logo
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by flyinryon
redding ca
Joined Dec 2009
1,023 Posts
Re: 100 CC ARF for IMAC

3dhobbyshop makes an awsome extra its light well built and the owner is the nicest guy you'll ever talk to. I know their are alot of great companies like aeroworks, pilot,carden all would be an awsome choice but 3dhobbyshop is my first choice.
flyinryon is offline Find More Posts by flyinryon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
The biggest problem with the 120 from what I saw is it vibrates a tad more than the 100 does. At least from what I have experienced. Vibration is a killer for a airframe, but I think most airframes out there can handle it. I would just keep a watch out on the airframe if you plan to run a 120. Gotta love the power she puts out though!

with out putting my hands on one directly, sometimes the shaking will go away with break in and leaning out the low end needles. im thinking of selling my 100L and putting on a 120 on my aw300.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Team Twisted!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Mar 2006
5,907 Posts

Has anyone tried out a Vess balance ring on the DA 120 to see if it helped out with vibration/shaking?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by ExtPlt
Joined Jan 2008
290 Posts

Airsiler,
There are lots of great planes out there in the 100cc size. The first thing you need to do is decide how much you want to spend, and what style you like the best. You question is a good one, but with so many different airframes to chose from, you need to decide whether you want an Extra, Edge, Yak, mono wing or bipe.
Once you figure that out, then do a quick search and you should be able to find comments and reviews for the style of plane you have chosen.
The 120 should be a good choice for any 100cc airframe. The 120 gives the 100 size planes a little boost in the power to weight ratio.
Good luck with your choice.
ExtPlt is offline Find More Posts by ExtPlt
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by airsiler
United States, CA, Moorpark
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts

Thanks guys for the input. I really think I want to fly an Extra. I have a Aeroworks 260 50CC plane now, and am building a Dalton 260 35% plane as well. The last time I got heavy into Pattern like 15 years ago, I had one plane an Elan and was moving through the Sportsman class very fast, had a midair. Had no backup plan to fly, took over 6 months to get another plane together, by that time I had lost interest. I want to get a backup plane ASAP to backup the Dalton. I understand that you can never bet a built airplane for performance, but I want something that will be close. No disrespect to any sponsored flyers on here, but 25 years ago I was sponsored by Associated, racing 10th scale cars, all I can say is what look to be stock was not. Very few parts on my car you could buy at the local hobby shop. Not saying its this way with the planes, but because of this I have to be careful.
airsiler is offline Find More Posts by airsiler
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by kevgofly
Marysville, WA
Joined Jan 2006
438 Posts

HYaving just finished up our season in the NW, all season long, every tie I judged a H-9 260, I was impressed. We have several here in the NW in various categories being flown by pilots of varrying degrees of skills, and all of them looked like they had a solid locked in plane. I was very impressed and inspired to look for one myself (although I haven't pulled the trigger yet). For an easy to assemble, great flying ARF, I would certainly consider it. Of course, a used Carden is a great choice as well. And a DA-120 seams like a "no brainer" no matter what 35% you choose. Good luck, hope this helps.
Kev
kevgofly is offline Find More Posts by kevgofly
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by T. Bob
Major League Deadbeat
Munster Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
2,391 Posts

Some good ideas but most of the guys on this site don't know crap about this hobby.

100ccc ARFs for IMAC In this order

1) Used Carden
2) H-9 260 or wait for whats coming out next spring.
2) EF Yak

Yes I know they are two 2s.

So what!
T. Bob is offline Find More Posts by T. Bob
Last edited by T. Bob; 09-29-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by topflight36
Addicted
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Sep 2006
3,051 Posts

I got to fly a Red Aero RC MSXR the other day and it would make a great IMAC bird. Point and snaps stop on a dime and it really holds a line nicely. The one I flew had a DLE 111 on it and it had a ton of power.
topflight36 is offline Find More Posts by topflight36
Old 09-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtPlt View Post
Airsiler,
There are lots of great planes out there in the 100cc size. The first thing you need to do is decide how much you want to spend, and what style you like the best. You question is a good one, but with so many different airframes to chose from, you need to decide whether you want an Extra, Edge, Yak, mono wing or bipe.
Once you figure that out, then do a quick search and you should be able to find comments and reviews for the style of plane you have chosen.
The 120 should be a good choice for any 100cc airframe. The 120 gives the 100 size planes a little boost in the power to weight ratio.
Good luck with your choice.

VERY Well said ...............................
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts

My two cents is to stay witha reputable manufacture, Aeroworks, Extreme Flight Etc. and get the one that you think looks good. I will say I fly Aerowrks 42% 260 and love it. ( I have two and only wish I was a team pilot)
I just test flew the 100cc Aeroworks 300 midwing. It flew like a much bigger plane. The choice betweeen the DA 100 and 120 would be that with the 100 I would use tuned pipes, with the 120 I could probably just go with mufflers. ( BTW the Aeroworks 300 has a complete enclosed pipe tunnel already built, nice. I hope they make this change to the 42% 260..... are you listening Aeroworks hehehhe)
Anyway, tough to go wrong with the leaders....
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by BubbaGump
Heli and Plank Hucker
Beavercreek, Oh United States
Joined Mar 2006
333 Posts

Having flown just about every 35% plane out thats mainstream. Even had a QQ Yak 102 also, I have to say the OMP stuff is the best I have flown. My dad had a 35% Aeroworks Yak it flew nice but was kind of on the heavy side, weight about 28lb with a DA 100(Old version) with stock mufflers, My QQ yak was the same weight woth stock mufflers. On my OMP Extra 300 it has the origianl series DA 100 on MTW 75K cans, with the same servos from my QQ Yak it weighs 26lbs. Each wing half was 8 ounces lighter on my OMP Extra with the same servos and hardware from my QQ yak. With a 3W 85 on a can the plane comes in at 24 lbs. So very light and the planes track very well. But also it comes down to how well the plane is set-up that is the biggest thing.
BubbaGump is offline Find More Posts by BubbaGump
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,773 Posts

I currently fly an EF110 yak and love it.
I had a H9 Extra 260 and I think it flys just as good.
I flew one of the 100cc Sebart Sukhois and was really impressed! I would take a serious look at that one before buying anything else. I didn't really 3d it that much but the precision was some of the best I've flown. Fit and finish appeared to be as good as anyone else if not better.
camss69 is offline Find More Posts by camss69
Old 09-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by swk550
United States, TX, Porter
Joined Jul 2006
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Bob View Post
Some good ideas but most of the guys on this site don't know crap about this hobby.

100ccc ARFs for IMAC In this order

1) Used Carden
2) H-9 260 or wait for whats coming out next spring.
2) EF Yak

Yes I know they are two 2s.

So what!
I agree with you assessment. I have owned all three airplanes. I also have a Pilot 35% Sbach with a DLE-111. I would rate the Sbach at least equal to this list for IMAC. They all fly a great IMAC Intermediate sequence if set up properly.
swk550 is offline Find More Posts by swk550
Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by krayzc
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2007
2,871 Posts

nice
krayzc is offline Find More Posts by krayzc
Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk550 View Post
I agree with you assessment. I have owned all three airplanes. I also have a Pilot 35% Sbach with a DLE-111. I would rate the Sbach at least equal to this list for IMAC. They all fly a great IMAC Intermediate sequence if set up properly.

there are quite a few guys competing with the Sbach in IMAC , doing very well ............. has the ability to fly Unlimited and Invitational also , done right ..............
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks

Quick Reply