logo
This thread is privately moderated by rrritchey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by snowflake
israel, north part
Joined May 2008
69 Posts
After Using Powerbox, Emcotec and Smartfly in my giants, All I can say is- the smartfly is my first choice. Its easy to use and is doing all I need Perfectly and easily.
As for the price, it is far less expensive than all others, and gives best price to performance. My powerbox costed 800 USD, while my Eq6 only 300. And I had to study few days, just to understand how the PB works.The Smartfly are also the most light ones available(my PB ROyal weights 300gr).
I spend a lot on my planes. expensive airframes and servos and hardware. I will not risk it for a poor setup. I use a power system in all my 100cc and above planes, and so far no issues at all for many years.
I do have one question which always interested me:
HAd anyone ever flown a 150cc with 13 high torque servos, with one receiver and without any power system ??
Gadi
snowflake is offline Find More Posts by snowflake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
Mr. Ritchey's products aren't the only way to solve the problem, but all of his comments about connectors and servos are correct. If you don't deal with the issues one way or another, they will deal with you.

And by the way, his products are an excellent and easy way to deal with the problems.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by crosswind
Never hover on an empty tank
United States, CA, Galt
Joined Nov 2009
611 Posts
Hello rrritchey, now I'm scared to fly my plane! I have a 150 cc Yak with a JR 922 power safe receiver powered by two Duralite 5200 mah packs running 13 Jr 8911 HV servos. My battery leads are all 16 gauge HV wire with EC3 connectors. The JR 922 RX instructions say that it is designed to run multiple HV servos straight through the receiver without the need for a separate power system. I have had no problems with this set up and there are many guys in my club flying the same set up with no problems. I just wonder if multiple is 13 servos or 4!? Is anybody else flying a similar set up and having problems?
crosswind is offline Find More Posts by crosswind
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by DadsToysBG
Bowling Green, Ky
Joined Mar 2006
728 Posts
You have a good start with the powersafe receiver. The next question is how many plugs are being used? And what GA. Wire?
DadsToysBG is online now Find More Posts by DadsToysBG
Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
A PowerSafe receiver can be considered a minimal power system. Spektrum basically reverse engineered my PowerExpander Pro and used that to design the PowerSafe receivers. The only issue I have is that I pulled several apart and who ever they had lay out the PCBs did not really understand how to lay out for high currents in the early versions (they may be better than the 9100 was now), but they are better using a standard type receiver. The only real way to tell how much you are loading the receiver down is to try and capture what your lowest voltage is. A standard DVM is not good enough, its to slow and averages. I am not trying to push my products but my Digital Voltmeter that goes in the plane will capture the lowest voltage it sees during a flight. It samples at 125 Hz. If you can find some other sampling DVM use it but you need to know the lowest instantaneous voltage to make a good decision on if your power setup is protecting your receiver from brown-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
Hello rrritchey, now I'm scared to fly my plane! I have a 150 cc Yak with a JR 922 power safe receiver powered by two Duralite 5200 mah packs running 13 Jr 8911 HV servos. My battery leads are all 16 gauge HV wire with EC3 connectors. The JR 922 RX instructions say that it is designed to run multiple HV servos straight through the receiver without the need for a separate power system. I have had no problems with this set up and there are many guys in my club flying the same set up with no problems. I just wonder if multiple is 13 servos or 4!? Is anybody else flying a similar set up and having problems?
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply