logo
Old 08-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Re: Hangar 9 Pitts 12R "The Beast"

If you want big checkers or invasion stripes on the bottom of the wings... you can always put them there. The Beast scheme is obviously a very specific color scheme. Horizon and Mr. Kimball are very specific about the integrity of this scheme, and in today's copy-cat world, they have to be. They spent a lot of time and money to develop and license the scheme and name, and my guess is they'll spend at least as much money to protect the integrity of the name and colors.

As soon as the Beast is available, other companies will quickly have knock-offs on the street (remember all of the Bulldog schemes?) This is serious business, and I can certainly appreciate Mr. Kimball and Horizon taking every possible step to protect their property.

About a year ago, I was talking to my CompARF rep about my next plane. I'm not graphically creative enough to know what colors variations on an existing scheme would look nice, and I was a little tired of the limited number of standard schemes that they had available. I asked about other schemes that they may have either in inventory or in the works... He mentioned that they had a "Red Bull" version of the plane I wanted, and that was in thier warehouse in Nevada.... but they couldn't sell it because the Red Bull folks didn't authorize them to use the colors and images.

It's a crazy world we live in, but for all the right reasons.... If you like the plane want a few changes to the color scheme, you can make changes yourself, or wait a while and buy a lesser airframe with a knock-off scheme.. but don't expect it to have "Beast" written on it anywhere!
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts

It is a great plane
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Last edited by Jkoch713; 09-07-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts

I undestand why there are royalties, and licences, but Amagine how few ARF or kit companies we would
have today, if they ALL had to pay royalties, for EVERY scale plane produced???

YAK 54, Cap 580, extra (all versions) Edge 540, on on and on.....
QQ's aircraft company would have never existed, because, I doubt he would have
been able to get the royalties to do so!.......

food for though....
Last edited by Jkoch713; 08-02-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by octanehuffer
United States, MN, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts

Then there's reality.
octanehuffer is offline Find More Posts by octanehuffer
Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts

I don't see QQ or Horizon coming on this thread to protech their interests.... I see Mr. Kimball trying to protect his! And to your earlier point, if QQ/Horizon is willing to pay Kimball Enterprises to produce a model replica of the real plane... you damn righ that I would be upset if I saw some foreign company knocking the design off without paying.

It takes a small fortune to keep an airshow plane flying, especially these days. Most of the owners (and pilots) have to spend more time hawking for money than they do actually flying the shows. The investments are huge, and if this business is like most others... the revenues are off sharp lately. If you feel like you've got intellectual property in the design and color scheme of your plane, you better protect it, or others will rob you blind.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by dougpeck
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jan 2007
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545 View Post
I don't see QQ or Horizon coming on this thread to protech their interests.... I see Mr. Kimball trying to protect his! And to your earlier point, if QQ/Horizon is willing to pay Kimball Enterprises to produce a model replica of the real plane... you damn righ that I would be upset if I saw some foreign company knocking the design off without paying.

It takes a small fortune to keep an airshow plane flying, especially these days. Most of the owners (and pilots) have to spend more time hawking for money than they do actually flying the shows. The investments are huge, and if this business is like most others... the revenues are off sharp lately. If you feel like you've got intellectual property in the design and color scheme of your plane, you better protect it, or others will rob you blind.
Absolutely right , Rehn, not only Kimball Enterprises and QQ but every artist/author and singer out there will protect their rights to their work .. it is their right to earn a living. Plus , a very important point to make here is that is is the LAW that says copyrighted work is protected from being pirated.

We all know the Chinese are notorious for illegally copying everything under the sun and selling it all over the world ... that doesn't make it right and I sure don't accept that kind of business. Unfortunately the RC community of manufacturers are not always careful to be on the right side of the law. Good for Horizon (and others, I'm sure) that choose to only sell legal copies of well-known planes.

I, personally , consider it a privelege to pay for the rights to own a near exact copy of a wonderful new plane such as the "Beast" ... I feel I am supporting great companies like Kimball Enterprises and Horizon and the designers / pilots and factory workers that invest their lives and incomes in developing these fine planes.

As a side note, once we buy the Horizon "Beast" we can improve it for our own use by putting stripes/checks anywhere we want to .. the important point is we will own the best and closest copy of the real plane with the finest flying charachteristics possible right from the designers - that's worth a lot to me !

I can't wait to get my hands on one !!
dougpeck is offline Find More Posts by dougpeck
Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by ktreadway
Yak Alcoholic
United States, WV, Marlinton
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts

Well said. I agree I can't wait
ktreadway is offline Find More Posts by ktreadway
Old 08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by Showtime
California
Joined Jul 2006
297 Posts

I like the scheme. I think it will look great in the air. As for distance hell i am always on the deck.
Showtime is offline Find More Posts by Showtime
Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by 3D Master
Keep'em Flying Low!!
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2006
641 Posts

I love the SCHEME!! One of the better scheme's out there IMHO! It's going to match perfectly with the Full Scale Beast so that's another coolness factor! I honestly think in person it will be a lot easier to see than it is in the video, i can see it just fine, Top from Bottom, in the video so im not worried about it one bit. It looks really good! I just can't wait till its out so i can have me a scale aerobat!
Thanks,
3D Master is offline Find More Posts by 3D Master
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by AllBread
Joined Dec 2007
270 Posts

yeah, just remember - canopy is on top, landing gear is on the bottom. Pretty easy to me!
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by 3D Master
Keep'em Flying Low!!
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2006
641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
yeah, just remember - canopy is on top, landing gear is on the bottom. Pretty easy to me!
3D Master is offline Find More Posts by 3D Master
Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Yeah, that's about it... Personaly, I agree that this thing should have another scheme. Something brighter... Just my opinion though.
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpeck View Post
Absolutely right , Rehn, not only Kimball Enterprises and QQ but every artist/author and singer out there will protect their rights to their work .. it is their right to earn a living. Plus , a very important point to make here is that is is the LAW that says copyrighted work is protected from being pirated.

We all know the Chinese are notorious for illegally copying everything under the sun and selling it all over the world ... that doesn't make it right and I sure don't accept that kind of business. Unfortunately the RC community of manufacturers are not always careful to be on the right side of the law. Good for Horizon (and others, I'm sure) that choose to only sell legal copies of well-known planes.

I, personally , consider it a privelege to pay for the rights to own a near exact copy of a wonderful new plane such as the "Beast" ... I feel I am supporting great companies like Kimball Enterprises and Horizon and the designers / pilots and factory workers that invest their lives and incomes in developing these fine planes.

I agree with this to an extent...but the fact is that there isnt any law regarding COPYRIGHTS in CHINA....were the ARF's are being produced. Pirateing has been a problem with anything for many years that the labor/manufacturing has been sent overseas so a corporation can save money. If you ask me, they know they are taking that risk, so if they were so worried about being copied or their designs being stolen, then they should keep the work here at home in the USA so the copyright laws can be enforced. I cringe every time I have to spend my hard earned money on anything that wasnt made here, but because of corporate greed since before we were born, today we really dont have much of a choice. And the greed keeps growing........JMHO of course.
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by dougpeck
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jan 2007
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC3D View Post
I agree with this to an extent...but the fact is that there isnt any law regarding COPYRIGHTS in CHINA....were the ARF's are being produced. Pirateing has been a problem with anything for many years that the labor/manufacturing has been sent overseas so a corporation can save money. If you ask me, they know they are taking that risk, so if they were so worried about being copied or their designs being stolen, then they should keep the work here at home in the USA so the copyright laws can be enforced. I cringe every time I have to spend my hard earned money on anything that wasnt made here, but because of corporate greed since before we were born, today we really dont have much of a choice. And the greed keeps growing........JMHO of course.
I hear you, Mike... just a further comment on the point you made about mfg. keeping their mfg. here in USA to stop China pirating. That will not stop them at all , they can pirate anything even if it was never made in China.. simply buy one here and copy it.

The important point for us as modelers , in my opinion , it to only buy from mfg. who support USA copyright laws and stop buying pirated models . That would be very simple and the mfg. would soon get the message , and it really doesn't matter where the model was mfg. - just that the consumer ( us ) would send the message that we are only going to support the original designers/builders and their chosen distributors - in the case of the "Beast" the original designers / builders of the full-size Beast was JR Kimball Enterprises and their chosen (and only ) distributor of the RC copies was QQ Somenizi and his choice was Horizon who then chose Hanger Nine to produce it. Nice clean easily followed line of legality .

If we as modelers have any doubts as to whether a particular copy of a full-size plane is legal we simply follow the information back to the original designer/builder and ask a few questions. Or you could ask here on FG as well.
dougpeck is offline Find More Posts by dougpeck
Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts

I know of only one "exact" copy of the Internals of a ARF....with in the last few years....

Like I said earlier.... Caps, Edges, Extra's yaks.... NO royalties paid to there creator???

Where is the line drawN?? Should we all get out of paychecks and make them out to them right now/??

The only reason why we are not? Becasue they are not actively going on out and persuing it!!!

I think it is great that Kimball is protecting his plane and name.... I think All of them should.....

I wonder what the cost would be for a 100cc ARF made in USA with all the ROyalties paid??
I am not sure I could afford it???
K. Kimball ENt. has made some for QQ...Perhaps he would know??

Dont copy the COlor scheme, or the Internal Structure's of the planes and that should be just fine with me....

Be carefull what you wish for , you just might get it!!!
Last edited by Jkoch713; 08-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply