like this is simple but then maybe not. Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Okay got it, great info! Based on this, some of the videos I see showing servo problems are making more sense.

Surprised the servo and receiver manufacuters don't get together and come up with a standard. (I'll volunteer to help if two or more major brands want to do this).

They probably won't. Too bad.
Site Sponsor
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
This thread makes me feel like poor homer...

Can I have some money now? (0 min 19 sec)
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd

Quick Reply