logo
Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by CAP232CM
PV,MO
Joined Jan 2006
23 Posts
smoke pump question

I'm thinking about installing a smoke system in my 40% and have some questions. Do I have to run a seperate battery and switch for the TME pump? Can I just run it from the receiver? What are the pros and cons of doing this? Last thing is the TME a good pump or is there one better? Thanks!
CAP232CM is offline Find More Posts by CAP232CM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Joined Jan 2006
571 Posts
Re: smoke pump question

IMHO, if your plane is a built-up, don't do the smoke.
I love it myself, but ruined my first 34% built-up with the smoke oil. It really gets under the covering. I have a Sullivan Skywriter on my Comp-ARF, now, and enjoy the ability to control the smoke volume. The newer TME pumps have that option. The TME I had on my 34% was great, but only on or off. I would run a separate battery to avoid R/F and to make certain your pump doesn't wear down the receiver battery - they use a fair amount of juice (the oil and the battery).

my $.02
Flyinhigh is offline Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

CAP232CM, I have been using the TME pumps for many years with great success, the trick is to install the pump behind and lower than the smoke tank.
I also use the ignition battery for power Fromeco 2600 and 2400 regulated to 6 volts with a separate switch and sometimes I use a little battery to power the smake pump, I also mix smoke with throttle and it works perfect every time.
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

If your TME pump does not regulate speed its simple to do......you just need to find an ESC (car or airplane) and run that inline to the motor. Then you can use your radio to regulate the pump. The main reason........you will find that you will never need full speed on the pump to get good smoke. Infact you'll just waste oil and there will be more of it on your fuse because it just pours out of your mufflers instead of burning up.

I always run a seperate battery (2400 Lion with no regulator) to my pumps. Seperate switch also.

As for not using on a wood plane........Here's my take. Make sure you seal the seams on the bottom of the plane good. Always bring cleaner with you to the field and clean the fuse before you go home from the field. If you stay on top of it , it won't be a problem. Also if you can afford the weight up front.....I always put the pump and all connections in the cowl. That way if it leaks its not in your plane.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by Lear31A
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Joined May 2007
41 Posts

I installed the TME smartsmoker (deluxe) today and I plugged it into a seperate battery and into the receiver. No switch needed. When you turn off your receiver batt., it automatically disables the smoke battery. I plugged it into the gear channel and mixed with throttle. Works good.
Lear31A is offline Find More Posts by Lear31A
Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by bob_nj
United States, NJ, Vineland
Joined Jan 2006
1,478 Posts

I have an SSP-SSD SmartSmoker ™ deluxe package for sale in the swap shop if you or anyone else is interested.

Thanks_bob
bob_nj is offline Find More Posts by bob_nj
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by Pimpy
Joined Feb 2008
9 Posts

Hi! Please help me, I am new here, and new for making fog! I have to know how do you usually set it up?! You always mix with throttle? How? Is there a minimum throttle, when the pump out of order, and when you push harder, then it starts? Please explain!
Thx, Pimpy
Pimpy is offline Find More Posts by Pimpy

Quick Reply